Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Newbie Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

I haven't received a recall letter yet either. I'm the original owner and the dealership mails me other things so I know they have my address. I just called to schedule an appt for 7/23 and they told me they don't have parts. They do not have an ETA for the parts and said they will call me when it gets here. Just for reference, this is a dealership in San Diego, CA.

I have 84K miles on the FWD 2008 Escape Hybrid, and I have not experienced any steering problems, but I'm also not the only driver. However, if the steering problem is so pronounced like you guys reported, I presume I would have been told about it by now. Anyway, just wanted to share the parts status here for my region in case it helps anyone.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by deprotinator
I haven't received a recall letter yet either.
Nobody has. They supposedly are going out at the end of this month.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deprotinator
I haven't received a recall letter yet either. I'm the original owner and the dealership mails me other things so I know they have my address. I just called to schedule an appt for 7/23 and they told me they don't have parts. They do not have an ETA for the parts and said they will call me when it gets here. Just for reference, this is a dealership in San Diego, CA.

I have 84K miles on the FWD 2008 Escape Hybrid, and I have not experienced any steering problems, but I'm also not the only driver. However, if the steering problem is so pronounced like you guys reported, I presume I would have been told about it by now. Anyway, just wanted to share the parts status here for my region in case it helps anyone.
In my case, they didn't need the part because the repair had already been done as per their advice and using a part from them. (They say they need to verify the repair was done properly. If they already do this repair, and they have been, what's stopping them from checking mine?)

Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by xspirit
In my case, they didn't need the part because the repair had already been done as per their advice and using a part from them. (They say they need to verify the repair was done properly. If they already do this repair, and they have been, what's stopping them from checking mine?)
Nothing, it goes by VIN. Do you need to tell them unless, maybe want to get paid for the part? You doing the work won't satisfy the recall because they didn't do the work. This is a safety recall so it's different.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Nothing, it goes by VIN. Do you need to tell them unless, maybe want to get paid for the part? You doing the work won't satisfy the recall because they didn't do the work. This is a safety recall so it's different.
I didn't do the work. It was done by a senior mechanic.

Absolutely I expect to be repaid for the repair. I disagree that the repair will only be covered if it is done by an authorized Ford garage. What about people who live in Pond Inlet? Just like the scheduled services to maintain the warranty, the law does not require those services be done by an authorized new car dealer.

My repair was done prior to the recall, but well after Ford knew this was a problem. I was advised online by a Ford representative to save the invoices in case there was a recall, when I would be refunded.

I also don't think that whether this was a safety recall has any bearing on whether a repair subject to recall is reimbursed or not depending on who did the repair.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 AM
Imported from Detroit

I didn't do the work. It was done by a senior mechanic.

Absolutely I expect to be repaid for the repair. I disagree that the repair will only be covered if it is done by an authorized Ford garage. What about people who live in Pond Inlet? Just like the scheduled services to maintain the warranty, the law does not require those services be done by an authorized new car dealer.

My repair was done prior to the recall, but well after Ford knew this was a problem. I was advised online by a Ford representative to save the invoices in case there was a recall, when I would be refunded.

I also don't think that whether this was a safety recall has any bearing on whether a repair subject to recall is reimbursed or not depending on who did the repair.
I didn't say that it wouldn't be covered, I said that it may not satisfy the safety recall as they may have to verify if the work was done correctly. Thanks to the GM ignition switch problem, they might be doing things differently now.

Last edited by wptski; 07-11-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I didn't say that it wouldn't be covered, I said that it may not satisfy the safety recall as they may have to verify if the work was done correctly. Thanks to the GM ignition switch problem, they might be doing things differently now.
Ok, I understand the nuance of your comment now.

Indeed, Ford requires that these repairs not done by Ford, be inspected at a Ford dealership. That makes sense to me, since otherwise Ford could be on the hook for mistakes made by errors.

What doesn't make sense to me is that they say they couldn't do exactly that inspection on mine when I brought it in at their request for doing just that, because they didn't have full documentation for their own recall. Surely they already can tell if the repairs are done properly. If not, are they going to reinspect all the power steering failures they've already fixed?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

xspirit, why don't you just wait for the recall notice to arrive from Ford and proceed from there? Sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself on everything, especially since it sounds like there are multiple potential fixes and updates to be completed during the actual recall work.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
xspirit, why don't you just wait for the recall notice to arrive from Ford and proceed from there? Sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself on everything, especially since it sounds like there are multiple potential fixes and updates to be completed during the actual recall work.
Well, it looks like I have no choice but to wait.

In my defense for rushing, when I heard of the recall, I called the dealership to ask them how to proceed. They told me to contact Ford Canada. Ford Canada told me to schedule an appointment with the dealership. When I made the appointment, I said exactly what the appointment was for. All sounded good until I arrived at the roadblock at the service desk. I think it was more Ford's bungle than mine.

My understanding of the recall is that there are three different versions of the problem. One requires just a software update, one requires replacing a steering sensor module, and one requires replacing the whole steering rack.

My understanding is that a total absence of trouble codes indicates the need to replace the rack, which was the case for my FEH, and was done on the advice of the same Ford dealership.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Imported from Detroit

Ok, I understand the nuance of your comment now.

Indeed, Ford requires that these repairs not done by Ford, be inspected at a Ford dealership. That makes sense to me, since otherwise Ford could be on the hook for mistakes made by errors.

What doesn't make sense to me is that they say they couldn't do exactly that inspection on mine when I brought it in at their request for doing just that, because they didn't have full documentation for their own recall. Surely they already can tell if the repairs are done properly. If not, are they going to reinspect all the power steering failures they've already fixed?
From your later post, Ford Canada told you to bring it in not the dealer, correct? They are great at kicking the can down the road also.

It's just like the massive recalls on the 2013 Escape. The news reports stated a do not drive, Ford will be pick it up and supply a loaner. The truth was many who live in rural areas were told that they'd have to drive it in because they were too far away. There weren't enough loaners to go around either. That whole thing was mass confusion.

Quick Reply: Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands