Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   One Year anniversary! (long) (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/one-year-anniversary-long-15153/)

08FEH 09-09-2007 05:23 AM

Re: One Year anniversary! (long)

Instead of trying to figure how long it will take to "recoup" the extra money you pay for a hybrid, consider that if you buy a vehicle that uses more fuel, you are simply shifting your money from your vehicle purchase to oil dependency.

simple enough math, pay extra for the vehicle, or pay the extra to foreign oil dependency.

08FEH

mtberman 09-09-2007 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brady (Post 141706)
Believe me, there have been many debates about the financials of hybrids and the "apples to apples" comparisons of hybrids and their regular gas counterparts. For me it wasn't just about the money. Becoming a father really changed my perspective on a lot of things. Suddenly the long term future is more important than the present. I don't want my son to be sent to some war in a distant corner of the Earth to fight for oil. I don't want my grandkids to get those yellow sweat deposits on their undershirts from global warming! :shade:

This is true for a lot of us. The reasons I bought a Prius in 2004 and the reasons I bought a FEH are more of a perspective thing, believing that I'm doing the "right" thing, that I'm being part of the solution, blah blah blah.

I think most of us are very much aware that we would be using less gas in an Aveo, and that a TDI Golf burns less diesel than a FEH burns gas. And most of us are also not planning on ever saving enough in fuel to pay for it.

We all could have paid 1/3 the price and got a late model regular SUV.

Also, I'm not to proud to admit that I really wanted a FEH. Just wanted it, and could afford it, so I got one.

Mark E Smith 09-09-2007 08:19 AM

Also, I'm not to proud to admit that I really wanted a FEH. Just wanted it, and could afford it, so I got one.
Why would you not be proud? You have worked hard and instead of buying yourself a H2 Hummer or F350 which you could feed at the expense of something else. You bought something neat, something that allows you to keep your wealth long after the new has worn off. In the long run you will be proven wise.

Jerry&Natalie 09-09-2007 03:25 PM

You sold a Holden/Goat? ****. Those are rare and in huge demand. Should have kept it and sold it down the road. I brokered one for a good friend of mine. We bought it and had several offers within a few days. They are only gonna appreciate. Reminds me of my GNX I sold during my divorce, I still kick myself but it was easier to sell it than a kidney at the time.

mtberman 09-09-2007 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith (Post 142362)
Why would you not be proud? You have worked hard and instead of buying yourself a H2 Hummer or F350 which you could feed at the expense of something else. You bought something neat, something that allows you to keep your wealth long after the new has worn off. In the long run you will be proven wise.

You make a good point.

What I meant to say is I am not too proud to admit that my intentions were not 100% noble. I just wanted it. It's sort of a big toy in some ways.

pb5927317 09-10-2007 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by pdqgp (Post 141673)
Well you compare an 07 Prius at roughly $23k vs say a Nissan Versa at $14,800 or even the nicer sentra at $17,000 the difference in price alone is pretty steep.

Looking at a Sentra 2.0S with some really nice features, the difference in avg. MPG is 28 vs 46mpg overall average. That equates to about $630 per year higher costs for the Sentra at $3gal. That's a long time of driving to make up the difference and initial costs the Prius brings. Between 8-10 years at 15k per year in my book. Now I may not keep this next car past say 5-6 years so resale will come into play....but even at that point, it will likely be a wash and I won't bank a decision on what if's regarding resale....just a consideration though.

I also don't find maintenance costs that much really. Brakes are cheap and really, most of the new cars are maint. free. Oil life is roughly 7,500-10,000 on most cars nowadays. I've always gone a min. 7,500 miles even back to my first car, a 1983 Hurst Olds that is still running fine :shade:

Don't get me wrong, I do like cars, and I like the Prius as it is a little different/unique still. I like it a little better than the Civic Hybrid so far. However, I will always have a toy car for show. This is going to be a Daily Driver and I'm just trying to weigh the differences.

Looking at the Ford Escapes based on the new 08 EPA ratings, there's about 7mpg difference in AWD models. that's about $580/yr difference. with roughly a $4,400 difference in price between the Hybrid AWD and the XLS AWD I looked at today. Again, about 7.5 years to break even on the two.

Decisions......hmmmm.....at least this part is fun.

If you purchase the vehicle on x-plan, and are elegible to get the full tax credit, it does pay off in about 2 years.

I am trying to find out if the 2009's are coming out in the beggining of the year. Might just be worth the wait.

Hybrid_SUV 09-10-2007 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by pb5927317 (Post 142460)
If you purchase the vehicle on x-plan, and are elegible to get the full tax credit, it does pay off in about 2 years.

I am trying to find out if the 2009's are coming out in the beggining of the year. Might just be worth the wait.

Don't know anything for sure...but I don't think the 2009s will be out until fall of 2008. That is the usual launch time for new vehicles.

The 2008s just came out extremely early (almost 6 months) after a truncated 2007 run due to the new design. :lightbulb

Probably more appropriate to call them 2007 1/2 model year. :)

Nate

PS--Most of the 2008s (non Escape) are just now hitting the streets in the next few months!

GeekGal 09-11-2007 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 142305)
Nice original post Brady.

I just read a report that says something like 85% of all hybrid sales are either purchased by the female in the family, or the decision to purchase a hybrid was strongly influenced by the female in the family. One reason stated was, that women tend to think about "what will this do for my children" when most men think "how much gas/money will this save me".

I just found that interesting, a bit shocking, but probably true.
At the time, I had no female in my life, so made the decision 100% on my own.
:shade:-John

It's certainly true in my household's case, though I missed out on posting my one year anniversary post (would have been due back in March of this year...when I was busy having my now-six month old daughter.)

As a woman in my early 30's, I was looking for a safer, cleaner, roomy but fuel efficient vehicle, and one that would be child-friendly even though at the time we weren't yet pregnant. The vehicle needed to get AT LEAST as good gas mileage as I'd come to expect (30-31 MPG, 1992 Toyota Corolla, which my hybrid replaced.)

I don't like to think I follow typical market research types' presumptions, but in this case they were right on. The fact that I could combine my laundry list of needs (see previous paragraph) while supporting a new technology (I am a geek, after all), if only by speaking with my dollars, and send the message that we need to move to alternative means of transportation to use and pollute less in our daily lives, so much the better. My decision to get a hybrid SUV vs. a sedan is less easy to explain, except to say it suits my lifestyle and vehicle usage better--certainly, pre-kiddo (lots of cargo haulin' with the rear seats down; hard to do that with a child seat mounted these days).

My husband drives a polluting F-150 Supercrew 4x4 pickup that almost never sees 4x4 use (though it did it our younger and crazier days...though probably still not enough to justify its cost and impact.) Now that we have had a hybrid in the family for roughly a year and a half, he's sold on another hybrid at some point when it's time to part with the pickup.

I, too, haven't convinced or inspired anyone in my friends or family to get a hybrid. In fact, it's a bit comical when I visit my family home (my parents') -- Mom's Chevy Camaro with her over-loud muffler; Dad's Ford Mustang GT and my brother's standard issue Ford Mustang. Eek!

Brady 09-11-2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie (Post 142402)
You sold a Holden/Goat? ****. Those are rare and in huge demand. Should have kept it and sold it down the road.

They're not very rare around here. Not entirely common either, but certainly not much demand. It was a nice ride... I had a more powerful car prior to that, but that GTO had torque to the moon! I couldn't afford to keep it and get an FEH.

Jerry&Natalie 09-13-2007 04:44 AM

Brady,

Here's the one we did. Almost "Holden spec"

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/hsaini/PICS/GTO/