Electrical Anomaly on Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Electrical Anomaly on Start

Two occurrences within the past week on a 35K miles, 2008 MMH. 38 months of use. All original electrical components and a Scan Guage II for 37 of those months.

Upon opening the drivers door, inserting the key I was greeted with a cacaphony of relays clicking, the only display being the air bag warning flickering at 50-60 hz, and everything else electrical, (and I tried almost all of the electrical/audio/nav components) was dead. Car had been sitting in the parking lot while I played 18 holes for about 4.5 hrs.

I disconnected the positive lead to the low voltage battery and left it for a few minutes, reconnected it and all was back to normal.

Same story three days later.

The only other new technical situation that is now occurring is that the Scan Guage screen now goes blank 12 seconds after the car goes into EV mode. ( I did not notice whether the Scan Guage screen was reacting to the relay chatter during the two failure events).

Anyone know what fuse covers the 12v supply to the OBD connector?

Any ideas on the basic issue? I did run the car up to the local Ford Dealer yesterday afternoon and the low voltage battery is fine. And just for grins, I replaced the battery in my key fob today.

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electrical Anomaly on Start

Your SG needs to be set for a hybrid vehicle to stay on in EV mode. Maybe you lost that setting when you disconnected your 12v battery?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi John

Make sure all grounds are clean and tight. The SGII is going to sleep and that means it went back to the default settings. Go to set-up and make sure your Type of Fuel is set for Hybrid.

GaryG

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your comment made perfect sense, and that side issue is resolved.

Many thanks,
John Dixson

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, thanks to you gentlemen the Scan Guage is back to normal, leaving the cause of the two start problems a mystery. The scan guage attachment to the OBD connector was clean and firm and the pins are all like new, so no short there. Battery connections are like new, and other than two rear blend door actuator replacements two years ago, only the scheduled maintenance has been performed. BTW the Scan Guage reported no codes.

I do have a forward blend door problem that has been discussed in this forum, but am waiting for my next scheduled maintenance to have that TSB completed. Parts are available. But I don't see any connection possible between that sort of failure and an electrical shutdown as I described. Anyone know what happens when the PATS system gets activated?

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Per John's comment, are your 12v battery connections shiny and clean?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes they are, and the local Ford guys did a battery test and it looked fine.

Thanks for the follow-up
John Dixson

Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Per John's comment, are your 12v battery connections shiny and clean?
That would only be a start for checking ground connections. Since the problem was wide spread on electrical components, next I'd clean and tighten the ground wires to the PCM and engine. I've read so many horror stories about replacing very expensive brake and steering parts only to find out it was a loose ground like this new post here:

"After replacing the rack and a month later the control modular. We found it to be a loose ground."- Just posted at Hybridcars.com

GaryG

Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

My experience in the helicopter business says you may well be correct, Gary.

I think I'll get the dealer involved in that activity.

Thanks,
John Dixson

BTW, it happened again as I was getting set to go out earlier this evening. This time, the failure, relay chatter and flickering airbag warning symbol occurred just as the key was advanced to the full in position and before I turned it. When I turned it, the airbag warning disappeared and the red battery warning symbol in the upper left part of the display showed up, steady-no flicker. Gets curiouser and curiouser.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Imported from Detroit

Just for comparison, on a '09 FE, the electrical diagrams have nine pages showing twenty-two main ground points but that's not counting the all tie points before the mains.

All the interior located module main grounds are inside the vehicle. Two are under the driver's seat on the floor and the other two are on the passenger side under the kick panel just infront of the door. Even though I'm looking at a non-Hybrid manual, it's probably the same.

Quick Reply: Electrical Anomaly on Start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands