Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Mobil 1 ATF Spec (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/mobil-1-atf-spec-22094/)

Bill Winney 07-06-2009 05:59 PM

Mobil 1 ATF Spec

1 Attachment(s)
As I went to change transaxle oil I read the Mobil 1 label and it has changed. It now says that it is not recommended for CVTs and a couple of other special formulations Ford uses.

After much searching on the internet I found the attached TSB from Ford.

Its clear to me that a CVT is fundamentally different from the eCVT in the Escape Hybrid... but in the world of warranty claims sometimes the rejection of a claim can be based on less.

In this TSB you'll see that Ford does make some CVTs (that use a different ATF) and that the Escape eCVT is differentiated from that transmission. In fact the TSB calls for the same spec ATF as goes into their conventional automatic transmission. This tracks the shop manual where both transmissions call for XT-2-QDX.

D-mac 07-07-2009 07:52 AM

Re: Mobil 1 ATF Spec

Excellent info! Supporting documentation that this fluid does not need to be changed as it does in other transmission.

FeelTheVolts 07-17-2009 09:41 PM

I researched this issue back in March when I needed to change my ATF in my 06 FEH. Used Mobil 1 Multivehicle ATF meeting the MERCON (and updated spec per the 2007 TSB mentioned above) spec. No problems.

TheBundo 08-01-2009 08:00 PM

This tranny is not a fluid-drive auto tranny as we are used to. It is a planetary gearset, and hence, much like an old-fashioned rear end differential, never needs to be changed, just check the fluid level

Bill Winney 08-01-2009 08:03 PM

Even old fashioned rear ends need their oil changed once in awhile.

gpsman1 08-02-2009 10:54 AM

Usually, only if they are submerged under water. Or, are damaged.

wptski 08-02-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 207986)
Usually, only if they are submerged under water. Or, are damaged.

Hmmm, lack of "quotes" again!

Not so! If you read your Maintainence Schedule Manual it says if you have a Ford-design rearend it's lifetime lube unless submerged because it uses synthetic oil but if it's a Dana at 105K or if you tow a lot change at every 3K or three months. This sounds similiar to what's suggested for a transmission if you tow a lot.

A 4WD Escape uses non-synthetic in the rearend, so I "assume" that makes it a non-Ford-designed Dana.

It might be different for a FEH.