Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Max out steering, a bad thing? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/max-out-steering-bad-thing-21041/)

08hybridok 02-18-2009 12:34 AM

Max out steering, a bad thing?

I was brought up (Dad was a Ford mechanic most of my childhood) it's bad to max out the steering (turn until it stops). Bad on the parts, lube, etc. With elec assist vs power (fluid) asst is this still such a bad idea?
I only ask because lately it seems so easy to do, esp in parking lots, make a sharp turn to get into a tight spot and 'klunk' it's maxed out.

What do you think?

MyPart 02-18-2009 09:59 AM

Re: Max out steering, a bad thing?

I grew up with the same scenario (dad a mechanic and driving older model Fords). From that, I know the older Ford hydraulic power steering units did not have a relief valve (or other bypass) so when the wheel reached the end of its possible travel the system would build up pressure since there was nowhere for it to go. This was bad all around as it could bust PS hoses and ruin pumps and racks.

Since I no longer see those issues or hear that dreadful pump whine, I expect that Ford PS designs have changed (especially with the FEH's electric assisted steering). I would also expect that the electronic system works much like a robotic system and has a sensor that detects the end of travel and thus protects the unit. It just seems too logical not to do this.

Maybe someone else will have more definitive information from one of the shop manuals.

colchiro 02-18-2009 01:49 PM

They told us in school (years ago) that it was no big deal as long as you didn't keep it at the end-of-travel.

wwest 02-19-2009 08:43 AM

You may not have driven a FWD vehicle before and since they have a much wider trun radius that might be causing your effect. Having drive "axles" and CV joints in the front generally restrict the turn radius meaning you will more often reach the end of travel.

08hybridok 02-19-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 197750)
You may not have driven a FWD vehicle before and since they have a much wider trun radius that might be causing your effect. Having drive "axles" and CV joints in the front generally restrict the turn radius meaning you will more often reach the end of travel.

Could be, I drove a 66 mustang (manual everything), Contour (for only 6 months) 97 F150, 00 Expedition, 65 falcon (power steering), and did have a 04 freestar for a year, don't recall reaching it's limits often, but then it made noise in a parking lot, engine, whine of the PS unit (like most all Fords do, I can hear them all over parking lots, don't even have to look to know its a Ford.) and now Little. Guess it's the quietness and ease of turing the wheel, normaly at slow/stop speeds turning the wheel still takes a little effort, it's so effortless in the FEH.

gpsman1 02-21-2009 09:06 PM

I have often wondered about this too, since I need to turn the wheel 100% to make it in/out of my parking garage without doing a 3-point turn.
I do not ever hear any noise in my FEH at max.
In my 1988 Dodge Dakota, ( hardly used these days ) I hear the belt squeal every time.

wwest 02-23-2009 10:06 AM

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the design engineers didn't provide a current flow limit to prevent overtaxing the electronics by "pushing" into the end travel limit. And I know they have a temperature detection that limits the level of assist if the system's power output devices' temperature begins to approach the upper limit.