Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Hogwash.
The list price was $7000 back in 2004 when the product debut.

The price for these has gone DOWN over the years. Just like the $5000 VCR of 1970.

Are you still believing Ford after all we've discussed?

Laughing out-loud.

I hope I never need a whole replacement pack.
But I know where to get them for $1900 but I need to do the labor which ain't easy.

John

P.S. How come no one considers the core value of the old pack?
Just bought a $75 12v battery and the core was $15. And thats just for the worth of the lead metal inside.
No fans. No fancy electronics.
The core value for a "dead" Escape HV battery pack is $600 to $1500 depending on market conditions.
( are you in a big city or small town, selling to a scrap yard or battery rebuilder? )

Last edited by gpsman1; 04-26-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Originally Posted by GatorJ
My Escape might have been unusual, but my "traditional" water pump failed in my 2006 in the open position. I was able to operate the vehicle, but since the water temperature was staying in the low 140s, the computer would not allow it to go into EV mode. I also changed a working MECS pump as a purely precautionary measure.

THE hybrid battery is indeed a $9000 part.
Sadly you are being over charged due to lack of knowledge on this vehicle.
Glad you found this forum.

Water pumps do not fail open. They pump or don't pump.
They pump anytime the belt turns the shaft. Which is any time the engine is running.
A $10 valve commonly called a thermostat may have been stuck open.
Of coarse being a Hybrid I understand this part is $40.
Did you mean to say this is what needed replacement?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Sadly you are being over charged due to lack of knowledge on this vehicle.
Glad you found this forum.

Water pumps do not fail open. They pump or don't pump.
They pump anytime the belt turns the shaft. Which is any time the engine is running.
A $10 valve commonly called a thermostat may have been stuck open.
Of coarse being a Hybrid I understand this part is $40.
Did you mean to say this is what needed replacement?
I, of course, misspoke. I meant the thermostat. Sorry for the confusion my error caused. You are correct...it was way expensive compared to a "regular" thermostat and a bit of a P.I.A. to access.

Last edited by GatorJ; 04-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Hogwash.
The list price was $7000 back in 2004 when the product debut.

The price for these has gone DOWN over the years. Just like the $5000 VCR of 1970.

Are you still believing Ford after all we've discussed?

Laughing out-loud.

I hope I never need a whole replacement pack.
But I know where to get them for $1900 but I need to do the labor which ain't easy.

John

Are you referring to the battery assembly or the cells? I've provided the part number for the battery assembly and every price I found online was within a few hundred dollars of $9000. If you found a NEW Motorcraft HVTB for $1900, you did well.

Replacing the cooling fans is 3.1 hours per the TSB which includes removing the battery assembly from the vehicle (yes, I've seen the thread where someone replaced them with the battery assembly still in the truck.) That 3.1 hours included opening the assembly and R&R of the fans. A straight battery swap could easily be accomplished in 2 hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
It's clear to me, Ford is stonewalling on this issue. They have turned a loyal consumer into the opposite with just this stonewalling.

GaryG

I agree. Autumn actually asked me if these two new people experiencing cooling fan failures were friends of mine as though I should not be concerned if they were not. I quickly explained my resolution entailed me posting a cash bond which will be held for 60 days, paying the clerk's service fees and driving other vehicles at twice the total fuel expense for the three weeks while I screwed around with them until I hit my "enough" point...not exactly the ideal resolution of a valid warranty claim.

This is an EASY problem for Ford to correct. On the applicable TSB they need to list the unique hybrid component warranty in addition to the 3/36K (I have a copy of the TSB the dealer printed...there is a place for this) and also list the cooling fan kit as covered under that warranty when the dealer enters it.

I wonder how many of these fans have failed outside of the 3/36 BtB and any extended warranty coverage people might have, but within the 8/100K (or 10/150K) and people just gave up and paid the bill? If your state doesn't have a bond procedure and you don't have another car to drive, you're stuck paying the bill and trying to get it refunded later.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast

I have more developments with my cooling fan repair odyssey. I will post the voicemail verbatim from the second dealer. But don''t have time till Fri. night. It seems I have won(warranty) at this stage. But who knows, as they have had my car now for 11 days between the two dealerships!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by BlackJack
I have more developments with my cooling fan repair odyssey. I will post the voicemail verbatim from the second dealer. But don''t have time till Fri. night. It seems I have won(warranty) at this stage. But who knows, as they have had my car now for 11 days between the two dealerships!

Good news, I hope nothing changes.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

So here is the contents of the message that was left me by Lacy at All-Star Ford.

"Sorry it took a little while to get back to you Ive been working with my technician on this. He was going through and re-testing, I had him re-test the fans in the battery a couple of times. The first two times it passed, but the third time it went through, it actually started acting up. And we got it to set a code(sic?)

We contacted Ford to see if we could get approval for that big battery, and uh, they said the approval was denied, but only because they have put out a new kit where we can just service those fans.

So we got those parts comin but whenever that issue starts acting up we got another code that he's trying to trace down. Um, its takin awhile to get it traced down but he is steady workin on it, been workin on it for quite a few hours now. So we are trying to get that figured out but it looks like we'll have to keep it over the weekend. Depending on what we find the order won't be processed until tomorrow.
Any more questions give me a call otherwise ..... and just so you know THAT KIT THEY PUT OUT FOR THE COOLING FANS IS COVERED SO THAT'S NOT GOING TO BE SOMETHIN THAT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED TO PAY FOR. If you have any more questions give me a call"

And that my friends is the eleven hundred dollars difference of persistence of your right to warranty work! Though I haven't got my car back yet I'm pretty sure I got the fans covered. And the first dealer did give me a bad "new" pump so Lacy said that will be replaced for free.
And yesterday"s message she offered to help pay for my rental car and will let me know how long it will take to get the fan-kit depending on if the vendor has to "build" one.

I hope this phone message I printed will help other should they have the same fight with Ford. This Forum was very helpful in not getting screwed over.

Be persistent and call Ford cust. rel. several times because they document how many times you complain and I think that put's pressure on as well. Thx!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes, it's cold

Blackjack- keeping my fingers crossed. Once everything is all said and done, let us know how it turned out.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any updates Blackjack?

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands