Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

No, I'm not an SA...and I don't even know any as personal friends. But I do have a great appreciation for what they have to put up with on a daily basis. After all, almost everyone they deal with is probably pissed off having to go into the dealership for a problem (most would probably rather visit a dentist!) I supect very few stop in just to say Hi.

You didn't say that you know more than the engineers or techs???? Then please clarify your statement of "Especially when it turns out that the customer is indeed smarter and more knowledgeable !"

Please keep in mind that the SA's job function is not to diagnose or fix whatever problem (real or imaginary) that's reported. Their primary function is to accurately document their customer's complaint. It's up to their technician to actually verify/diagnose/repair the problem.

So should a SA be expected to know everything about every vehicle that they encounter daily? To me, the answer is no.

Last edited by Thegreatescape; 10-27-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape

You didn't say that you know more than the engineers or techs???? Then please clarify your statement of "Especially when it turns out that the customer is indeed smarter and more knowledgeable
That wasn't me, it was WaltPA after your post to me!

GaryG

Last edited by Jason; 10-28-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry, I made a mistake.

Last edited by Thegreatescape; 10-29-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Why don't we move on past the qualities of SA's, as trying to lump them together is like lumping all hybrids together; just a bad idea. I think many of us have dealt with good and bad SA's, so let's not go pointing fingers; we're not monkeys and we know it's not polite to point.

Now, moving the discussion along, and somewhat back to the point, has anyone who has been or knows they're being recalled actually had it done yet? If so, and they mentioned it; I apologize, I must've missed it.

Mine is uneffected, since I'm AWD.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 10-29-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. User "CanToo" had his done last week -- inspection only; his vehicle didn't require any further servicing/replacement due to the recall.

Mine is scheduled to go in tomorrow morning, so we'll see if mine is also unaffected or if I'll have to bring her back in at a later date for the actual service/replacement.

EDITED on Monday: I've had to cancel my Ford service appt. for this morning due to illness in the family, so those hoping for additional words on the recall service will have to wait for someone else's FEH to be brought in. I will reschedule soon, but am not sure I'll be able to get it in this week due to my schedule.

Last edited by GeekGal; 10-30-2006 at 04:40 AM. Reason: change of plans
Old 11-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

This link takes you to a 13-page version of the recall instructions issued by Ford on 13Oct2006. It contains good info on: which vehicles are affected, the two phases of inspection, and the replacement work .....if required. (Looks like Ford estimates that 50% of the vehicles under the recall will need half-shaft replacement)

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1160...S44/index.html

Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be doing my own Part A inspection in my garage this evening. I'm pretty sure my '06 isn't in the date range but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Looks like I'm the first victim on this thread who needed the full repair. Took 2 days to receive the new intermediate shaft....3 1/2 days to get me back on the road. I was pleasantly surprised to get it back the same week I brought it in to the dealer. Even got a new (3 miles on the odometer) '07 Fusion as a loaner. However, anything is awkward and clunky compared to my FEH. FYI my vehicle manufacture date is 9/05.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

My recall experience.....Had a Monday morning appt. That afternoon the dealer called to tell me they were going to have to keep the Escape longer. Here is the info from the paperwork. "Perform FSA 06S44. Unable to separate CV from interm shaft. Remove both shaft and attempt to remove in vice using slide hammer, air hammer. Unable to separate. Contact hotline and report. Approved to replace CV axle. Had to cut off CV w/torch to inspect end of interm shaft. Interm shaft needs to be replaced per FSA. Replace both CV and interm shafts."

During the repair they discovered a brake fluid leak. I never had any indication of a leak. No fluid on ground or lights for low fluid. Wonder if the trauma of recall work started leak or just coincidence. They ended up replacing something called an HCU.

Picked vehicle up on Thursday evening.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

I had my recall done yesterday.

Gave me a nice new Fusion to drive and it's got a lot of pep.
Gained 1 mile on odometer.
My manufacture date was Oct/05
In and out in 5 hours and they replaced the shaft.
I live in Los Angeles and went to one of the bigger dealers.

Good luck,
Pattie

Quick Reply: Ford to Recall 6,000 Escape Hybrid SUVs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands