Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Battery heater (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/battery-heater-26538/)

subdewd 01-28-2011 02:00 PM

Battery heater

Has anyone hooked up a heater blower to the HV battery duct work? I envision something similar to a hair dryer to plug into household 110v, similar to a EBH only for the battery. Seems like it would enable a quicker transition into deeper hybrid mode.

Billyk 01-28-2011 03:13 PM

Re: Battery heater

2 Attachment(s)
There is a battery heater inside the hybrid battery box:
Attachment 2932
This heater had a wire to connected to the engine block heater (option 41H) for the 05-07 vehicles. Early in the 2008 production run, Ford eliminated the the wired connection to this hybrid battery heater as shown in the photo below:
Attachment 2933
Combining a timing device with the plug in engine block heater can enable one to start the vehicle with the hybrid battery temperature around 60F and engine coolant at 100F.

subdewd 01-29-2011 05:11 AM

I checked mine and the wire is there. Do you know ho long to leave it plugged in at 20F say?
I already have the block heater that I have on for 3 hrs. Do you know a good source for the transformer
that plugs into the battery heater?

Billyk 01-29-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by subdewd (Post 232599)
I checked mine and the wire is there. Do you know ho long to leave it plugged in at 20F say?
I already have the block heater that I have on for 3 hrs. Do you know a good source for the transformer
that plugs into the battery heater?

Am I correct that you have a 2007 Mariner Hybrid? If this is true and your block heater is the Ford OEM (41H option) version, then you are all set to go and do not need a transformer. When you plug in your engine block heater, your hybrid battery heater will function. It appears you do not have a scanguage II device as this piece of hardware can be programmed to tell you a variety of vehicle operations including the hybrid battery temperature. Three hours of "plug in time" at the 20F should be sufficient but I should add, if the vehicle is sitting inside a garage, then the garage is likely warmer than outdoors. Get that scanguage and report back on your findings.

subdewd 01-29-2011 06:08 AM

Should have been more specific, i installed an aftermarket heater from NAPA it works ok, but doesn't have the battery charger or pig tail. I just did a quick search and found a place that supposedly has them.
$113+ . seems high, I'll check with my local dealer. Have you found it effective? It's frustrating having a hybrid and not getting full advantage of it 2 months of the year. I did do the grill block and that helps immensely. Thanks for your help

subdewd 01-29-2011 06:13 AM

One more quick question, did you actually measure the current when it was plugged in? For the charger itself that is. thanks again

Billyk 01-29-2011 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is option 41H:
Attachment 2931
I do not know what components from this photo you need on your vehicle.

Billyk 01-29-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by subdewd (Post 232603)
One more quick question, did you actually measure the current when it was plugged in? For the charger itself that is. thanks again

There is 75 watts only going to the hybrid battery heater-thus the small wire. There is something like 400 watts going into the engine block plug. GPSman1 was the first to post this information back in 2007.

subdewd 01-29-2011 11:28 AM

Ok, so I ordered a 4A 24vdc battery charger, total cost like $30, I know it doesn't have the proper
connectors but it shouldn't be a big deal. Just couldn't see spending 4 times that.
Will keep board posted,

gpsman1 01-30-2011 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by subdewd (Post 232610)
Ok, so I ordered a 4A 24vdc battery charger, total cost like $30, I know it doesn't have the proper
connectors but it shouldn't be a big deal. Just couldn't see spending 4 times that.
Will keep board posted,

I think that should work fine.
The good news is, in my 2005 at least, the HV battery has some sort of built-in thermostat. Heater comes on at 50'F and anything below, and shuts off, or won't go on at 60'F or anything above.

For the record, I'm sure the Ford OEM transformer was pretty cheap.
It was the custom cable that cost an arm and a leg, so you'll be fine with a cut & splice.