Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/new-member-new-ford-2008-2wd-escape-california-12669/)

Morocco 03-15-2007 01:56 PM

New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

Just bought my 2008 Escape on Thursday. The dealers here in Southern California have a few each, and are getting more.

They're offering incentives (3000, low apr loans) on the 2007s but I wanted to drive (and ended up buying) a 2008 after reading auto journalist Dan Neil's review of the 2008 a couple of months ago in the LA Times.

Had a good dealership experience, and so far the car is great. Base model, without the fancy hybrid/nav package. I did get roof cross bars (why Ford gives you the ourboard rails standard but makes the cross bars an option, I don't get) and a cargo liner. Oh and a Lojack, because my insurance basically paid for it.

I'll keep the board posted. Pun intended.

M

GaryG 03-15-2007 02:17 PM

Re: New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

Congrads on you new FEH!

Can you tell us how hard or easy it is to go in Electric Vehicle (EV) only, and what speed your able to run it at? We heard the software changes would help the problems we have. Does the FEH go EV when you let off the gas pedal is what I'm asking.

GaryG

Pravus Prime 03-16-2007 11:09 PM

Welcome to the club!

likelite 03-17-2007 08:16 PM

Hey folks, me 2! Literally just bought a new '08 Escape. No incentives here either...had been planning on ordering an '08 in Kiwi Green, but got to the dealer for a test drive and they had a charcoal colored car with basically exactly what I wanted for options (everything! including leather package and nav), so I went ahead and bought.

I LOVE this car so far. Only downside I notice is a hesitation when accelerating a bit, but it disappears once I reach cruising speed, and the mileage and comfort of the vehicle make up for it.

Looking forward to talking hybrids in the future. likelite aka Jean in Nashville, TN USA :)

TeeSter 03-18-2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by likelite (Post 116594)
Hey folks, me 2! Literally just bought a new '08 Escape. No incentives here either...had been planning on ordering an '08 in Kiwi Green, but got to the dealer for a test drive and they had a charcoal colored car with basically exactly what I wanted for options (everything! including leather package and nav), so I went ahead and bought.

I LOVE this car so far. Only downside I notice is a hesitation when accelerating a bit, but it disappears once I reach cruising speed, and the mileage and comfort of the vehicle make up for it.

Looking forward to talking hybrids in the future. likelite aka Jean in Nashville, TN USA :)

You'll find after a while that you won't notice the hesitation anymore.... either it goes away some as the car breaks in, or you just don't notice it. I remember not liking it on mine when I first got it but I don't notice it at all anymore.

Only time it feels a tiny bit underpowered is if I'm flooring it on an entrance ramp in the summer with the A/C going full tilt. But if the A/C isn't on I'm usually running up the bumper of the guy in front of me on the ramp no problem.

PML 03-19-2007 04:12 AM

Is the Navigation still a 6- CD based unit- or is it a touch screen like the Lincolns? Also do you still get the read out - of Gas Mileage - and where the power is going - etc. -

PHIL

TeeSter 03-19-2007 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by PML (Post 116748)
Is the Navigation still a 6- CD based unit- or is it a touch screen like the Lincolns? Also do you still get the read out - of Gas Mileage - and where the power is going - etc. -

PHIL

I think the website says its DVD based..... however... the website also said the old system was MP3 capable ;)

gpsman1 03-19-2007 08:23 PM

What??? You got ripped off!

The 2005's came with eleven (11) and 2006's came with a twelve (12) CD-Rom navigation set!

PHIL

WaltPA 03-20-2007 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 116763)
I think the website says its DVD based..... however... the website also said the old system was MP3 capable ;)

Oh, I didn't think PML was asking about the number of map disks, but as to if the new '08 Nav system is a still also a CD changer. In dash? Under seat? Still holds up to 6 CD's?

TeeSter 03-20-2007 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 116971)
Oh, I didn't think PML was asking about the number of map disks, but as to if the new '08 Nav system is a still also a CD changer. In dash? Under seat? Still holds up to 6 CD's?

Hmmm... that could be what he means.

Morocco 03-28-2007 11:37 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies.

Gary: My car is still under 200 miles, so it is pretty new, but it seems to be easy to go into EV mode -- the 'double tap' works, but generally it just drops into EV mode pretty much every time I slow down to a stop and stays there below 25 MPH, if I go easy on the gas pedal. It doesn't seem to be triggered by letting off the gas pedal, but seems to happen a second or two after that, if the speed is dropping. I'll do a lot more experimenting in the future!

I've had it almost to 40 in EV when going coasting down a long hill, but generally on level ground it will start the ICE just around 20 MPH unless I press it harder.

I haven't noticed any hesitation with acceleration, but I've been going easy, just trying to see how long I can stay in EV.

Also the crossbars were installed and I got the Ford 'Cargo Tray' which basically is a more rigid, rubber/plastic backed tray with an extra heavy pile carpet surface that 'sticks' to these "L-shaped" plastic blocks with a velcro like bottom. The idea is that you place the four blocks around an object and it keeps the object from sliding around. Kinda dinky -- I use a rubbermaid bin!

cngrevolution 04-25-2007 09:08 PM

Hey Gary I can answer your question. I can keep mine in EV mode sometimes almost up to 40mph. Also if i'm under 40mph the ICE will shut off, either by being in "L" or by doing the 2 tap on the brake pedal. As for the nav system its 7 speakers, has a 6.5" touch screen and it holds 6 CD's in the unit. no changer under the seat. it shows your last 15 min of mpg's also your instant mpg, power flow and avg mpg. I can post some pics if anyone would like.

Tim K 04-26-2007 11:12 AM

can you measure the dimensions of the nav unit itself (just the front of the unit (length x width)?? I'm wondering whether it could physically be swapped with the previous version in my '06 (whether it would work is another question)

cngrevolution 04-26-2007 04:40 PM

sure! its 7 1/2" wide 4 3/4" tall. thats the opening for the 2008 ford factory nav unit.

Mike M 04-26-2007 06:07 PM

New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

The FEH is good, just don't expect anything in the way of a tax break from the FEDS or California. I didn't get my Federal tax credit this year due to the Alternative Minimum Tax, and California offers NO incentives to FEH owners.

Brady 04-26-2007 08:04 PM

Mike, most people don't have your problem. Although the AMT is starting to affect more of the middle class, it's still generally for the well-to-do. I don't think you should make blanket statements like "don't expect anything in the way of a tax break".

Morocco, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new hybrid- you're going to love it!

AMB4 04-26-2007 08:25 PM

New Member New Ford 2008 Escape - Chicago

I don't mean to steal any thunder away from this thread, but I'm too excited to not make a post: after over 6 years with my 2 dr Explorer (which I love), I placed an order for an 08 FEH AWD earlier this week.

Probably the toughest call was FWD vs. AWD. The cost breakdown is noticeable: about a $1200-1400 price difference, plus the $800 difference in tax credit, plus any difference in fuel costs from one to the other, and it's over a $2000 gap. Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?

Anyways, I can't wait for the FEH to arrive! Black Pearl Slate w/ NAV. Already got a trip log book set-up to keep in the center console. Many thanks to everyone who provided counsel on a different thread regarding partner programs for X-Plan PINs - - Noticeable difference on price!

In general, the people who share their information - and opinions - on this site are the best. This resource lifts all the fog away from hybrids, and really must make it easier for people to get into one for themselves. Thanks!

TeeSter 04-27-2007 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brady (Post 122657)
Mike, most people don't have your problem. Although the AMT is starting to affect more of the middle class, it's still generally for the well-to-do. I don't think you should make blanket statements like "don't expect anything in the way of a tax break".

Morocco, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new hybrid- you're going to love it!

I agree, although it kind of has more to do with how many OTHER credits you are taking rather than actual income levels. Yes income level has a big effect but I'm guessing MOST people got nailed because they had alot of other credits and deductions, not because of their gross income.

Brady 04-27-2007 09:10 AM

Re: New Member New Ford 2008 Escape - Chicago

Originally Posted by AMB4 (Post 122658)
Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?

I struggled with the same decision, and since I'm in the area I thought I would post. Chicago winters have been so tame in recent years... seems like we only get one or two serious snowfalls each season. I might have been better off with the FWD if I was just buying for this area. But my parents live in the mountains of Colorado and since we've just given them a new grandson I'm sure there will be road trips.

I can tell you from the one heavy snow I drove in this last season that the AWD is phenomenal! I was driving through unplowed areas where the snow was up to the bottom of the doors and the FEH never lost a beat. You won't regret it!

wvujeb 04-27-2007 09:33 AM

Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?
I compared the two as well. To me, it wasn't worth the $2000+ difference. I don't drive on any roads that are that terrible. I figured I'll just get snow tires if I need to. I made it around (barely sometimes) with a FWD car with bald all-season tires this winter (didn't want to get new tires since I was getting an '08 MMH as soon as they came out), so I figured I didn't need the AWD.

TeeSter 04-27-2007 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by wvujeb (Post 122705)
I compared the two as well. To me, it wasn't worth the $2000+ difference. I don't drive on any roads that are that terrible. I figured I'll just get snow tires if I need to. I made it around (barely sometimes) with a FWD car with bald all-season tires this winter (didn't want to get new tires since I was getting an '08 MMH as soon as they came out), so I figured I didn't need the AWD.

Truth is people who live in a city/town really don't NEED AWD....If the city does a halfway decent job of plowing. It may be nice to have it but they don't really need it. I drove around Houghton, MI for 4 years, in a front wheel drive Plymouth Horizon. I never got stuck or even close to stuck. If you can get around in a town with 200"+ of snow per year in a front wheel drive Horizon....

Its nice to have for controllability on ice. I actually have the 4WD Escape (the drive system is the same... they just call it 4WD on the Escape and AWD on the Mariner for marketing reasons) and I'll admit I've never needed it.

mtberman 04-27-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 122717)
Truth is people who live in a city/town really don't NEED AWD....

This is SO true. Canadians don't buy AWD vehicles like Americans do. What does THAT say about real vs. perceived need? I like AWD, but I only really "need" it here in Denver a few times per year. As long as I don't venture too far.

Also, some markets just don't support 2WD SUVs. Buying 2WD here is unwise unless you plan to drive the wheels off it. Most people won't buy them, and dealers either won't take 2WD trades at any price or will offer about half the real value. They sometimes stock few 2WD Escapes, stripper models as price leaders, but there's almost no such thing as a 2WD Explorer, Expedition, 4Runner, etc around here.

gpsman1 04-28-2007 07:47 PM

I have a FWD 2005 FEH and it did great in the Denver winter to remember of '06-'07. I've even been off road on Jeep trails with mud and slush and it did fine. The scariest part for me was the different feel of going downhill on steep wet / snowy / muddy trails, since the car always tries to use regenerative brakes first. I felt a little out of control going downhill ( at 20 MPH ) but it was great going up.

Only one time have I used tire chains up front, and that was in a Wyoming ice storm that was blowing cars off the road sideways! But that was like an ice skating rink that day, and the road did close about 1 hour after I got onto it!

-John

TeeSter 04-28-2007 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 122865)
I have a FWD 2005 FEH and it did great in the Denver winter to remember of '06-'07. I've even been off road on Jeep trails with mud and slush and it did fine. The scariest part for me was the different feel of going downhill on steep wet / snowy / muddy trails, since the car always tries to use regenerative brakes first. I felt a little out of control going downhill ( at 20 MPH ) but it was great going up.
-John

Isn't that one of the times they recommend using "L"? If so were you using it? Did it seem to help or make things worse?

Jerry&Natalie 04-28-2007 08:35 PM

I drive an AWD and I love it. I drove a FWD as a tester and it understeered bad. The AWD corners like it's on rails. I hate FWD, never owned one, never will. There is a reason all the best cars ever developed have RWD or AWD, it simply works better.

gpsman1 04-28-2007 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie (Post 122869)
here is a reason all the best cars ever developed have RWD...

Yeah.... #1 It's cheaper. #2, it's easier.

Teester, yes. And no. L gear helps with slowing, but still is regen first, brake pads second.

TeeSter 04-29-2007 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie (Post 122869)
I drive an AWD and I love it. I drove a FWD as a tester and it understeered bad. The AWD corners like it's on rails. I hate FWD, never owned one, never will. There is a reason all the best cars ever developed have RWD or AWD, it simply works better.

Nothing wrong with FWD. I've driven them both. On ice I'd rather have a FWD all the way. The weight is over the drive wheels so I can pull myself out of problems. With a RWD when you loose it, you've got no way to recover. Everyone claims a FWD will go straight into a ditch on ice if you pull off the accelerator.... I've never been in the ditch and I've never even felt the effect described and I've been driving these things for 20 years. I've had the front end slide on me once and a slight bit of gas and no problem, pulled myself right around the corner. You just have to know how to drive them, there isn't any more danger to them.

The only issue with FWD would be the CV joints in my opinion.

WaltPA 04-30-2007 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 122717)
If the city does a halfway decent job of plowing.

That is a really big "if" around here.

My work is off of a 4 lane highway. It usually takes them 2 days to get around to plowing 2 of the 4 lanes, and about 10 days to get around to plowing the remaining 2 lanes.

At home, it takes them about 10 hours after it stops, to plow my street.

TeeSter 04-30-2007 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 123004)

My work is off of a 4 lane highway. It usually takes them 2 days to get around to plowing 2 of the 4 lanes, and about 10 days to get around to plowing the remaining 2 lanes.

Agreed... thats why I put the *IF* there :(

In Ann Arbor MI, Burlington VT, and Houghton MI, I've never had a problem except during the blizzards we've had in those times. Those, admittedly are smaller cities with less streets to plow.

wvujeb 04-30-2007 06:39 AM

Also, some markets just don't support 2WD SUVs. Buying 2WD here is unwise unless you plan to drive the wheels off it. Most people won't buy them, and dealers either won't take 2WD trades at any price or will offer about half the real value. They sometimes stock few 2WD Escapes, stripper models as price leaders, but there's almost no such thing as a 2WD Explorer, Expedition, 4Runner, etc around here.
Yeah, that's going to be my problem when I go to get rid of mine. Everyone around here buys 4WD. The dealerships only stock 4WD Escapes. I'm planning on keeping mine for a while. I'll worry about that problem when the time arrives.

PENNDOT sucks. My dad used to be a manager of a mobile home dealership. 2 days after a snow storm they tried to deliver a home from St. Clairsville, OH to Morgantown, WV. The roads were perfectly clear until they got I-79 S. The road was so bad, they had to turn around and go back.

gpsman1 04-30-2007 09:41 AM

The reverse is true in ( my parts ) of Colorado.

The main roads and highways had pretty much all lanes clear in hours after the big dump of last December. Getting out of your neighborhood was nearly impossible for days, and difficult for weeks.

The DAY AFTER a 20" snowfall in NE Colorado, it took me 2 hours to get out of my house. Once I hit the interstate, I had DRY PAVEMENT the whole way.... ( and very light traffic since no-one else could get out of thier homes! )

:shade:-John

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 123004)

queenfan 05-01-2007 07:04 AM

I just picked my 2008 FEH up Saturday, and I absolutely love it. I had to go a ways out of town to find one (I got the last FWD hybrid in the upper midwest) but it was worth it. 155 miles on it and I'm already getting 29.5 MPG! This might not sound like much to a bunch of seasoned pros, but the gas Escape I traded in was getting 19.5 on a good week. It's so much fun to drive, and I'm finding I'm driving more safely--obeying the speed limits, and not making as many lane changes in traffic because I don't care if I sit in rush hour; it won't hurt my wallet!

Pravus Prime 05-01-2007 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by queenfan (Post 123205)
I just picked my 2008 FEH up Saturday, and I absolutely love it. I had to go a ways out of town to find one (I got the last FWD hybrid in the upper midwest) but it was worth it. 155 miles on it and I'm already getting 29.5 MPG! This might not sound like much to a bunch of seasoned pros, but the gas Escape I traded in was getting 19.5 on a good week. It's so much fun to drive, and I'm finding I'm driving more safely--obeying the speed limits, and not making as many lane changes in traffic because I don't care if I sit in rush hour; it won't hurt my wallet!

Welcome to the club, and to GH. Don't be afraid to make your own thread in the Introductions forum if you'd like.

rb1 05-03-2007 02:04 PM

I just bought the '08 Mariner Hybrid 4x2, which has the same NAV/stereo system as the FEH -- and all six CDs are slot-loading and MP3 capable. The maps are on a 2nd drive hidden behind the nav screen. Actually it's pretty neat to see the entire fascia slide out for getting to the DVD.

rb1 05-08-2007 09:19 AM

PHIL

It's a single DVD loaded into a hidden slot behind the nav screen. The entire front panel slides out for access to the map dvd. The nav is touch screen. Pretty cool nav system.

rb1 05-08-2007 09:22 AM

Morocco: Congratulations! I just bought a '08 MMH myself about a week back. Absolutely love it so far. Getting 31+ mpg on the dealer-bought tank of gas. Can you imagine -- I have still never been to the gas station yet! Har har...

DavidH 05-08-2007 03:55 PM

I have a 2008 Escape, and I think I am missing part of the document package. The only thing I have is the owner's manual. Are there supplements? A service book? Etc?

AZMerf 05-09-2007 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Morocco (Post 116206)
Just bought my 2008 Escape on Thursday. The dealers here in Southern California have a few each, and are getting more.

They're offering incentives (3000, low apr loans) on the 2007s but I wanted to drive (and ended up buying) a 2008 after reading auto journalist Dan Neil's review of the 2008 a couple of months ago in the LA Times.

Had a good dealership experience, and so far the car is great. Base model, without the fancy hybrid/nav package. I did get roof cross bars (why Ford gives you the ourboard rails standard but makes the cross bars an option, I don't get) and a cargo liner. Oh and a Lojack, because my insurance basically paid for it.

I'll keep the board posted. Pun intended.

M

We looked at the 2008 and thought it was nice. However, we read that there were only cosmetic changes so we opted to save the $3K and got the 2007. We love our and wonder why Ford can't build all their cars like this.