I just found this little "tidbit" in the Shop Manual Under Section 1,
Powertrain Control Software, RPM / Speed Limiter:
"Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud,
snow, ice, or excessive and sudden increase in RPM while in NEUTRAL or
while driving."

So... if you CAN "slip your wheels" when revving the engine in
Neutral, and this comes from an official Ford document, what does that
tell you? ( Revving the engine in neutral is usually prevented, try it
and see, but lets say there is a malfunction and it allows you to.)

To me, this sounds like things are in a state of stasis while in
neutral, but a sudden, large increase in engine RPM upsets that
stasis, and the increase in inertia could be transferred to the
wheels, before MG1 has a chance to counterbalance at the new
engine RPM. Maybe the computer prevents you from revving the engine
in neutral not to save gas, but to prevent the car from moving
unexpectedly? You can rev the engine in Park! Aha!
If Ford wanted to prevent dumb people from wasting gas in neutral,
don't you think they would do the same in park? It would be just as
easy to prevent you from revving the engine in park. Saving fuel must
not be the reason for preventing engine rev in neutral.

Also, notice you cannot start the engine when standing still in N?
I'm 99% sure this is because torque from the generator will travel the
path of least resistance, and that path could be the wheels, causing
the car to lurch when starting in N if your foot was not on the brake
hard enough. In park, there is a pawl or locking pin that prevents
the wheels from moving during engine cranking.

Oh, and the maximum permissible motor/generator temperature is something like 220'C. Does anyone think it will get hotter than that when towing, since it would not be doing any work, but simply free-wheeling?
-John

P.S. Also consider the VAST MAJORITY of owners will NEVER EVER tow behind a motorhome. The VAST MAJORITY will never tow at all. And the ones that tow from a break-down to a dealer will be for just a few miles, and usually less than highway speeds. Maybe we are all putting too much emphasis on the "rare" event of towing. If you consider a FEH will be towed a very few miles out of it's entire life, spinning the motor(s) in tow does not sound that bad. ( still sounds weird though )

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-03-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Default Re: Neutral Coasting

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I just found this little "tidbit" in the Shop Manual Under Section 1,
Powertrain Control Software, RPM / Speed Limiter:
"Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud,
snow, ice, or excessive and sudden increase in RPM while in NEUTRAL or
while driving."

So... if you CAN "slip your wheels" when revving the engine in
Neutral, and this comes from an official Ford document, what does that
tell you? ( Revving the engine in neutral is usually prevented, try it
and see, but lets say there is a malfunction and it allows you to.)

To me, this sounds like things are in a state of stasis while in
neutral, but a sudden, large increase in engine RPM upsets that
stasis, and the increase in inertia could be transferred to the
wheels, before MG1 has a chance to counterbalance at the new
engine RPM. Maybe the computer prevents you from revving the engine
in neutral not to save gas, but to prevent the car from moving

Also, notice you cannot start the engine when standing still in N?
I'm 99% sure this is because torque from the generator will travel the
path of least resistance, and that path could be the wheels, causing
the car to lurch when starting in N if your foot was not on the brake
hard enough. In park, there is a pawl or locking pin that prevents
the wheels from moving during engine cranking.

P.S. Also consider the VAST MAJORITY of owners will NEVER EVER tow behind a motorhome. The VAST MAJORITY will never tow at all. And the ones that tow from a break-down to a dealer will be for just a few miles, and usually less than highway speeds. Maybe we are all putting too much emphasis on the "rare" event of towing. If you consider a FEH will be towed a very few miles out of it's entire life, spinning the motor(s) in tow does not sound that bad. ( still sounds weird though )
I've read that in the manual also and that goes back to things I've read about the traction motor engaging the ring gear at the intermediate shaft. I also agree that not allowing the ICE to rev in neutral has nothing to do with saving gas, and I don't know where you heard that.

I also don't know where you get you're 99% sure that the reason you can't start the ICE in neutral below 6mph has to do with vehicle surge. As everyone knows by now, I do key-off FAS, and many times I must restart before coming to a complete stop to avoid having to shift to "Park" to start. I think the speed of 6mph is to high for the cut-off point because I get away with less speed starting in neutral much of the time. Sometime I do get caught with my pants down and it won't start until I go to "Park", but I always don't let the speed dip that low if there is a car behind me. If there is any sort of surge, it is so light I can't feel it at those low speeds. However, I will not use the term "I'm 99% sure", but I will say the reason I think Ford programmed "Passive" neutral (below 6mph) was because they didn't want the ICE to stop or start while test were being performed by a Tech. As you and many of us with repair manuals know, the program will not allow the ICE to shutdown in Passive neutral either. What do you think that's all about if I'm wrong?

All I want is to get to the facts about our great vehicle to learn to drive in a safe FE manner.

GaryG

Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Gary, I still think use of the English language is confusing you.

You can have an "engaging" conversation without physically touching someone. You can "disconnect" the traction motor electronically, but not physically. I still say you have great ideas, but read stuff "between the lines" that isn't there.

About 2 years ago you said something to the effect of engineers were so good at making a fuel efficient vehicle, they won't even let you waste gas in Neutral. But that was a long time ago, and we've learned a lot since.

I spoke with the cream of the crop, the top of the top hybrid engineers in person in 2005. Each visitor was supposed to have 1 engineer for 90 minutes to talk to with questions and concerns. I told them I was representing a group of a couple hundred owners who couldn't make the trip, so I was going to have a long list of questions, and I was going to report back to the owners via web. Mary Ann Wright herself arranged for 3 to hang out with me, as she knew I was coming in advance.
The engineers spent 6-7 hours with me, and did not do to their afternoon sessions ( they got someone lower down to go with those afternoon customers ) because I had such a long list of technical questions. Some of which, they had to go and ask permission to share with me. More than once it was stated "I shouldn't be tell you this but..." or "I shouldn't be telling you this, but sounds like you'll probably discover this on your own anyway..." Wayne will attest to the fact that I had the engineer in the car who was Ford's best driver, and "After 2 years of practice, got 50.3 MPG on the test route, but ( direct quote here ) didn't expect any owners to get that high." With (5) five 200+ pound men in the car, plus Wayne's and my suitcases, driving on a route I had never seen before, designed to mimic the EPA lab test as far as speeds and stops, I nailed down 54.0 MPG. Did I try? sure. Did I try hard? not really. I didn't know half the stuff I know now. And I only had 6 months of driving practice, and 7000 miles on the odo.
My results were published nation-wide in USA today 4 days later.
You see, the 5 (large!) grown men in the car on my MPG challenge were myself ( 200#) Wayne (200#) USA Today Reporter (260-280#), Ford Engineer #1 who got the best MPG at 50.3 (175#) and Ford Engineer #2 in charge of hybrid programming ( 160# ). In the back was my luggage (50# since I was away from home for 5 days ) and Wayne's ( Probably 20# since he was away from home for only 2 days ). So 54.0 MPG with 1070 pounds and only 6 months of ownership, and not doing any FAS or drafting or anything else "unusual"... ( maybe LGA, but I can't remember ) means I was doing something right way back then..., and if I knew then, what I know now... that would have been 60+ MPG. With just my 200#, perhaps 68 MPG which is about where I max out now.

Moral of the story is, I am just as experienced as anyone here Gary, and have the same number of miles of practice as you ( just creeping up to 40,000 ) and have read pretty much the same documents as you, but you have read more patents then I have, but I have spent more hours under the hood, under the dash, and under the car than you have. I base what I post primarily on how the car feels, looks, smells, sounds, and behaves. You on the other hand, post information from obscure patents that have no reference to the FEH other than the word Ford.
I base what I post on constant, reliable, repeatable data from instruments.
I design experiments that look at one variable at a time.
I follow the modern scientific method.
I have a 4 year degree in Science.
I am state licensed to teach science to grades 7 thru 12.
I have a 2 year trade school degree in drafting and mechanical drawing.
And I am AutoCAD 2005
certified.
I have taught High School technical trades (wood shop, metal shop, drafting, basics of engineering, hydraulics, and pneumatics)
I currently work making fuel ethanol doing both mild engineering in plant-wide operations, as well as run laboratory quality control tests.
I currently spend time on my days off with a firm developing plug-in battery packs for hybrid vehicles as a FEH expert consultant
In their auto shop I have seen their FEH's in many stages of disassembly that most people could only dream of.
I have seen the completed Lithium packs for the Ford Escape.
I am scheduled to test drive the plug-in Escape in the next few weeks and collect performance data. ( They stress they want MPG data that the average consumer will get... which is going to be hard for me to drive "average"! ) The plug-in Prius they have gets about 120 MPG in mixed driving, by an average joe. I told them to expect the plug-in Escape to get 100 MPG, and no-one in the company believes me! ( They are shooting for 60 MPG, and I tell them I can get that with the stock battery! ) Actually, that's how I got hooked up with them. They were advertising a "60 MPG Escape Coming Soon!" I said "What do you mean coming soon? I have one now!" And that got the conversation rolling and one thing led to another.
I won't own a plug-in soon, but I will be driving one soon.

So this is getting long, but I'm getting tired of GaryG throwing rude comments out there and questioning my abilities or knowledge base, even though it is only a manifestation of his... I don't even know... inadequate feelings about himself or whatever. If he complained to me in private messages, I'd talk back in private messages. But his harping like an old maid is getting real old. I'll hope all our fans out there enjoy this reading.
Certainly not the same old same old. I hear quite a fan club is forming.
Can I start charging a membership fee to access these threads?

Oh. I was being polite earlier Gary. I didn't want to slap you silly (again).
I am 100% sure (not 99%) why the FEH won't start in Neutral when you are stopped because I asked this during my 7 hour chat at Ford HQ in Dearborn in 2005.
I know I told you this before, and I know I brought this to your attention back in 2005 when you were still polite and kind to others back then, but, this is so long already, what's a couple more lines....
The reason why you cannot start the car in neutral while standing still is there is no parking pawl to provide resistance for the motor to send torque into the ICE. In order for power to be sent one way though a 3-way power split device, one member needs to be held steady.

The whole idea ( of yours ) that the reason Ford programed the engine to stay off or on in passive neutral is ridiculous. There are no grounds or merit for that at all. Be serious. Or was that meant to be a joke? I can't tell anymore. A service tech with a service tool could send 1 bit of data into the computer, and the car would stay on or off to his heart's content.
Or, ever hear of turning the A/C or defrost on in Neutral? What do you think that does? Exactly. It toggles a bit in the computer memory that forces the ICE to stay on, no matter what. There's any number of things you could do to keep the engine off.

Oh, with 100% certainty, the reason the ICE will not shut off in Neutral standing still is the same. The computer knows if it did shut down, it would not be able to start without the parking pawl, so it stays on in a self-preservation mode.

When the vehicle is moving 6 MPH or greater, there is enough torque from the Traction Motor to resist the torque ( like a parking pawl would ) of the generator, and the generator is now able to send torque into the ICE end of the power-split ( CVT ). The whole idea that we are sending torque ANYWHERE in neutral is proof in itself that Neutral does not mechanically disconnect anything. Otherwise, a motor would only spin itself in neutral.
GaryG, do you NOW see what's going on!?!?
Please tell me you do.
If not, just please quietly go away then.

Drive in Peace.

Originally Posted by GaryG
I've read that in the manual also and that goes back to things I've read about the traction motor engaging the ring gear at the intermediate shaft. I also agree that not allowing the ICE to rev in neutral has nothing to do with saving gas, and I don't know where you heard that.

I also don't know where you get you're 99% sure that the reason you can't start the ICE in neutral below 6mph has to do with vehicle surge. I will say the reason I think Ford programmed "Passive" neutral (below 6mph) was because they didn't want the ICE to stop or start while test were being performed by a Tech. As you and many of us with repair manuals know, the program will not allow the ICE to shutdown in Passive neutral either. What do you think that's all about if I'm wrong?

All I want is to get to the facts about our great vehicle to learn to drive in a safe FE manner.

You say you want facts. You have the facts. -John

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-03-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe most of the "Joe and Janes" visiting this site eventually realize this site features a significant amount of unique and detailed information that is unlikely to be found elsewhere. We learn from a variety of posters with their own unique personalities. Sometimes these personalities overshadow the details all of us are seeking.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:39 PM

I know and I agree.
I feel like we are going in circles.
I'm not talking about religion, or personal beliefs.
I'm not posting what I believe to be true in most cases.
Gary just won't believe something that is factual in nature.
It has nothing to do "personality" IMHO.
You have been here a shorter amount of time than most, and have been as helpful as any. Thank You.

Last edited by gpsman1; 08-03-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:16 AM
SPL

I've been reading this thread with interest!

DesertDog and gpsman1 — Do you know where CAN-bus codes might be available for accessing hybrid-related data in the Toyota Camry hybrid, similar to the codes that you're using to access these data in the FEH? I have a ScanGaugeII, and have been wanting to do this for nearly a year now, but I don't know the appropriate codes. Any information you can provide would be most welcome!

Stan

Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 PM

I'm just barely learning how to do this with Ford. Sorry, I have no data for other makes.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SPL

DesertDog and gpsman1 — Do you know where CAN-bus codes might be available for accessing hybrid-related data in the Toyota Camry hybrid, similar to the codes that you're using to access these data in the FEH? I have a ScanGaugeII, and have been wanting to do this for nearly a year now, but I don't know the appropriate codes. Any information you can provide would be most welcome!

Stan
Hi Stan

DesertDog (Carl) has started a thread on Cleanmpg.com and I have a feeling some of Toyota people there are interested in getting the SG11 information just like you. His thread is in the Ford section at:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/ford/...-feh-5747.html

GaryG

Old 08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
SPL

Thanks GaryG. I'll have a look!

Stan

Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL

Stan
I have never seen a Toyota hybrid shop manual, but I have a Toyota truck manual and there are no PID lists in it. I haven't seen anything on the web that lists the PIDs, but someone should have it somewhere. If you have a different scan tool (like the Toyota factory one) available, you can connect your ScanGauge in parallel, and it will display what the other tool is sending. This is how some codes for the FEH have been "found." Failing that, I would ping Ron at Linear Logic and ask if he has any of the enhanced PIDs for the TCH, which hopefully are the same as the Prius. I hope he gets the firmware upgrade straightened out soon.

Or, if you've got a lot of time, just start sending CMNDS at 220000 and see what you get....

Quick Reply: Neutral Coasting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands