Full Size Spare on FEH

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Full Size Spare on FEH

A full size spare will lower your MPGs slightly, that's probably why you get a doughnut in the first place.

The best solution is to take out the doughnut and have a AAA card or something similar and a can of fix-a-flat.

Off Topic:
Due to the difficult nature of understanding humor over the internet, the latter statement there is a joke, though the first statement is the truth.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know you are just joking BUT! A can of "fix a flat" is a VERY bad idea on these cars. The tires have pressure sensors in them. The "goo" that makes "fix-a-flat" seal the puncture will get into the sensor and cause failures on the TPS modules. Its in the manual.

If its just a matter of the tire going down then I keep a small 12V compressor in the back.

That being said.... I don't understand the fasination with full size spares. The spare is just there so you can limp somewhere for a repair/tire. You can go fast enough on one to manage and far enough unless you are REALLY remote. It doesn't damage the vehicle that its smaller (its just a bit annoying to drive).

A full size spare gets you:

1) more weight thereby lower MPG cost.

2) an extra tire you have to work into your tire rotation (which is recommended because when changing the tire you probably intend to leave it on the car so it should be evenly worn)

I've been driving for 20 years...... I've never had a flat yet (knock on wood). I will someday, but frankly a mini-spare seems fine for a 1 in >20 year occurance.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Enthusiast

Gosh guys...quit slamming me on my full spare. I got 34.2 on my last tank ( weather has changed here and Im using some AC) so I dont think this tire is effecting my MPG all that much. Besides, as a woman who travels alone or with small children most of the time, and in many remote areas, I wanted a real tire. I had a blow out in my old volvo years ago, managed to get the donut on, felt like I was driving a car with three wheels and a block of concrete for 50 miles to the nearest garage which was closed. I was in Snowshoe WV with no cell phone access ( thus no AAA) and that was "it" for me and donuts. I guess the point is, we make decisions based on experience. Give a gal a break guys!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Anne,

Your the smart one on this issue. The best time to get the FEH rim and tire is when ordering or buying it as a part of the original deal. These guy's haven't had to wait ten days for a tire and drive around on an unsafe donut with their families. I put almost 500 miles on my donut and it made the FEH handle like crap, look like crap and was unsafe in an emergency.

As far as weight, most of us carry around a spare tire on our waist and have a MTE reading of over 700 miles! The twenty or so pounds more than a donut is about as much as many have added with a hitch.

A matching rim and tire will also be nice if one get damaged in an accident. The cost of the regular spare is nothing compared to the piece of mind you must have. I thought the eco plus tires would be in the dealerships by now, but people are still having a hard time getting them.

GaryG

Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

For the folks with the full sized spares, did you just get a steel rim or did you go with an orig. alloy?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Fix-a-flat won't do you a bit of good if you shred a tire. Having to wait for the AAA and then for them to fix (or replace) the flat doesn't seem efficient.

We had a flat last week. I put the donut on, ran the tire (in another car) to the shop for a new tire while my wife drove (less than 30 miles and less than one day) on the donut. When she got home from work, I changed it back. I am considering a full size, since I am at the point where I need new tires all around. I will see if I can find a rim and have them put it on and stow it underneath.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You know... I apologize....That wasn't meant to sound as nasty as it apparently did. Sorry about that.

I merely meant that if its a real pain to get a full size spare on there... try not to fret about it too much. The donuts aren't unsafe or damaging to the vehicle if you keep to a low speed and follow the rules, but I think people preceive them as if they are.

After all, like others have said.... its your piece of mind and your car.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

I got the rim/wheel which I think is alloy that matches the others plus the eco tire from the dealer's parts department where I bought the car. I had to wait two days for them to arrive and be installed so I took delivery two days later than planned. I think the total for the rim, tire, balance etc was $232.00. I had them check it when I went in for my 5K tune up and will have it put into the rotation when I go in next week for warranty work ( cargo carpet again) and oil change. I am relieved to have the exact same tire/wheel as what is on the rest of the car. One of the reasons I did this was reading on this website about the eco tire being hard to find which I envisioned meant I could drive for a long time on a donut which can't be good for the car.

You absolutley cannot see it hanging from under the car. In fact, the dealer hadnt had that request before so they tried one from another car to make sure it would fit before I bought it.

Im not showing 715 miles to empty though. Gary, how in the world are you getting that mileage?

Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Brianva, I ordered the full FEH rim and eco plus tire. Since I had the Goodyear road hazard protection and got one new tire, I just thought that I needed a real spare in case this happens again. If I have another flat with sidewall damage, I can put a matching tire and rim on the FEH now. Also, I can put the donut in the back while waiting for a new tire. Thought when I sell the FEH, I could sell the original rare Hybrid eco plus tire and rim on Ebay for a good price. I'd stick the donut back on to sell the FEH, if the buyer didn't want to add $225 extra.

Here is the information you need to buy an eco plus tire.

Your Ford Dealership must call Continental special customer service at 1-800-847-3349 the part # is Continental 23245 and Ford # 9002-1546395-0000. The price is now $106.25 each and expect 10 days to get it or them. You will need to give them your VIN before you can even order one.

The rim part #5M6Z-1007-AA is $305.85 plus a $50 core price. Total with 6.5% tax was $492.15

When you need to drive highway speeds for two weeks with a donut, you may want to think about it. Just a tire at home maynot do you much good it your on a trip. Like I said, the best way to buy the real spare is when you purchase the FEH like Anne. I do have the additional donut if I'm having a real bad hair day just in case though.

GaryG

Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Anne, you sure got a better price on your full spare than I did. Did you check the rim and tire close for the same markings? Two days is also a very short time to get that eco plus tire. The rim is not that hard to get right now from Ford, but the tire is a special order from a special department at Continental. The parts department at the dealership had to call three departments at Continental to get to the number I posted. If anyone is thinking of getting the eco plus, they better take that number with them to the dealership or have a lot of time to kill.

As far as the 715 MTE, look over at my trip O and notice I had 30 miles on that tank when I got home to take the picture. Most of my driving is city, and I use EV very effectively. Read the article I wrote at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ "Hypermiling The Ford Escape Hybrid" for details. If you use these techniques when on roads you can, you will raise your mpg average.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Full Size Spare on FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands