No Charging in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: No Charging in Reverse

I think you are missing the point.

The M/G's can generate power rotating in either direction.

Forward or reverse is irrelevant.

Reverse propultion is "electric only" since there is no "reverse gear" and the ICE cannot spin in reverse.

However, if the ICE is on ( spinning "forward" if you will ) and the traction motor is spinning ( reverse, directly tied to the wheels ) then the generator will be turning. As engine rpm increases, the generator rpm must increase, if wheel speed remains constant. So the engine is indeed spinning the generator, when the car is rolling in reverse.

If the generator is spinning while the car is moving in reverse, it definately can, and does produce power.... just not into the battery. The power is sent to the traction motor only.

It was a clear "choice" not a necessity.

When my battery hit 33%, in reverse it was like a load was removed from the engine ( load must come from the generator ) so the generator quit putting resistance to the ICE and the ICE RPM raced up like crazy, even with my foot on the brake... like the car was in simulated "neutral". ( There is no physical way to put the car in "neutral" the gears of the transmission are always in mesh. )

If I push the gas pedal hard in reverse, the engine will rev, and GENERATE power to move the car in reverse.

My point is, if it can send power to the traction motor in reverse, why not send power to the battery too?! Or was this a fluke? Try it and see, those of you with a ScanGauge... replicate the experiment... Put the car in R for a long time and see what your battery SOC does.