Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Ford and Toyota partnership (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/ford-toyota-partnership-27147/)

eldiee 08-22-2011 05:57 PM

Ford and Toyota partnership

Interesting story on front page of Yahoo about a joint effort to make hybrid pickups and SUV's as a partnership effort. That my be the reason for them (Ford) not continuing the Escape hybrid after 2012.

wptski 08-22-2011 07:39 PM

Re: Ford and Toyota partnership

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 237294)
Interesting story on front page of Yahoo about a joint effort to make hybrid pickups and SUV's as a partnership effort. That my be the reason for them (Ford) not continuing the Escape hybrid after 2012.

If you look at the so-called new generation Escape for 2013, it isn't even Escape-like! I think the Escape is a gonner.

wwest 08-25-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 237295)
If you look at the so-called new generation Escape for 2013, it isn't even Escape-like! I think the Escape is a gonner.

The current Escape model/style/version SHOULD be GONNER IMMHO...!

The Toyota Venza should be (IS..??) the model for the new one.

On the other hand I have seen no indication that the Escape's replacement will not have a hybrid version.

stevedebi 08-26-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 237346)
The current Escape model/style/version SHOULD be GONNER IMMHO...!

The Toyota Venza should be (IS..??) the model for the new one.

On the other hand I have seen no indication that the Escape's replacement will not have a hybrid version.

I can't recall where I read it, but the 2013 (based on a Ford C-platform, I believe) won't have Hybrid. It will use the Ecoboost. I have seen 1.7L and 2.0L as the engine offerings.

Billyk 08-27-2011 05:36 AM

In today's world of rising fuel prices, why would anyone want to move from a Ford SUV/Crossover product to a Toyota product, pay thousands more upfornt and get worse fuel mileage.:omg:

wptski 08-27-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi (Post 237376)
I can't recall where I read it, but the 2013 (based on a Ford C-platform, I believe) won't have Hybrid. It will use the Ecoboost. I have seen 1.7L and 2.0L as the engine offerings.

I ran across this link in another forum: http://autoten.com/2011/03/12/2013-f...d-information/ and it states that there will be a Hybrid. The last picture of the covered up vehicle doesn't look like the ones above it.

stevedebi 08-29-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 237393)
I ran across this link in another forum: http://autoten.com/2011/03/12/2013-f...d-information/ and it states that there will be a Hybrid. The last picture of the covered up vehicle doesn't look like the ones above it.

I think they mean that the "next gen hybrid" will offer start/stop and a larger battery, plus regenerative braking to store power. This means that the 2013 will have auto stop/start, but not a hybrid powertrain like the 2012. No EV mode at all. That was my understanding of the article.

Sphinx88 09-30-2011 06:23 PM

No. From what I read EV mode is still there because the future hybrid still have large battery and specifically regenerating braking which is key to full hybrid.

stevedebi 10-05-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sphinx88 (Post 238314)
No. From what I read EV mode is still there because the future hybrid still have large battery and specifically regenerating braking which is key to full hybrid.

I suppose time will tell, but that is not my understanding.

wptski 10-06-2011 04:40 AM

Ford Escape article appearing in the Detroit News.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...ficient-Escape

eldiee 10-11-2011 01:53 PM

These writers(in the linked article) are like most people in the general public, acluelistic. My term for someone without a clue. They only focus on highway mileage(like most Ford Commercials). They say 31mpg(highway) and never mention what a 4X4 gets around town.Most of us have a balance of highway and city driving. I would never claim to be a hyper-miler but in ordinary driving our 2006 4X4 has been between 30 and 31mpg since we purchased it. I really doubt if these new engines will replace what our hybrid will do in mixed driving.

stevedebi 10-12-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 238592)
These writers(in the linked article) are like most people in the general public, acluelistic. My term for someone without a clue. They only focus on highway mileage(like most Ford Commercials). They say 31mpg(highway) and never mention what a 4X4 gets around town.Most of us have a balance of highway and city driving. I would never claim to be a hyper-miler but in ordinary driving our 2006 4X4 has been between 30 and 31mpg since we purchased it. I really doubt if these new engines will replace what our hybrid will do in mixed driving.

No, it won't get the city MPG, but I suspect they will be considerably cheaper to buy, and less complex in design. Plus I think Ford is limited as to how many battery packs it can get.

Personally, I am wondering if Ford will support the Fusion hybrid, or convert it to Ecoboost as well.

eldiee 10-12-2011 06:20 PM

I thought I read just recently that Ford was going to dramatically increase the number of hybrids they produce each year. Has this been reversed in the last few months?

stevedebi 10-13-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 238643)
I thought I read just recently that Ford was going to dramatically increase the number of hybrids they produce each year. Has this been reversed in the last few months?

They will be using the hybrid powertrain in the new C-platform minivan/wagon/crossover-thingy. (I think it is actually a small minivan, but they don't call it that). It will be hybrid or pure electric. And the Fusion is still set for the hybrid, I believe.

Just not the Escape. The current model is the only mechanical AWD hybrid small SUV available (others use electric motors for the rear wheels). I suppose it is the end of that era...

eldiee 10-13-2011 05:48 PM

The main reason we bought our 4X4 escape hybrid is that it was available as a 4X4 for winter driving. It has so far run an average between 30 and 31mpg. I thing Ford has been not taking advantage of being the only hybrid SUV 4X4 available. Now they want out of that market for some strange reason. I don't think this new C-Max will be available in 4X4 configuration. Maybe you have read otherwise.

stevedebi 10-13-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by eldiee (Post 238674)
The main reason we bought our 4X4 escape hybrid is that it was available as a 4X4 for winter driving. It has so far run an average between 30 and 31mpg. I thing Ford has been not taking advantage of being the only hybrid SUV 4X4 available. Now they want out of that market for some strange reason. I don't think this new C-Max will be available in 4X4 configuration. Maybe you have read otherwise.

No, I have not read that.

I was recently shopping Escapes at the local dealer. They had about 60 or so of them, and about 6 were FEH, but none were AWD.