Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Radiator blocking and SAFE temperatures! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/radiator-blocking-safe-temperatures-20265/)

TeeSter 11-12-2008 07:21 AM

Radiator blocking and SAFE temperatures!

Okay,

Now that I have a radiator block (Cloud Rider Grill--pricey but nice looking).

What temps should I montor on my ScanGuage II?
--right now I'm watching Fwt and MeC (which I think is the water temp in degrees F and the Motor Electronics Coolant temp in degrees C), am I missing anything essential?

What is SAFE for those temperatures?
--does anyone have a tech manual with numbers for it?

Billyk 11-12-2008 02:01 PM

Re: Radiator blocking and SAFE temperatures!

The sticky scanguage thread will provide "some" information for you. 183-185 F is a usual FwT value for me under normal conditions.

TeeSter 11-12-2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk (Post 191094)
The sticky scanguage thread will provide "some" information for you. 183-185 F is a usual FwT value for me under normal conditions.

Thats about what I expect too... I'm frankly a bit more concerned about MeC than anything though. I'll check the thread you mention.

gpsman1 11-13-2008 04:14 AM

When my 2005 was new, the water temp was about 183-184 all the time.
Now, it runs more like 186 to 188 all the time with no block.

Not sure why the change.

FYI, there is no water temperature probe.
Water temp is inferred from the CHT, cylinder head temperature.

DebbieKatz 11-13-2008 07:13 AM

I see anywhere between 171F & ~185F, summer, winter, uphill, downhill or on the flat roads.

TeeSter 11-13-2008 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 191146)
When my 2005 was new, the water temp was about 183-184 all the time.
Now, it runs more like 186 to 188 all the time with no block.

Not sure why the change.

FYI, there is no water temperature probe.
Water temp is inferred from the CHT, cylinder head temperature.

Thats not too disturbing... I'm much more worried about the MeC number though (Motor electronics Coolant Temp). Its a seperate system from the Fwt number so its different and its supposed to be a lower temp for the electronics.

Since that loop isn't hooked to the heater core, I'd think in the winter its likely to heat up more with the radiator blocked. How hot can those electronics go? MeC is one of the XGUAGES by the way. Mco and Gco too if they are cooled by the same reservoir.

gpsman1 11-14-2008 03:49 AM

Motor Coil and Gen Coil can reach 200-220'C before a MIL lamp lights.
That's like 400'F !!!

I don't know how hot the M/E coolent temp can get, but I'm very sure you won't have a problem.

travelover 11-14-2008 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 191163)
........ Its a separate system from the Fwt number so its different and its supposed to be a lower temp for the electronics...............

I don't see how the electronics and engine coolant can be too greatly different in temperature. Aren't they all using the same coolant, recirculating through the same radiator?

Additionally, doesn't this system go into a limp home mode if the coolant temperature is excessive? My understanding is that the engine can cool itself by selective shutting off fuel to cylinders and using air pumped through the cylinders to provide temporary emergency cooling.

TeeSter 11-14-2008 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 191233)
I don't see how the electronics and engine coolant can be too greatly different in temperature. Aren't they all using the same coolant, recirculating through the same radiator?

Additionally, doesn't this system go into a limp home mode if the coolant temperature is excessive? My understanding is that the engine can cool itself by selective shutting off fuel to cylinders and using air pumped through the cylinders to provide temporary emergency cooling.

Nope... they are completely independent systems. Pop the hood, you'll find two reservoirs for antifreeze coolant.

TeeSter 11-14-2008 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 191227)
Motor Coil and Gen Coil can reach 200-220'C before a MIL lamp lights.
That's like 400'F !!!

I don't know how hot the M/E coolent temp can get, but I'm very sure you won't have a problem.

M/E coolant seems to run around 70-80F (Scanguages docs seem to imply these are all in F not C, or at leas the M/E coolant number is). Anyway... while blocked that number was 100F... Thats pretty significant if its C not too bad if its F