Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front License Plate Bracket

Yea, I got pulled over when in New York (state) for not having a front plate.

A cop drove by me, from the other way. I guess he saw I had no front plate as he approached, he turn on his lights/siren, and did a fast "U" turn. After he pulled me over, and noticed I was from a state that doesn't have front plates, and let me go.

However, it does emphasize that there are places that actively look to give out "missing front plates" tickets.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM

BTW, I can't find it now, but there is actually a website that sells color keyed "plugs" for when one removes a front plate bracket. I guess there is enough of a demand that someone has started a home business.

EDIT:

Found it!

Bumper Plugs

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool, bumper plugs.

Had Ford designed the thing with a place for the plate (lower would have been nice) I'd have gone along with it, but I'll seriously consider your warnings. I should have known there would be sticklers for the rule. I'll probably risk it till I get that $100 ticket, then install the plate. I got a Mask for the vehicle today so I could always velcro the front plate on it when I have the mask on... driving down the freeways.

Hey, I obey all the other traffic lays! Honest!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

The bumper plug site is awsome, I would have never found it without the extra tip.

THANKS!

Front license plates are not sold in Indiana. Until the BMV can figure out they can make an extra $25.00 per plate, I dont want one.

Unless I can find some cool plates...like Republicans going green...or making Oil Rich Countries hungier, 1 gallon at a time.

HA

Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Had a similar experience several years ago on a highway off ramp. 2 police cars were parked on each side as a funnel where they were doing a quick visual inspection & pulling you over. I got a ticket for not having a front plate, even though it was on the dash facing out through the windshield. Told, nope it has to be mounted on the front. The car did not have a front bracket.

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yea, I got pulled over when in New York (state) for not having a front plate.

A cop drove by me, from the other way. I guess he saw I had no front plate as he approached, he turn on his lights/siren, and did a fast "U" turn. After he pulled me over, and noticed I was from a state that doesn't have front plates, and let me go.

However, it does emphasize that there are places that actively look to give out "missing front plates" tickets.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, if everyone monitoring this thread could take a look at this photo I would appreciate it.

I took off my front license plate bracket, and was almost to the point of ordering plugs for the plate holes, and I noticed that my lower condensor has taken several rock hits along the bottom. See attach picture. The middle area is definately protected some by the license plate bracket, but the two outer areas are not. If you also look at the fancy radiator front you will notice it doesn't do much for protecting the radiator either.

Maybe I am over worrying about. But I want to make sure by removing the bracket I havn't modified Fords way of protecting the condensor. I will gladly put one back on but I dont want too unless I have too.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
stone damage.doc (710.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yours is somewhat different than my 2005.

However, just this past summer, my A/C condenser got dinged so bad it leaked and had to be replaced. I purchased an extended warranty that covered it, but I estimate parts + labor would have been in the $450 range. And yes, I had a front license plate holder and plate installed the whole time.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the condensor and the radiator are rather poorly protected. On my 68 Mustang, I used some screen wire to help protect the radiator and condensor, but I am not sure how I would even mount it on this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by pb5927317
I think the condensor and the radiator are rather poorly protected. On my 68 Mustang, I used some screen wire to help protect the radiator and condensor, but I am not sure how I would even mount it on this.

Anyone have any ideas?
The good news is that damage to the small vanes really doesn't mean a whole lot... you'd have to slam into something fairly hard to rupture one of the lines and get a leak.... you know... like the back end of a car. I know that works from personal experience.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

My Honda Element was much worse as far as protecting the condenser element, so I bought a gutter screen from Home Depot and painted it black then installed it in the opening in the front grill. I am not as worried about damage on the Escape, but you might want to look into a similar solution.