Ordered our 09 FEH and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Default Re: Ordered our 09 FEH and have a few questions

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary-
I was looking at your signature, which shows 715 miles to empty and 30.4 MPG. This doesn't add up, unless you have a 23 gallon tank?

I got 30.6 on my last tank, and my distance to empty is around 485.

What is the story? Is there a larger tank on the 2005-2007 model?
My tank is the same size as all the FEH's, 15 gallons. The day I took that picture, I had a number of tanks which I exceeded over 50mpg. When I filled up on that tank and reset the trip OD, my MTE was 745. When I got home I got the camera and took the picture, my trip OD said I had put 30.4 miles on the FEH and I had a MTE of 715. If I had 15 gallons in the tank, at 0 MTE I would have use 13.7 gallons with 1.3 gallons remaining. If you take 745 MTE and divide it by 13.7 gallons, you get a 54.4mpg tank average. My best tank average before that fill was a little over 53mpg. The OEM computer was estimating I was going to average 54.4mpg based on prior mileage before the fill.

When I took that picture I was expecting to get higher MTE readings in the future, but the heat of the summer had set in and the Aux battery A/C started to run the compressor all the time. After about 25,000 miles on my FEH I started noticing a slow decrease in the HV battery efficiency. I also had some problems with some relays that had to be replaced that cause my KAM to reset the Long Term Fuel Maps. Now Florida has passed a law requiring E-10 (ethanol) to be in all gas in the State. Most likely I will never see that high of a MTE again in my '05 FEH unless I move to a place with rolling hills.

With the new improvements in the '09 FWD FEH, I'm hoping to get back to 50mpg tanks after break-in, even with ethanol.

GaryG

Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Now Florida has passed a law requiring E-10 (ethanol) to be in all gas in the State. Most likely I will never see that high of a MTE again in my '05 FEH unless I move to a place with rolling hills.

With the new improvements in the '09 FWD FEH, I'm hoping to get back to 50mpg tanks after break-in, even with ethanol.

GaryG
I may have spoke to soon! A new simple and safe hypermiling technique has been discovered for slower driving by Dan at CleanMPG.com.

GaryG

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Hi Gary

You're the man who took my FEH to >60mpg at the MPG Challenge last summer, & that was on E-10 gas I *know* once your FEH is used to sipping E-10, you'll get your 50mpg tanks back - I finally topped 50mpg on a tank the month *before* I learned Dan's DGE technique, & I'm working on another one now

Most likely I will never see that high of a MTE again in my '05 FEH unless I move to a place with rolling hills.

GaryG
You could always move to WI (now that you're having to deal with E-10 anyway)

Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

GaryG, can you put in a link to Dan's new technique? He's rather prolific on that site and I don't have time to search through his post.

TIA.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
GaryG, can you put in a link to Dan's new technique? He's rather prolific on that site and I don't have time to search through his post.

TIA.
Sure can My Part, post 21.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...t=12811&page=3

Enjoy folks!

GaryG

Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart

TIA.
Unfortunately its underlying strategy of operating in neutral is illegal in most states (for those who care about what you are doing is legal or not).

Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieKatz
Hi Gary

You're the man who took my FEH to >60mpg at the MPG Challenge last summer, & that was on E-10 gas I *know* once your FEH is used to sipping E-10, you'll get your 50mpg tanks back - I finally topped 50mpg on a tank the month *before* I learned Dan's DGE technique, & I'm working on another one now

You could always move to WI (now that you're having to deal with E-10 anyway)
Hi Debbie

It seems there is very little adjustment in the long term fuel maps with E-10. I'm on my 5th tank and I see nothing but bad with ethanol and the FEH Atkinson cycle. No question now that your rolling hills was what helped me with E-10 in the MPG Challenge. I've had a big advantage with straight gas here in Florida, but flat roads and E-10 are a brutal on my mileage now. Dan's technique helps overcome the loss of energy by maintaining a constant speed on flat roads.

Good luck in the MPG Challenge this year Debbie and I want you to beat my record with Dan's new technique and the rest of your skills. The '09 FEH/MMH should be hard to beat next year, but I have no plans to drive all the way to Madison during Hurricane season.

GaryG

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Unfortunately its underlying strategy of operating in neutral is illegal in most states (for those who care about what you are doing is legal or not).
Civil Disobediance Gator.... its what this country was founded on. We can't change washington b/c we can't afford big lobbying firms to take Congress out to lunch or send the on vacations...err I mean speaking engagments. lol Next best thing we can do is drop it in neutral and save some ca$h.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Well Gator, I live on the other side of the coast of Florida and want to know the law that you speak of. When was it adopted and why? Do you think it may have been recommended because it was copied from a State that had serious mountains when cars and trucks had poor braking problems and transmissions back in the days? I would take my chances in court any day a dumb cop or FHP tried to enforce that law.

The truth is we have a serious economic problem caused by big oil. What is your solution? My solution is to help people survive this rip off of the American public by Big Oil.

GaryG

Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

The truth is we have a serious economic problem caused by big oil. What is your solution? My solution is to help people survive this rip off of the American public by Big Oil.
GaryG
Now Gary, you know we can't just blame this on Big Oil or little Bush. Dont forget Congress for opening up Crude Oil commodity trading to the public when it was originally designed to protect airlines and major public transportation methods from fluxuating fuel prices, and lobyists, and partisan bickering across the isle, and the Big 3 in Detroit, and every insane tree hugging bunny lover who feels that "their" renewable energy idea is the "only" way to go, me included. Oh, and we have to blame my father-in-law because...well, it just feels right.
I could go on and on and on but......

Quick Reply: Ordered our 09 FEH and have a few questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands