Escape the Old SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Megageek
Default Re: Escape the Old SUV

Why is it that every thread lately is turning into political debates and attacks? I haven't been here very long and, at this rate, I won't be around for long.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WScottCross
Why is it that every thread lately is turning into political debates and attacks? I haven't been here very long and, at this rate, I won't be around for long.
Agreed. It's getting a little ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
"I own two Hybrids because I like toys, I like technology and given the chance to drive the type of vehicle I want AND do something good for the environment, money isn't an object."

It sounds like your confused here. How does someone do something good for the environment and defend what the President has let happen to the environment?

If you would turn off FOX and watch a news channel, you would see I don't have to look for a reason to bash the President. His own Party is doing a find job without my petty two cents.
My last words on this topic.

What started out as just a word of encouragement that there are folks who have it a lot worse than any of us, you turned into a political "I hate Bush" thread.....

For the record, I don't watch Fox, or any TV (other than my Red Sox) for that matter. I think for myself and make my own decisions. I don't recall defending anything Bush did but I hate it when elitists bash the president just because they don't like him. I don't take my cues or talking points from anyone and my thoughts are my own. I'm confused? Not a bit.

So, if I listen to your drivel, I should sell my Hybrids (could probably turn a tidy profit nowadays ), buy that Hummer and go fill in that wetland in my backyard - all because of who you think I voted for for president. I can't be an "environmentalist" because of political opinion? What a crock....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread, in my opinion, was thrown out there just for this type of debate. It didn't "turn into" a political thread, that was the originators intention. I was foolish enough to take the bait and got attacked for it. For that I apologize to the rest of the board.

Now, before I contribute to scaring off good people like WScott and ender, I am done.

Last edited by nitramjr; 09-07-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned
Default What Would a Moderator Say?

• My guess is one of the moderators would have judged this thread to have been more political than hybrid-oriented in content. Therefore it should have been in the "Anything Goes" forum.
  • I recall that lars-ss recently said political discussion is fine as long as it's RESPECTFUL. I concurr for what it's worth.
  • Stereotyping members is going to lead to bad judgements. For example, I'm a Texan that drives an Insight - can't exactly peg me for that alone. Got other contridictions as well....
Hope this was seen as a positive contribution....

Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Hi Delta_Flyer:

___You know, I hate those ****ed Texas based Insight drivers … I do not know why but something about them sets me off

___Just kidding

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Yeah - tonight "I feel the love!"

Old 09-08-2005, 07:31 AM

Ray, I guess we just push each others button which cause this thead to get ugly. While we can all agree to disagree about the state of this Country, I think we both read too much in our comments.

Sounds like your doing well and I think I could be doing better. My thead was not meant to push anyones button.

I was planning on buying the FEH for years to cut gas cost and I also like the high tech side as you do. To be honest, the green part was not on my mind then. It sounds like we are both on the Ford and American built side but I'm slowly changing with the hybrid only path of thinking.

I've owned 11 rare Mustangs to date with a '67 GT 500 being my favorate. I blueprinted the 427 dual four myself so I know about tech like yourself.

Not sure, but I think it was you who commented about passing by Theta Chi on Beacon Street almost every day where my Son lives while attending MIT. Anyway His major is computer science and electical enginneering and while home for the first time since I bought the FEH, he put it through the test.

He took his girlfriend (a senior in the same field at MIT) to SeaWorld and all about the State and put the Nav. system through the test also. He was quick to point out the pit falls of the nav. CD not being up to date but love the car overall. First thing I checked was his abilities to get the MPG I have. The computer showed 32.2 average which I thought wasn't bad. He brought it back with a full tank which impressed me even more.

Its funny that you traded a 2001 Focus in for the FEH. I sold my 2000 Focus myself instead of trading it in for the FEH. I paid sticker plus $500 for a so called dealer fee. I would trade or sell my Explorer for another FEH if it could pull my boat. The Highlander drinks high test which I will not consider.

Anyway, sorry for my attacks Ray, it won't happen again. We have alot in comon with mustangs, hybrids and Fords. Don't get me wrong, I can afford gas but I'd rather be spending it on computers and other toys. I'm now into connecting everything (LCD HDTV, Computer, DVD, Receiver) through the new HDMI cables to get rid of all those wires and improve AV quality.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would trade or sell my Explorer for another FEH if it could pull my boat. The Highlander drinks high test which I will not consider.
... the Highlander Hybrid uses regular gas, the manual says you can use premium "to increase performance" but I've seen no reason to do so yet. I've got just over 2000 miles on mine so far and it towed my son-in-law's Mitsubishi Eclipse from his prior apartment to our home - a trip of about 20 miles and an altitude gain of 3000 ft with no problems.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM

Not me. I want 10 Mbit wireless connections to all the house toys. Ever since the music in the house went wireless a couple of years ago with slimp3, I have been grousing about the state of video and speakers.
I'm now into connecting everything (LCD HDTV, Computer, DVD, Receiver) through the new HDMI cables to get rid of all those wires and improve AV quality.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Not sure, but I think it was you who commented about passing by Theta Chi on Beacon Street almost every day where my Son lives while attending MIT.

Anyway, sorry for my attacks Ray, it won't happen again. We have alot in comon with mustangs, hybrids and Fords.
That was me - I spend way too much time in the Cambridge, downtown Boston area as part of my job. Although this time of year, I tend to drive slower on Memorial Drive and Commonwealth Ave while checking out the new crop of female students.....I mean driving more carefully because school is back in session.

My Mustang is a '65 ('64 1/2) Coupe with a 289 and the 4-speed. Want to trade up to a convertible but they are tough to find around here. I was actually looking at a new '05 Mustang at the dealership when I saw they had a Hybrid.....

No apolgies are in order. We are all entitled to our opinion, even when someone else feels they are wrong. Despite having different political opinions, we do have a lot in common. Next time you come up to Boston, let's get together for a cold one.
See everyone - we can all get along.

Ray