K&N Air Filter for 08's

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 AM
N/A
Default Re: K&N Air Filter for 08's

I received mine yesterday from AutoAnything and installed it. From the packing slip it looks like they ordered it from a 3rd party vendor and had it drop shipped to me. I'll see if I notice any difference and post the results.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

are there any MPG improvements w/ new K&N filter part 33-2347

Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes. The majority of people see at least 2 MPG more.
Plus it is good for the life of the car.
Less cost in the long run, and less trash to the land fill also.
Win/Win.
-John

Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks John! after reading the thread it seemed like the jury was out lol, but im now heading to Autozone (tomorrow morning) and installing my K & N!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRicci8996
are there any MPG improvements w/ new K&N filter part 33-2347
you won't see much difference in mpg if the factory filter you're replacing is fairly new. If you replace a dirty one, you may well see a 2 mpg improvement.

I replaced a paper filter that looked brand new with the K&N a while back & really noticed little to no difference. As a matter of fact, I had completely forgotten it was in there & that would not be the case if my mpg had jumped up enough to notice.

~John

Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
you won't see much difference in mpg if the factory filter you're replacing is fairly new. If you replace a dirty one, you may well see a 2 mpg improvement.

~John
John, I drive enough on dirt roads that I will need to replace my air filter on an accelerated schedule, maybe twice as often.

Do you think there's an advantage to the K&N filter under those conditions, or am I better off staying with paper?

Can you tell visually if a K&N filter is dirty, like you can with paper?

And how involved (and dirty) is it to clean the K&N filter?

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
John, I drive enough on dirt roads that I will need to replace my air filter on an accelerated schedule, maybe twice as often.

Do you think there's an advantage to the K&N filter under those conditions, or am I better off staying with paper?

Can you tell visually if a K&N filter is dirty, like you can with paper?

And how involved (and dirty) is it to clean the K&N filter?

Thanks.
I think it makes sense to use the K&N, you can clean it indefinitely & they're pretty easy to clean (there is a kit you buy for cleaning).

The only thing is, when you clean it you have to make sure you don't overoil it. Putting too much oil in the element is reported by some people to cause problems with the MAF (mass airflow sensor)

I am a big fan of K&N filters, we run them in all the Harleys we build & I have run one in just about every vehicle I have ever owned (I have had one in my Holiday Rambler motorhome for over 20 years)

~John

Old 07-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have used K&N filters for years in traditional vehicles. Thats the 2nd thing I change on new vehicles right after the factory tires. Usually, I attack the spark plugs next, but I think Ford uses a performance plug to begin with.

K&N filters are easy to tell when they are dirty because they begin to look dry and you cant see light through them. I usually just clean it every oil change or 3K miles. To clean them, just spray it down with Purple Power (Advanced has it) let it set a few minutes then rinse it out good in the direction opposite the airflow. Let it dry a little bit, and then soak WD-40 through it. The great thing about WD-40 is that a good majority of it evaporates...thus less chance of causing a sensor issue, but leaving enough oil to help attract dust.

I have always seen a 1-2 mpg difference, plus the engine seems more responsive. But this has been on 5.9, or 5.8 liter motors.

I dont see a cold air induction kit, where the actual air filter box is removed and replaced with something more free flowing. This would also probably be a good enhancement. The only thing is if the exhaust CAT back is too restrictive, than you can only put in as much air as you can discharge out, if that makes sense.

So to improve the motor function we need cold air induction, and a nice performance exhaust system....

Also, has anyone replaced the factor plugs with something that is more peformance rated.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by pb5927317
I have used K&N filters for years in traditional vehicles. Thats the 2nd thing I change on new vehicles right after the factory tires. Usually, I attack the spark plugs next, but I think Ford uses a performance plug to begin with.

K&N filters are easy to tell when they are dirty because they begin to look dry and you cant see light through them. I usually just clean it every oil change or 3K miles. To clean them, just spray it down with Purple Power (Advanced has it) let it set a few minutes then rinse it out good in the direction opposite the airflow. Let it dry a little bit, and then soak WD-40 through it. The great thing about WD-40 is that a good majority of it evaporates...thus less chance of causing a sensor issue, but leaving enough oil to help attract dust.

I have always seen a 1-2 mpg difference, plus the engine seems more responsive. But this has been on 5.9, or 5.8 liter motors.

I dont see a cold air induction kit, where the actual air filter box is removed and replaced with something more free flowing. This would also probably be a good enhancement. The only thing is if the exhaust CAT back is too restrictive, than you can only put in as much air as you can discharge out, if that makes sense.

So to improve the motor function we need cold air induction, and a nice performance exhaust system....

Also, has anyone replaced the factor plugs with something that is more peformance rated.

To anyone doing research on air filters who was linked to this thread, do NOT use WD-40 to re-oil your K&N. The air filter oils are formulated to have a certain tackiness to capture and hold dust/dirt. WD-40 is not formulated for this purpose and using it to re-oil your filter is a really bad idea.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have used WD40 for years, to recharge my K&N filters, with cars that I have drove 150k miles, never had the first problem.

The filter gets just as dirty with WD40 as it does with the fancy K&N kit.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for 08's

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands