Nav System & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Parrot Bluetooth carkit

Tim, thanks for the link to that thread. I've started posting there now, I wish there's a way to merge this thread with that.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav System & Bluetooth

Go to radioshack they should be able to help. The "vampire" connectors basically have little metal teeth that clamp onto an existing wire. The teeth penetrate the plastic coating and contact the wire to complete the circuit. This saves the trouble of cutting and soldering existing wires. You could probably use these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

The female connectors are little metal sleeves that you attach to the end of the wires....some are soldered on others can be crimped on. They are the same as / similar to the connectors inside most male/female computer connectors like monitor cables and serial cables. They slide into the existing harness on the back of the radio and when the harness is plugged into the radio, the female "sleeve" slips over the male "pins" in the back of the radio.

The part that attaches to the wire ends look like this:

Last edited by Tim K; 11-01-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

wow, excellent description and photos, Tim.

Another question, where does one get the "removal tools" or "keys" to open up the stock Nav/Radio unit? I see the "access holes" but when I picked up the vehicle the dealer never passed me anything like that.

There's actually a photo posted in the share section here:

Last edited by greenhybrider; 11-01-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
I have posted pictures of the "Phone" screen on the NAV and the Visteon bluetooth handsfree controler on the Share section under FEH.
Thanks for posting the photos, Mike.

Just a quick question about the Parrot/Visteon control panel. It seems like a cable needs to be connected at the lcd control panel to the "universal interface box". So where is a good location to mount the control panel with easy access to the hidden interface box?
On the dashboard? Through the a/c vents? Drilling required?!

According to this photo, it seems to be mounted behind the steering wheel? Does the Visteon kit come with any mounting kit?

Last edited by greenhybrider; 11-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM

I don't have the kit, but with all my research I think I understand it.

1. The "brain" can be mounted anywhere behind the dash....I don't know if you've stuck your head under there but there is a TON of room. Also, I'm sure the supplied cables are long enough to reach. As for a mounting location for the LCD unit, that is going to be up to you. I believe the kit comes with a little mounting bracket, adhesive tape to hold it on the dash. You also have to mount the little microphone somewhere though the kit appears to come with a little bracket that lets you attach it to the LCD unit.

2. The radio removal tools are like $5 at any autoparts store. The Ford ones are shaped like two metal U's.

3. This is the kit Visteon sells: Parrot CK3100 though any of the Parrot or other brand (Motorola, etc) will also work. http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd

You can find it cheaper by searching with a site like cnet shopping or pricegrabber.com

Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 AM

I wonder if someone made a hands-free phone kit, that could communicate using the ACP interface, if our Nav radio could then be able to display info, like phone numbers, on its LCD?

If someone made such a phone kit, I would think it would have to be the maker of the Nav unit itself, Visteon.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 AM

It is certainly possible, but the Nav unit itself would have to be updated to be able to process the information.....and expecting them to update this 5 year old brick is a hopeless thought. It doesn't even play MP3's or Satelite radio....

Old 11-02-2006, 11:38 AM

I was thinking that it might already be in there, with them having put provisions for phone sound. But, who knows.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Nav System & Bluetooth

WaltPA,

I was thinking that it might already be in there, with them having put provisions for phone sound. But, who knows.
I doubt if it is there, most of the Ford(visteon) radio have had phone mute for some time, I suspect that this is a carry over of this tech and will not support other features like reading data from the ACP bus. That said I do know that the NAV unit has support for a DVD player that is controlled through the ACP, but have yet to find out to what to what extent the control and display possibilities are.

greenhybrider,

Let me know how do with your install, I've posted wiring diagrams in the "Share" section that should help you.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...NAVpinouts.jpg

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...nHandsfree.JPG

I had them use double sided tape foam tape to mount the display unit to the dash just to the right of the steering column, so no drilling was needed.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
I had them use double sided tape foam tape to mount the display unit to the dash just to the right of the steering column, so no drilling was needed.
cool. how's the cable? does it remain fairly concealed?

Quick Reply: Nav System & Bluetooth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands