The Hybrid Myth

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Hybrid Myth

Originally Posted by matthewspacc
Here is what I was promised by Ford. It comes directly from my warranty book
The picture in the middle did not copy and paste so here is a link to the PDF on Fords web site. Please see page 16. http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../05hevwa1e.pdf

As for the person above. Go pound sand. Just because my opinion differs from yours. You call for a moderator to shut this discussion down. I own a hybrid and I have an opinion. Just because I am not as happy as you doesn't mean I shouldn't be heard. If you planning on owning a hybrid for more then 7 years I would be very careful. I don't think it would be economical. But that's just my opinion. If you want to talk more about my experiences feel free to give me a call 912-313-1234. Anyone can call. Im traveling across the country in my hybrid stopping every 100 miles for gas (I'm pulling a trailer) so I don't run out. My average MPG is 12. So I have plenty of time to talk. But I'm sure you don't.

Matt
6. California requirements for emissions warranties
QUICK REFERENCE: EMISSIONS WARRANTY COVERAGE
This chart shows the coverage Ford Motor Company provides under the emissions control warranty to owners of vehicles certified for sale in Cali- fornia, (your Vehicle Emissions Control Information label will indicate certified for sale in California or conforms to California regulations) and registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont. This coverage is in addition to Fed- eral Emissions warranties (Page 12).
There are two warranties: • Defects Warranty
• Performance Warranty
For full details about coverage under California requirements for emis- sions control, see:
➡ Defects Warranties (pages 17-20)
➡ Performance Warranty (pages 17-18) ➡ What Is Covered? (pages 19-20)
➡ What Is Not Covered? (page 20)
The link you provided requires a log in.

Also, I hope your trailer is under the maximum weight, which I recall as 1500 lbs (or maybe 1000 lbs)? The FEH is not designed for any kind of towing. That's one reason Ford doesn't offer a hitch for it, so far as I know, nor a towing package.

Last, assuming the vehicle was originally purchased in a CARB state, the cooling fans are covered by Ford. There are several posts here about people who were told they were not covered, but then discovered that the Ford dealer simply had to order the repairs in a certain fashion.

Last edited by stevedebi; 10-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Last time I checked CARB stands for California air resources board. The car was purchased at Sunrise Ford in Studio City CA. it is registered in Simi Valley, CA. In fact it has never left the state of CA until 4 days ago. So I figure the warranty should be good. But not according to Ford. The reason is that the fans are not a part of the battery. And as for almost no failure? According to who? There are several people rebuilding the batteries now. How could that be if there were almost no failures. I think what you mean is that there were almost no failures under warranty.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Last time I checked CARB stands for California air resources board. The car was purchased at Sunrise Ford in Studio City CA. it is registered in Simi Valley, CA. In fact it has never left the state of CA until 4 days ago. So I figure the warranty should be good. But not according to Ford. The reason is that the fans are not a part of the battery. And as for almost no failure? According to who? There are several people rebuilding the batteries now. How could that be if there were almost no failures. I think what you mean is that there were almost no failures under warranty.
If the car history your have presented here is factual, then you are gold. The fans are not covered, but according to the Ford shop manuals, the fans are part of the hybrid battery assembly. The dealer has to order the entire battery assembly, and it will be covered. If they try and order just the fans, it is not covered. Full details, including parts you can print out and take to the dealer, are in the threads dealing with this issue.

Do a search on this site - this issue has been covered several times, and people have gotten Ford to replace the battery pack, which includes the fan, at no cost to the customer. It is part of the hybrid warranty.

EDIT: I just noticed the part about "until 4 days ago". If you are in a non-CARB state, they may give you some trouble. But my understanding is that what matters is where the car is bought and registered. You may need to take it back to CA (at the last extreme), where it should have no trouble. But I should think it is covered in any case.

Last edited by stevedebi; 10-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The fans are not covered, but according to the Ford shop manuals, the fans are part of the hybrid battery assembly. The dealer has to order the entire battery assembly, and it will be covered.

Not correct. The fans are covered and there is no way the dealer will replace the battery pack for a cooling fan failure.

There are multiple threads on getting the fans covered under the unique hybrid component warranty, including mine. Do a search.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Gator J.
Thanks for the advice. I did all that you are suggesting. I even sent you a message about getting a copy of the service manual. I like how you got your resolution. By going to the court and placing a bond. I printed it all out and talked to my dealer and the legal department at Ford and they have all denied my claim. I remember reading that you were trying to find out if there was a more streamlined way of getting this handled. There just isn't. that's why Ford will be meeting me in small claims. But thanks for all your writing. It was a good story. As you are an attorney look up Matt Spaccarelli Vs AT&T. That was a story about me suing AT&T you might find it interesting. My number is 912-313-1234 and my email is matthewspacc@yahoo.com

Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Not correct. The fans are covered and there is no way the dealer will replace the battery pack for a cooling fan failure.

There are multiple threads on getting the fans covered under the unique hybrid component warranty, including mine. Do a search.
Well, I haven't had this problem with my 08, so I was going on memory. I do recall that they had to order differently so that the repair was covered.

EDIT: OK, so I looked it up. One has to tell the dealer to search using the part number of the traction battery (not to replace the battery). I still think I did pretty good from memory... and like you, my main point was to search.

Last edited by stevedebi; 10-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Gator J.
Thanks for the advice. I did all that you are suggesting. I even sent you a message about getting a copy of the service manual. I like how you got your resolution. By going to the court and placing a bond. I printed it all out and talked to my dealer and the legal department at Ford and they have all denied my claim. I remember reading that you were trying to find out if there was a more streamlined way of getting this handled. There just isn't. that's why Ford will be meeting me in small claims. But thanks for all your writing. It was a good story. As you are an attorney look up Matt Spaccarelli Vs AT&T. That was a story about me suing AT&T you might find it interesting. My number is 912-313-1234 and my email is matthewspacc@yahoo.com
Did you try having them put in the warranty claim under the HVTB part number?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Yes and yes. I told the dealer to look up the battery part number and then search for a list of covered parts. I don't know if he did that or not. I do know that the people in the legal department have stopped responding to my emails and I have called Ford several times and I get no where. It is much easier and less time consuming to just handle it in small claims.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM

Gator J.

I don't have a 2005 manual...check eBay.

Trying to speak with Ford's legal department will get you nowhere. Your AT&T triumph notwithstanding, you are simply not equipped to deal with them.

Open a case with Ford customer care and try to get it elevated as quickly as possible. You have enough case numbers and names of supervisors from the various threads that maybe, even if you can't get one of those assigned, you can at least get them to communicate with one another. Also, to be clear..the blend door issue is not covered by the unique hybrid component warranty, the cooling fans are.

Check to see if California has the equivalent of Florida's motor vehicle repair bond...that is your "ace in the hole".

Last edited by GatorJ; 10-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

I did check to see if we had the repair bond and found that we have something kind of like it but I would have had to go in front of a judge first. I needed the car right away for my trip to GA which is where I am now. I did start a case with Fords costumer care and got know where. The lady said it was not covered and that was final. I don't think I or anyone should have to go through the hoops that you did to get this repair covered. I am not going to argue with them anymore. When I get home from GA I'm just going to go to small claims. Maybe that will make it easier for people in the future.

About the blend door. My door used to open and suck air from the outside. After I got the car back from Ford it no longer opens. Could this be a part of the ECM reprogram they did with the fan replacement. I assume that people would forget to change the filter and ford just decided to keep the door closed so the air would just recirculate. Could this be correct?

Quick Reply: The Hybrid Myth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands