How to test battery pack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: How to test battery pack?

Originally Posted by scmike
Bill,
Maybe our 05-07's can be reflashed to 40-60 by a crafty Hybrid tech.? Or, if someone has an 05-07 out of warranty, a knowledgeable programmer could find a way to raise the upper limit...and get more EV distance...
M

You CAN do this. This HAS been done. You can do this by the "brute force" method. ( electronically )

Ford reports the calcuated SOC slowly ( at a low Hz ).
You add in your own "talker" or CAN transmitter that talks fast. ( at a high Hz ). The FEH "sees" 100's or 1000's of YOUR data, and the real one piece of data gets lost in the noise, or is ignored as an "outlier" or whatever. The FEH "believes" the 100's of your data, which match, and not the one real piece of data, which is "different".

What you can do is "lie" to the car and make it do what you want.
Tell the FEH the SOC is 65% and it will give you EV when the real SOC is something very low, even in the 25% range. Tell the car the SOC is 35% when it is really 65%, and the FEH will start charging.

Now, I know this works from "trial and error" but know less about why it works. Just it works.

Is any of this good? Well, yes and no. Good for MPG? YES. Good for the life expectancy of the battery? NO!

I've read that the NiMH cells used in these cars, can take about 10,000 charge-discharge cycles. But that refers to 10,000 times to fully charged, to fully depleted. One can infer, that the cells will last 50,000 cycles from 40% to 60% ( or 100,000 cycles from 42% to 53% where the car spends most of it's time )

Lastly, to Bill, I was telling posters that the car will ALWAYS turn the engine on when the REPORTED or CALCULATED SOC is at exactly 40%. It never waits to 39%. Ever. The trigger, as you put it is indeed exact.
I never once claimed the exact true to life SOC was 40%. I never, ever, discussed anything other.

As far as for seeing a decline with age... this may be nearly impossible... by design. Since only 13% of the battery capacity is used on a daily basis... that 13% represents 235 watt-hours from a 1.8 kWh battery pack.
We may be getting 235 watt-hours from the "middle" of the pack when new, and it may take the full range of the pack's ability when old to deliver 235 watt-hours... but none of this will be seen in the first 15 years and / or 300,000 miles. None are yet this old, and few have gone the distance.

HTH,
-John

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: How to test battery pack?

FWIW, I've lived in the same house for the past 9 years.
( Hence I drive the same roads on a regular basis. )
I've owned a FEH since mid-March of 2005.

I've done many, many endurance tests.
In 4.25 years and 84,000 miles, my FEH goes the same distance on the same roads in EV as it did when new. ( actually, less when new, more distance now, I should say it goes the same distance now, as it did after the "break-in" period of about 3000 miles )

So in truth, my FEH goes the same distance in EV at 84,000 miles as it did at 3000 miles. It still reports 40-53% SOC as the norm.

I'm curious now to try the 'recharge time' with a stop watch.
That's one test I've not done. It could have changed by a few seconds, but it's been nothing noteworthy in 4.25 years... but since the change is gradual... it wouldn't be noticable w/o documentation, so lets all start!

HTH,
-John

Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to test battery pack?

"It still reports 40-53% SOC as the norm."

Just as the software should. The issue is the chemistry in the battery and that will have to await extended real life experience.

I've posted previously that Pb-Acid traction batteries begin life at ~90% of rated, rise to a peak of around ~110% and then decline to ~80%, which is defined end of life for them. The reason is the way the chemistry improves for awhile as the battery is worked followed by the long term degradation of the chemistry inside the cell.

We just don't yet have enough experience to see how these NiMH batteries will perform over a "liftime."

When the "sensor" tells the software the battery is at 40% the software will start the ICE and recharge the battery. The key issue here is what is amount of energy in the battery when the sensor trips the software, not what the trip point is.

That is why I mentioned doing a repeatable test every so often to see if the amount of energy in the battery is changing.

Don't confuse the software set-point with the amount of energy available in the battery.

It took me awhile in previous posts to realize some were talking of the software set-point and not the chemistry of the battery & how the sensors & A-D converters worked.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM

I agree that, with a 13% band of charge-discharge, we may never see the equivalent of the Pb-Acid stuff I mentioned. Ford's selected band is just too small. So we'll just have to watch these.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by brett
Hi guys

• Plug and Play high speed USB interface, with easy to use and intuitive Windows software supplied on CD ROM.
  • Scientifically analyzes battery performance with a true constant current battery capacity test that is graphically displayed.
  • Perform tests quickly at real world load conditions, up to 150 watts or 40 amps maximum, whichever is higher!
  • High voltage testing at up to 48 volts; the equivalent of 1 to 38 NiCad or NiMh cells.
  • Save, display and print battery test graphs and battery labels.
  • Measures and displays voltage, current, amp-hrs, watts and temperature*.
  • Easy overlay comparisons of multiple graphs may be displayed saved and recalled.
  • Test any type of battery: NiCad, NiMH, Lead Acid, Li Ion, Li Poly, Alkaline, Carbon Zinc, Mercury etc; from coin cell to automotive or larger.
  • Accurate measurement with up to 12 bit resolution. Auto selection of two current and three voltage ranges.
  • Each CBA is individually, digitally calibrated, against NBS traceable instruments.
  • On board C8051 based USB Micro controller.
  • Superior constant current testing , software and electronically regulated, using a solid state FET fan cooled electronic load.
  • Automatic test shut off at a safe pre-determined minimum battery voltage. Default shut off voltage may be user overridden.
  • Automatic test shut off at a pre-determined maximum battery temperature. (Requires optional temperature probe)
  • Fail safe: software and/or hardware protection of temperature, current, power.
  • Supplied with USB cable and high grade 13 gauge flexible Powerpole battery test cable. Optional battery connectors available.
  • Optional external temperature sensor provides measurement of battery temperature for automatic shutoff on over temperature.
  • Discharge test current user selectable from 0 to 40 Amps.
Thanks for all friends
I have a CBA-II and it ain't going to work on a 5.5Ah 330V Ni-MH pack even the HD model! I'm sure there is a tester for this but it's not available to consumers.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by suzymcnuzy
Sorry to ask, but
I'm a college student, doing research on hybrids for an advertising class at Texas State University,

If you own a hybrid, or are seriously looking to buy one, please fill out my short 15-question survey!! http://www.surveymethods.com/EndUser...95F9EBB8F5E5E6
Your survey doesn't work with Firefox, and it doesn't consider the FEH - it speaks of sedans only and FEH isn't an option.