ecvt cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ecvt cooler

Originally Posted by wptski
This has been discussed here before and there are no limits(laws) for towing placed on non-commercial vehicles.

^^^^^BAD INFORMATION ALERT^^^^^^

Ford's maximum rated tow capacity is 1,000 pounds for a 2008 FEH. This thread is not about legal limits but rather what the vehicle is designed to safely tow.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
^^^^^BAD INFORMATION ALERT^^^^^^

Ford's maximum rated tow capacity is 1,000 pounds for a 2008 FEH. This thread is not about legal limits but rather what the vehicle is designed to safely tow.
Hey, legal dude! Read the post prior to my post where "allowed limits" is used. Read almost every thread when some asked about installing a tow hitch. Every time it's a Class Rating higher the it's supposed to be.

If that's what this thread is really about, you mean the OP can't read the Owner's Manual??

I've preached about following Ford's suggested towing/hauling limits way back and was pretty much laughed at, nobody pays much attention to that.

Last edited by wptski; 05-24-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

This has been discussed here before and there are no limits(laws) for towing placed on non-commercial vehicles.
u have a link

Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by supersailor89
u have a link
Sorry as that was probably two years ago if not longer. All I remember was most said those were just suggested limits and the FEH could handle more without damage and there aren't any laws pertaining to personal towing.

I know that back then even Uhaul's Select a Hitch page didn't ask what engine the FE was using!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, legal dude! Read the post prior to my post where "allowed limits" is used. Read almost every thread when some asked about installing a tow hitch. Every time it's a Class Rating higher the it's supposed to be.

If that's what this thread is really about, you mean the OP can't read the Owner's Manual??

I've preached about following Ford's suggested towing/hauling limits way back and was pretty much laughed at, nobody pays much attention to that.
Bill,

You would be surprised at the number of people that don't know what their GVWR is (or stands for) GCWR, maximum axle weight or anything else is. They fail to understand that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the total of the vehicle, gas load, occupants, cargo (everything that is in the vehicle) plus the hitch weight of the trailer. Add to that the maximum towing weight of the trailer and all of it's contents and probably 1/3 or more of the people you see on the road with a trailer are over weight.

Yes, the hitch can be bought that is overrated for the tow vehicle. I can take the 2 1/2", class V receiver from my F350 and bolt it to the F150 but that does make that truck a class V tow rig. When pulling an overweight for the vehicle bumper pull (receiver hitch or similar, not a 5th wheel), you can rapidly get into a "tail wagging the dog" situation that can cause a wreck before you know it.

I would STRONGLY suggest to anyone that they follow the owners manual as far as the maximums on vehicle weight and towing are concerned. The life you save might be mine.....

As far as towing limits are concerned, you are right. In a LOT of states, I can drive an 18 wheeler pulling a 5th wheel with a boat trailer behind that on a regular drivers license. Some states will require that tractor to be de-rated to a class 6 or 7 by removing one of the rear axles, others will require some add-ons (microwave, porta potty, AC inverter) to be classed as a "motor home".

Just think about that the next time you see one of us "old farts" cruising by with our RV.....

Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I read it, which is why I qualified my post. The regulars realize you frequently give out really bad information, the newbies might not.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Bill,

You would be surprised at the number of people that don't know what their GVWR is (or stands for) GCWR, maximum axle weight or anything else is. They fail to understand that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the total of the vehicle, gas load, occupants, cargo (everything that is in the vehicle) plus the hitch weight of the trailer. Add to that the maximum towing weight of the trailer and all of it's contents and probably 1/3 or more of the people you see on the road with a trailer are over weight.

Yes, the hitch can be bought that is overrated for the tow vehicle. I can take the 2 1/2", class V receiver from my F350 and bolt it to the F150 but that does make that truck a class V tow rig. When pulling an overweight for the vehicle bumper pull (receiver hitch or similar, not a 5th wheel), you can rapidly get into a "tail wagging the dog" situation that can cause a wreck before you know it.

I would STRONGLY suggest to anyone that they follow the owners manual as far as the maximums on vehicle weight and towing are concerned. The life you save might be mine.....

As far as towing limits are concerned, you are right. In a LOT of states, I can drive an 18 wheeler pulling a 5th wheel with a boat trailer behind that on a regular drivers license. Some states will require that tractor to be de-rated to a class 6 or 7 by removing one of the rear axles, others will require some add-ons (microwave, porta potty, AC inverter) to be classed as a "motor home".

Just think about that the next time you see one of us "old farts" cruising by with our RV.....
There aren't any laws against being stupid!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I read it, which is why I qualified my post. The regulars realize you frequently give out really bad information, the newbies might not.
Either you didn't understand it correctly or that's not the issue. I think the real issue is that I don't own a FEH and your one of several that doesn't like that.

A thread was actually started to ban one a user because they didn't like his posts plus not owning a FEH.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Feral Engineer

I think that you are fixing a problem that doesn't exist. The eCVT is much more similar to a manual transmission with respect to the heat generated internally. In a conventional automatic transmission, the heat is generated within the torque converter when the fluid is compressed and placed under shear. The eCVT has no torque converter.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: ecvt cooler

YOU ARE TRYING TO FIX A "PROBLEM" that DOES NOT EXIST.
I have more experience with towing than anyone who has ever posted.
I have towed more weight than anyone who has ever posted, with a 2005 FWD FEH.

I have made a poor choice and literally found the limits.
Remember the gas engine, the primary motive power at highway speed is only about 125 HP.
The extra 25-30 HP comes from battery boost. Gone, when the small amp-hour battery pack is depleted.

The primary motive power under 25 mph is the electric traction motor. 26 to 93 HP max. (usually not at the max.)
THE GAS ENGINE DOES NOT TURN THE WHEELS AT SLOW SPEEDS.

The hybrid system is a trade off, a teeter totter, a see saw with electric power at one end and Gasoline power at the other.
At slow speeds the electric power is at maximum and gasoline power at the minimum.
At high speeds electric power is at minimum and gasoline power is at maximum.

I can tow a 2,500 lb, 9 foot tall, 7 foot wide "box" trailer (with electric brakes and eletronic brake controller installed... so the FEH does not really "feel" the trailer at all when braking if properly adjusted) just fine on level ground. Hit a grade over 2% and battery boost kicks in... for all of one mile.

Hills greater than 7% and longer than a mile and my FEH comes to a halt. Really.
Then I have to pull onto the shoulder and idle for 5 minutes to recharge the battery. Then go another 1 mile, repeat. Did this 3 times on a 7% with HEAVY TRAILER and vowed never again.

NOTHING GOT HOT except the electric motors got "warm".
The electric motors pull a lot more amps when towing, and for much more of the drive time.

MOST of the torque for pulling comes from the electric motors.
We have a specifically degined LOW TORQUE gasoline engine made for higher MPG.

Also something no one realizes... THERE IS NO LOW GEAR IN THESE HYBRIDS!
There is psudo low for braking and slowing down.
There is no low gear for pulling heavy things up a steep grade!

I know what you are thinking... but you are WRONG IN THIS CASE.

You are probably saying of course there is a low gear ratio in the continuously variable transmission.... right? Yes and no... and MOSTLY NO!

The ICE only puts torque to the wheels at high road speeds. (25 mph+).
When you are traveling 0-25 mph, no matter what the engine rpm is, it is applying torque to a generator, making electricity, and that electricity goes into a traction motor (often along with battery boost at the same time) and the traction motor only or primarily moves the wheels.

The traction motor is rated at 93 HP. This is what you have to pull your trailer at zero to 25 mph. BUT..... IT is usually impossible to get that much electricty to the traction motor.

The traction motor is 93 HP... but the generator feeding it (indefinately as long as you have gasoline) is only 26 HP!

Have no fear pulling away from stops,... the battery pack can chip in the balance of the wattage to make up for the missing 67 horsepower for as long as it is charged.... ONE MILE BEST CASE... OFTEN LESS!

On that steep prolonged grade with slower speed limits and sharp curves my battery depleted quickly... once my speed dropped below 25 mph, with no battery wattage left, I was down to 26 horsepower and rapidly came to a halt.

You simply CAN NOT put torque to the wheels from the gas engine at slow speeds with a hybrid with planetary gear set. Its mechanically impossible and has nothing to do with programmimg.

Still nothing got hot, but motors ran warm within limits...

This is a hard concept to grasp.
Ask if you have specific questions or if something isn't clear and I'll try to explain in other ways.

In short, Ford rated the towing at 1,000 pounds because you can be confident it will pull that over any roads suitable for a trailer.

2500-3000 pounds is possible ONLY IF you will be in flat or nearly flat towing conditions.
You won't break anything (99% sure).
You won't overheat anything (99% sure).

You will run out of power on grades of more than a couple percent. (100% sure)

After my failure to pull 2500 pounds up 7% I purchased a Duramax Diesel truck to tow that will tow my 7200 pound trailer up 7% on cruise control in top (6th) gear.

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-06-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: ecvt cooler

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands