Can you explain the engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It seems we were all too quick to think things would be the same 2005 to 2008.

My wires for 2005 are violet and violet with orange stripe.
The connector under the hood was round, about the size of a thick felt tip pen... had a dust cap on it when it was unused, and was found on the passenger front fender by the washer fluid fill.

Good luck, but don't treat anything I say as fact, unless you have a 2005!
Cheers! And I look foreward to reading what you figure out for your 2008's.

-John
Hugo, sorry you froze looking for the missing connector, but you have confirmed you do NOT have it on your car at the HV battery. My 08 does at the battery.

I looked at your picture. My 08 has those same two wires on the sidewall, and they are ground wires on a common point.

John-Thanks for the explanation of the size of the connector for the Battery heater. That's the 1st time anybody described what the connector looks like. What you describe makes perfect sense, a capped connector, waiting to have 24VDC plugged into it. Since my 08 FEH has the connector at the battery, it HAS to terminate somewhere, and I assume it is some sort of connector like you describe.

Chris (MyPart) stated he found two wires of the same color and ~20gauge size in the middle connector on the firewall. I looked when my wife got home last night, but I am looking for a two wire connector, not two wires in a multi-wire connector. Puzzle still not solved?

Most things you report on the 2005 model John do apply to the 08, but there are obviously some changes in this year's model that are confusing.

The saga continues, but I have to get back to work for now.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

hey ppl im doin like hybrid cars for a very important school project and if someone like could explain somethings to me about hybrid cars plz??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by Stivi
hey ppl im doin like hybrid cars for a very important school project and if someone like could explain somethings to me about hybrid cars plz??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Do you know anyone that speaks English that can translate for you?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Maybe you guys already have this:
Called my Ford Dealer

The part numbers for 2008 are:

F5RZ6A051B BLOCK HEATER $45 ( Same P/N as 2005 )

8M6Z6B018A WIRE ASSEMBLY $79 ( New P/N for 2008 )

The parts rep. had a line item for HV Bat. charger/heater listed on his page for 2008 with "Not available for 2008."

I asked him if he had a picture of the wire assembley that had a Y spitter for 2005. He said he had the same picture for both years ( literally the same graphic ) so when I asked if 2008 really had the Y cable, and just snapped onto an already exsisting HV battery warmer, he said he had no way to tell.

Does anyone have a factory installed plug-in heater on a 2008? They could just follow the wire from the house plug on back and tell us everything! Thanks!

-John

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
I just looked at my '08 FEH (Build Date: 07/23/08) and there is a connector with two wires going into the battery pack. The colors (primary/secondary) on the two wires are white/blue and brown/white. I looked under the hood and I found wires of the same size/color that terminate within the same connector in the middle connector of the three firewall connectors (dead center, high on the firewall).

Maybe someone has a '08 shop manual/wiring guide and can chase those wires on paper. I can give pics and maybe a pin count location if needed.
Chris, just to clarify. The two wires that you are referencing of the same white/blue and brown/white were not found in a separate connector at or near the firewall. You mean two wires of the same color were located in the multi-wire connector in the middle firewall connector??
Thanks,

Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

What I do is take my garage trouble light, put it on a timer to run from 5 AM to 8 AM daily, snake the cord about 10 feet over to my FEH and place a 100-watt bulb on the floor under the engine. The heat from the bulb rises, warms everything up "a bit" (that's a technical term), and costs me nearly nothing except the electricity and a light bulb every year or so. I don't have a plug-in at work.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi everyone:
A balmy, sunny day here -2C (29F) so I looked under the front fender & followed the 120v block heater wire from the AC plug up to where it reappeared beside the rear of the right front headlight. When I popped off the plastic engine cover, I could follow the wire over the engine & down to where it terminated with the gold coloured plug that is threaded into the engine.

This AC wire run is completely UNBRANCHED, so no wonder that I cannot find any kind of connection for a DC converter/heater. I cannot see anything around the windshield washer cap in the front passenger side of the engine compartment area that resembles a DC converter/heater, and I have already posted a picture showing that there is nothing plugged into the 2-pin connector on the HV battery of my 08FEH (produced date: 1/2/2008).

Just weird - cutting costs? or is there some other tweak that this beast has? Now I am wondering if the wiring harness that does plug into the HV battery would have a different part # (like the 08 block heater plug/wiring does) because it is unbranched too. Went back out & looked under the carpet & no tags or labels to be seen.

Just for information, the block heater wiring had two tape-like labels on it just behind the three prong plug. Here is the information from each label :

label1 = CSA CORD SET 2756 153760 10 AMP 120 V 1200 W 13070-1 PTD IN CAN
label2 = FoMoCo 8M64 6B018 AB Made in Canada C218A
(gpsman1 has a Z instead of a 4 in the label2 string - I checked & my label info is OK)
Guess that I will wait until I can get a ScanGaugeII xGauge to plug in & monitor what is happening.

H

Last edited by hugoland; 01-27-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ken,

You are correct. As best I can tell visually, the white/blue and brown/white wires that run from the battery go to the same connector (along with many other wires) in the center of the three connectors on the firewall.

I still have yet to look any closer as I've been super busy with other work.

Hope my little bit helps.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
Ken,

You are correct. As best I can tell visually, the white/blue and brown/white wires that run from the battery go to the same connector (along with many other wires) in the center of the three connectors on the firewall.

I still have yet to look any closer as I've been super busy with other work.

Hope my little bit helps.
Thanks all. Your info has been helpful. For the 08 owners, whether you have the battery heater plug at the battery or not seems to make no difference. checking the resistance of pins 1 & 6 on the receptacle show infinite resistance, which tells me the heater is not connected internally on the 08. My conclusion is the HV battery feature was discontinued by Ford for this model year?? I don't know why.

And thanks to the Gentleman who traced the EBH 110VAC cord from plug to the gold colored plug (engine heater). That appears to be the extent of the EBH for the 08 mode.

P.S. The light bulb under the engine for several hours is a tried and proven method too I like ideas...

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
Thanks all. Your info has been helpful. For the 08 owners, whether you have the battery heater plug at the battery or not seems to make no difference. checking the resistance of pins 1 & 6 on the receptacle show infinite resistance, which tells me the heater is not connected internally on the 08. My conclusion is the HV battery feature was discontinued by Ford for this model year?? I don't know why.
Likely they found that in actual usage... the battery was capable of starting the engine even when it is cold and it wasn't necessary... so why not cut out the cost of the heater.

They never intended it as a method of upping your MPG. It was included in case someone was trying to start the thing in the frozen Tundra. I can't say I've stressed mine to the max but it started at -10F without any heater just as easily as it does when its warmer out.

The engine block heater was probably found to be sufficient.

Quick Reply: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands