Can I plug in my FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Can I plug in my FEH?

I am new to owning a hybrid. Recently I saw were there was a conversion to a Prius that allowed the owner to plug the car in and boost the mpg. Is there such a thing for the Escape? Thanks. Dan

Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I plug in my FEH?

was this it?
http://www.enginer.us/

Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbqdan
I am new to owning a hybrid. Recently I saw were there was a conversion to a Prius that allowed the owner to plug the car in and boost the mpg. Is there such a thing for the Escape? Thanks. Dan
I think I would first consider a tagalong trailer with a highly efficient (miller cycle?) ~25HP genset running on CNG.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Curmudgeon

All joking aside, the Enginer system can boost the mpg, but only if your driving maximizes it's input (ie no lead footing). The Escape is a heavy SUV and it's difficult to get a huge boost from just electrical power unless you use hypermiling techniques. My Escape gets a 25-35% (better in warm weather) boost from the 4kwh enginer kit so instead of 30mpg I'm getting 40-45mpg. ROI would not favor its installation at this point unless your state has tax credits or your ROI equation involves a "feel good" factor.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bbqdan

YES but... it could easily cost $30,000+. Hybrid-Plus out of Boulder, Co. did several conversions starting back in 2007. Our GPS1man actually had inside information, drove one of the first conversion and provided a detailed report on his experience. Hybrid-Plus has merged/reorganized with a new name at http://www.eetrex.com/plugin/. Hymotion had shown a conversion but never delievered a retail kit for consumers to purchase for the Escape unlike the Prius owners who have this option. Cost continues to be an issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Curmudgeon

@BillyK
Did you read the other replies? I have installed the Enginer kit in my 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid for a total cost of $4,000. At least 10% will be a federal tax credit and up to 85% will be a state tax credit (Colorado) once it's qualified. So that's a 25-35% boost in mpg for $600 with all credits. ROI less than 2 years if you drive more than 12,000 miles/year (current gas prices).

Today Prius owners can have the 4kwh kit for somewhat less with a significant boost in mpg.

The Hymotion kit you reference is not being installed for any private customers (I know, I've called them a few times) and is not cost effective anyway.

Bottom line, if you want to drive an SUV that gets 40+ mpg, the Enginer kit is about the only option.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by benichols
@BillyK
Did you read the other replies? I have installed the Enginer kit in my 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid for a total cost of $4,000. At least 10% will be a federal tax credit and up to 85% will be a state tax credit (Colorado) once it's qualified. So that's a 25-35% boost in mpg for $600 with all credits. ROI less than 2 years if you drive more than 12,000 miles/year (current gas prices).

Today Prius owners can have the 4kwh kit for somewhat less with a significant boost in mpg.

The Hymotion kit you reference is not being installed for any private customers (I know, I've called them a few times) and is not cost effective anyway.

Bottom line, if you want to drive an SUV that gets 40+ mpg, the Enginer kit is about the only option.
Can you please tell us the names of the Federal statute that says that adding an after market plug in kit is eligible for a $400 tax credit? Also (for those in Colorado), the name of the statute that gives the 85% state tax credit?

I haven't heard of either. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Curmudgeon

Information regarding federal and state statutes can be found on Enginer's website
http://www.enginer.us

Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by benichols
Information regarding federal and state statutes can be found on Enginer's website
http://www.enginer.us
Thanks. Nothing there about federal programs, and the California program is for new vehicles, not conversions. I gather that the Colorado program is intended to assist enginer, which is based there.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Curmudgeon

http://www.enginer.us/news/view.php/...onversion.html
http://www.enginer.us/news/

There are many states with tax incentives for conversion, not just Colorado. Let me know if you want me to list those states

Quick Reply: Can I plug in my FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands