Rear Battery Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Battery Filter

Originally Posted by gpsman1
If you like K&N products, and want a rear filter that you can wash & reuse... then have I got a tip for you.durable.
For $40 you can have a life-time filter....
Get it, and forget about it...
I'm not a fan of K&N filters, nor am I a fan of having to buy something that has to be modified to fit correctly. In the event of a warranty claim I think you would have a tough arguement that the part was a suitable replacement for the OEM part. Magnusson-Moss probably wouldn't apply since the part was not sold as being appropriate to the application - unlike say an aftermarket Purolator filter which is being sold specifically for that application. The prohibitionon tie-in sale isn't applicable in this case any more than if you used a sock as a filter.

I'll take some chances but I won't Rube Goldberg it. I'll pay the $15-$20 a year for the right part.

Found a place online today that has the OEM filter for $15 and ships for 11% of the total. Think I'll order some.

Also, found a large volume dealer near me that had a bunch of the filter elements with the big o-ring for $8.00. Bought a bunch.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:32 PM

I found this site on another board that I belong to. Their prices are great and shipping charges much more reasonable. They stock the oil filter kit (with the o-rings) and the battery filters and I'm sure many other parts.

Check them out. Nothing in it for me, just passing along a good deal.

www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com

Ray

Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just ordered the K&N for $28.12 with FREE SHIPPING.
http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/4.../KNF+YA-1602-U

Incidentally... My FEH had steadily been acting up with the ICE not turning off at stop lights over the past few months. I got a tip from another user on this site that the filter being dirty can cause this problem. Sure enough, it was the problem. I pulled it out of there and it was filthy. Just as a test, I ran without the filter for one drive and the problem immediately went away with the ICE turning off as it normally should at every stop. The K&N will pay for itself quickly because the filter I'm replacing is not that old. I would guess that to keep the air moving as it should (in my area) I would need to replace it every 6 months or so.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
Just ordered the K&N for $28.12 with FREE SHIPPING.
http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/4.../KNF+YA-1602-U
That's a good price, cheaper than eBay.

What's involved in servicing the K&N?
Any chance that oil could get from the filter and onto the battery or electronics?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by econoline

Any chance that oil could get from the filter and onto the battery or electronics?
Amazon sells a model (not K&N} for $17:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Amazon sells a model (not K&N} for $17:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
The point of buying the K&N is that it can be cleaned and never needs to be replaced. The one you're quoting is just like the original, which is fine but you can buy the Motorcraft original for about $12 (plus shipping) at Rockauto.

The K&N will likely flow better even when it's dirty than the original filter. Servicing (cleaning) instructions can be found on their web site.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline

Good question I suppose... There's a chance that if the oil were applied too liberally, it could drip or spatter into the vent system. If so, I don't think it would be much of an issue other than collecting any dust that might get through. I'm going to install this. I'll publish a guide if all goes well.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM

After thinking about the oiled filter mentioned, I think it's a bad idea. There will be a trace amount of oil carried into the battery. Over time this will build up to a detectable level.

For a filter feeding an engine, this is irrelevant. For one feeding your battery... if you keep your FEH for the long haul... I wouldn't use this filter.

Just my 2¢...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for your $.02... can't find that cent symbol on my keyboard! I'll be installing the filter as soon as it arrives. I'll go easy on the oil. I have a spray can of K&N oil. It's just a light film on the external facing side. I'm sure it will be just fine but I know you're worried for me so I'll check it after a couple of days to make sure it's not slinging oil all over my battery vent ducting OK? :-)

Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Oh, it's so nice to know someone's out there worrying about whether I'm worrying. Suffice it to say that I don't worry about your car. We're all big boys out here and are entitled to do what they wish with their cars...

The only worrying should be done by K&N since if they lose a liability case (you know how nasty those ATLA lawyers can be...) they'll need to have someone worrying for them...

Of course the probability of that kind of failure mode is so remote...

Quick Reply: Rear Battery Filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands