"Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Originally Posted by GaryG
For those of you that think your vehicle PCM was reflashed and it runs better, this would require much more than using later versions of programming. Ford would have needed to redesign a special program to work with the as built hardware on your vehicle. The dealerships can locate the correct as built programming and download into a new PCM, but most of the time they retrieve the programming from your existing PCM and reflash the working side of your PCM or a new PCM if needed. This is what the manual states and when I had my PCM reflashed a year ago, this is what the tech did to my FEH. I was with him when he did the work.

Making a change and reflashing the Traction Battery Control Module however is much different. New programming could improve battery operation and not effect other hardware or software in the FEH/MMH. This may be what is happening with the improvements you're seeing.

At any rate, my FEH is out of the 3 years 36,000 mile warranty, so I'll soon find out if this is part of the problem or what.

GaryG
A couple of generic questions, I'm probably totally off here.
1) Do the eariler FEH's have the same Extended Hybrid warenty the 08's have (8yr/100k)?
2) I'm no techie, don't know much about the car other tan I turn a key and go. But I thought the 08's had the same hardware as 05-07's. So with that thinking, why couldn't they flash an upgrade to the newer 08 software improvements?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
1) Do the eariler FEH's have the same Extended Hybrid warenty the 08's have (8yr/100k)?
2) I'm no techie, don't know much about the car other tan I turn a key and go. But I thought the 08's had the same hardware as 05-07's. So with that thinking, why couldn't they flash an upgrade to the newer 08 software improvements?

The '08's have different firmware than the '05-'07's due to the redesign. Several systems were modified just as the exterior was. Now, as to compatibility, no one knows for sure if the '05-'07's could use the new firmware or not.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 09-23-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 AM
It is easy being green

Well I am uploading some of the pics (7) that I took of the "recall" and he only reflashed the BCM per the instructions from Ford. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looking at the photos (great job by the way) makes me wonder why the new harness can't be installed without taking the battery out of the car.

I'm sure there is a reason but can't see it from the photos.

I guess this answers the question as to whether the battery can be opened or not.....

Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

how do i see the pictures, i dont see them in the thread.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
It is easy being green

Originally Posted by denverjay
Looking at the photos (great job by the way) makes me wonder why the new harness can't be installed without taking the battery out of the car.

I'm sure there is a reason but can't see it from the photos.

There are some screws that need to be reomoved on the side of the battery pack as well that can not be reached with out removing it from the car.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
how do i see the pictures, i dont see them in the thread.
Took me a bit to find these too!
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/browseimages.php?c=8

If you go to greenhybrid.com (click on the top left logo) on the left side there is a link for Car Photos.

From there click on the Ford Escape Hybrid (link above) & you can view the images!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Looks like I'm going to have my FEH towed to the dealership tomorrow. My wife called me Sat. afternoon and said my FEH was running strange and she seen a warning light. She made it back to the driveway and shut it off.

When I got home and checked it out, it only would idle at 785rpm's for a minute and the message center said "Service Emissions System" and then switch to "Stop Safely Now" then die. The SG11 reported two codes: CO900 which is "Device Voltage High EBCM (electronic brake control module) and the other was U2500 (CAN) "Lack of Acknowledgment".

Was going to bring it in for the battery work anyway, but I now wonder if it's part of the problem. Kermitcar said the battery needed to be opened up to change the resistor in the power unit, located in the battery module. Everything I've read in the manuals state the battery can only be reflashed and not repaired. Ford must have changed their minds because of cost of replacement. Makes me wonder how this will effect seals and contamination problems.

For those of you that think your vehicle PCM was reflashed and it runs better, this would require much more than using later versions of programming. Ford would have needed to redesign a special program to work with the as built hardware on your vehicle. The dealerships can locate the correct as built programming and download into a new PCM, but most of the time they retrieve the programming from your existing PCM and reflash the working side of your PCM or a new PCM if needed. This is what the manual states and when I had my PCM reflashed a year ago, this is what the tech did to my FEH. I was with him when he did the work.

Making a change and reflashing the Traction Battery Control Module however is much different. New programming could improve battery operation and not effect other hardware or software in the FEH/MMH. This may be what is happening with the improvements you're seeing.

At any rate, my FEH is out of the 3 years 36,000 mile warranty, so I'll soon find out if this is part of the problem or what.

GaryG
Similar thing happen to me this past Friday, as I was headed - guess where... to my recall appt at Ford -LOL! Had to be towed to dealer. I have the 2006 FEH w/about 27k miles. The "service soon" indicator came on - since I had just had the FEH serviced, I thought they forgot to reset. But then the car crawled to about 40 miles per hour and it wouldn't go passed that. Then it shuddered and the "service emission system" light came- and that was all she wrote.

Talked to the tech a few minutes ago and he "thinks" it may be related to the recall, which they are working on right now.

Jose

Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
Yes, all the FEH/MMH have at least the 8yr/100K hybrid system warranty and the greens States like CA have 10yr/150K.

By hardware and software, I meant systems like Key coded security the '05 doesn't have, and other upgrades or changes that were made when your vehicle was built. The A/C went from manual to Auto which the PCM must be programmed for. Changes in programming to the Transmission Control Module or Battery Control Module may require changes in the PCM programming. Changes to the use of different sensor also come to mind also. This is all a reason for "As Built" programming to reflash Modules in your vehicle.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 09-24-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jcabrera
Similar thing happen to me this past Friday, as I was headed - guess where... to my recall appt at Ford -LOL! Had to be towed to dealer. I have the 2006 FEH w/about 27k miles. The "service soon" indicator came on - since I had just had the FEH serviced, I thought they forgot to reset. But then the car crawled to about 40 miles per hour and it wouldn't go passed that. Then it shuddered and the "service emission system" light came- and that was all she wrote.

Talked to the tech a few minutes ago and he "thinks" it may be related to the recall, which they are working on right now.

Jose
Jose, very interesting! I just talk to my Service Rep at 4:30pm and she said they are in contact with Ford with my problem. She wouldn't give me the final conclusion, but their tech thinks my HV battery is the problem. This may be why Ford is jumping on the repair to prevent them from replacing the HV battery in the tens of thousands of FEH/MMH built.

GaryG

Quick Reply: "Recall" on 2005 - 2007 FEH and 2006 - 2007 MMH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands