Make your own cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 AM
HEV's are your friend
Question Make your own cabin air filter?

I was browsing around for cabin air filter information for my gf's Xb, and found this thread on making your own filter...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...d4121445fdb3e6

Seems that I could by a much better filter media from HomeDepot and cut to fit for my FEH as well...

What do people think?

(I know there are other Cabin Filter Threads...I just figured this was a bit more on topic than the others led )

Last edited by EOppie; 03-21-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Make your own cabin air filter?

Originally Posted by EOppie
I was browsing around for cabin air filter information for my gf's Xb, and found this thread on making your own filter...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...d4121445fdb3e6

Seems that I could by a much better filter media from HomeDepot and cut to fit for my FEH as well...

What do people think?

(I know there are other Cabin Filter Threads...I just figured this was a bit more on topic than the others led )
I just did this for my '07 yesterday, so I can give you some feedback.

I only made my own filter because they changed the shape for '07 and the filters don't seem to be available anywhere. My local Ford dealer (hybrid certified) said they couldn't get them and had never seen one.

So I went to Lowes and got a $15 3M 20" x 20" furnace filter with the chicken wire on both sides. Filter box came open per the instructions and I laboriously made a cardboard template that would fit into the box. With the template I then cut the furnace filter to shape leaving it slightly oversize (1/8") on all sides. The filter is a hassle to cut cleanly, you need both tin snips for the wire and scissors to cut the paper. The edges were not particularly smooth but I didn't tape them yet.

I tried the filter in the filter box and it fit quite well, and the rough edges could be tucked in making a nice tight seal. Taping the edges was not necessary in my case and would not have improved the fit or sealing.

On the '07, the filter box is made of black plastic with a wire mesh covering the air intake holes. This wire mesh is anchored by melting the plastic filter box in spots. Looking at my box, the wire mesh was a bad fit and poorly anchored, but too secure to remove. So I took a soldering gun and tacked down the wire mesh to the filter box in a few more places to make it tighter.

That's it. Took about one hour. The '06 should be easier because your filter is rectangular. But your filter is also readily available at auto parts stores, so you could even buy one for now and use it later as a template when you change it out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cabin Filter.pdf (189.8 KB, 991 views)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Thanks after searching and reading your post I realized they changed the firewall in 2007 and there is no factory cabin air filter available. So I guess I will build my own like econoline.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 AM

Is there any info the the 08's? Is there a place for a filter, is it an easy part to find if there is?

Duh, read the book: FP-66, = Fram CF9362 as well as others.

Before I go tearing the car apart, and freak my wife out, does one come installed in 08?

Last edited by 08hybridok; 06-27-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

yeah I would like to know the same thing! where is it on the 08'? I would think ones comes in it since they have a part number for it in the book. Its weird that they have explanations on how and where the filters for the engine and the rear battery a/c filters but not the cabin filter.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
yeah I would like to know the same thing! where is it on the 08'? I would think ones comes in it since they have a part number for it in the book. Its weird that they have explanations on how and where the filters for the engine and the rear battery a/c filters but not the cabin filter.
Did you try the instructions in the attachment to post #2 of this thread to see if they are applicable to the '08? I bet they are.

Last edited by econoline; 06-28-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Make your own cabin air filter?

Post #37 in this thread made an interesting comment about using a Mercury Sable C.A.F

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...bin+air+filter

Old 06-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Did you try the instructions in the attachment to post #2 of this thread to see if they are applicable to the '08? I bet they are.
I suspect they are the same too, but #1) I have to wait for this unseasonable moonsoon season to end, this is like day 17-18 in a row of rain here in OK. This is normaly the time of year a heat dome parks over the state and we don't see a drop of rain until sep. and the temps park at 110! So Temp wise I'm happy, but the snorkel gear just to walk outside is getting old.
#2) I was hoping to be lazy and have a higher all knowing power do the work for me!

CNG, I thought you dumped yours for a Prius?!
Does Bob Tomes still have like 20 FEH's on the lot?!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Does anyone know if the '08 CAF will work on the '07?

One of the very few changes made with the '07, was to change the CAF design. The one used on the '06 and older, doesn't fit. I was hoping that the '07 was an early preview of the '08, and that when the '08 came out, a CAF that actually fits right out of the box would finally become available from Ford.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
Duh, read the book: FP-66, = Fram CF9362 as well as others.
Isn't the CF9362 the one used on '06 and older ??? If correct, then the '08 went back to the old design, leaving '07 unique and unsupported (by even Ford)???

Quick Reply: Make your own cabin air filter?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands