Scangauge on Steroids!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM
HEV's are your friend
Default Scangauge on Steroids!

I have been lurking to buy a scangauge for some time, really want to try to find one used to save on cost when I ran accross this baby:

http://www.dashhawk.com/

While it is not as compact as the scangauge, it seems to at least look flashier!

Figured I would throw it out there for anyone who has the $$$ and likes toys

Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scangauge on Steroids!

Originally Posted by EOppie
I have been lurking to buy a scangauge for some time, really want to try to find one used to save on cost when I ran accross this baby:

http://www.dashhawk.com/

While it is not as compact as the scangauge, it seems to at least look flashier!

Figured I would throw it out there for anyone who has the $$$ and likes toys
Someday I might buy something since I did not get the NAV/Hybrid monitor system in mine. But does scangauge monitor fuel and/or mpg somehow, and does this one as well?

I did find this amusing in the FAQ:
Dodge communication errors:
  1. Break or cut off PIN 13 (circled in Red). A small needle-nose pliers or side cutter works well for this. Be certain to remove the correct pin and use care to avoid damage to adjacent pins. Remove the pin as close to the body of the connector as possible to ensure that it cannot make contact when plugged into the vehicle.
  2. Alternately, you can request a pre-modified cable from customer service
OK, let me break something off in my new car that the mechanic might need to diagnose a problem so I can play with my new toy!

I also read it can record for like 5-10 mins. I think I read Scangauge can be used to determine if the kids were out hot rodding the night before, is that right?
See this is where I get to convince the wife we need another "toy" If I can make it seem like it's doing something good for everyone! "Well honey not only will it help us tweak our driving habits even more to get maybe another mpg or 2, buy in 7 year when the kids start driving we can tell how fast they were going!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM

If that thing would report fuel economy (instant and average) and HV Battery level I'd seriously consider getting one and dumping the factory NAV. I like that you can modify the display to show 1, 2, 4, 6, different figures as well a the ability to do a bar graph display. I'd love to have one screen with instant and average fuel economy with the HV battery display as a bar graph on another.

It would be nice to use one of the "alerts" to notify me that I was approaching a low battery charge so that I could either get into neutral or shift to L to get some regen.

Last edited by Tim K; 07-17-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I did find this amusing in the FAQ:
[/b][/list]OK, let me break something off in my new car that the mechanic might need to diagnose a problem so I can play with my new toy!
The way I read it you modify the cable, not the car.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Default Re: Retrieving Hv battery SOC and voltage from CAN

This is part of a post from a different forum. This is the weblink address: http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/add...nav-t1551.html

This is the interesting part of this post:

In the process of doing this swap I learned that you can retrieve the HV battery SOC and voltage from the CAN using the SC, but it is somewhat cumbersome and doesn't always work if there are other requests on the CAN. At any rate, I think now that it would be possible to make a circuit board to take the ACP battery info and make a battery output meter. This will take significant time and effort, though, and is not high on my list now.

This is a post in this thread from GaryG on this matter:

About a year ago after talking to Ron at Scangauge, I posted this information about going though the Audio Control Protocol (ACP) on GH. The data supplied from the Controller Area Network (CAN) is translated into messages into audio control protocol messages. These messages are used by the Navi to calculate the high voltage power flow and fuel economy screens. The program to convert these messages has not been duplicated to my knowledge. Note: this information was also discussed in GH about a year ago--via GaryG.

Logic suggests it is possible to "create" a device that can show the HV battery SOC. Like many other hybrid users, I would purchase a device like this (at reasonable cost) opposed to buying the Ford Navigation/Hybrid display headunit.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
The way I read it you modify the cable, not the car.
You are correct, I just didn't read the whole thing. It was under Dodge, who buys those anyways?!!?

Pin 13 must be removed from the OBDII port of the DashHawk cable.
So BillyK, neither of these devices will give the numbers you mention? instant/average mpg & battery charge level? It's sad you have to toss another $2k to get these reading on a display. I never would use a GPS in mine as I fly anywhere I need to go, and I have a garmin to take w/me when I do.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, you can retrieve all kinds of info for the FEH from a scanguage2. I have spent untold hours sending literally thousands of commands with my SC2 and logging the responses, if any. So far I have identified more than 100 commands from various modes and PIDs that elicit a response from the FEH. Data format and scaling, and module ID has been very difficult to quantify, and Ron at LL couldn't get back to me whenever I called. Now that I see he is presenting at HybridFest on the subject of adding vehicle-specific guages to the SC2, I understand. I'm sure he was too busy working on his presentation for HF. I expect that all the info I discovered while re-inventing the wheel will become public knowledge this weekend..........

Last edited by DesertDog; 07-24-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Yes, you can retrieve all kinds of info for the FEH from a scanguage2. I have spent untold hours sending literally thousands of commands with my SC2 and logging the responses, if any. So far I have identified more than 100 commands from various modes and PIDs that elicit a response from the FEH. Data format and scaling, and module ID has been very difficult to quantify, and Ron at LL was absolutely no help whatsoever. Now that I see he is presenting at HybridFest on the subject of adding vehicle-specific guages to the SC2, I understand. I'm sure he didn't want anyone stealing his thunder at HF. I expect that all the info I discovered while re-inventing the wheel will become public knowledge this weekend..........
You have the spirit of America; hard work and trying to make "things" better. I look forward to learning more about your exploration.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Thanks for posting info on the DashHawk.
After reading the ENTIRE user manual, it is a tottally different beast than the Scanguage. ( I own a Scanguage. )

One device does not compete with the other, and one is not better than the other. They are used for different purposes. One is a "blender" and one is a "toaster".

The DashHawk is mostly for monitoring the ENGINE.
The DashHawk is for mechanics who tweak / modify the engine.
The DashHawk has a few more engine data displays, but ZERO trip monitors.
The DashHawk is not really handy for daily driving.
You will use it to learn a few things, then put it on the shelf.
The data logger sounds nice, but only holds 90 seconds to 5 minutes of data, depending on car manufacturer, and what you are doing with it.
You cannot extend this memory, and you cannot use a laptop when the ignition is "on". You can only download data to a PC after a trip.
The DashHawk is not for monitoring fuel economy ( MPG ).
It is helpful for "fixing" a broken engine.

The ScanGuage is designed to be used daily, on every drive.
The ScanGuage is useful to monitor your trip, daily, weekly, and tank MPG.
The ScanGuage is a trip computer.
The ScanGuage displays 90% of what the DashHawk does.
Most of the "extra" DashHawk features will never be used by 99.9% of the population. The ScanGuage is half the price. The SG has a "valet" mode like the DH, and I think it even records more than the DH.
The SG lacks the "3-stage alarm modes" which would be nice to have.
Since you need 140'F to enable EV, you could set stage 1 alarm (yellow) on a DashHawk to water temp. = 140. You could set stage 2 alarm (orange) to = 185 which is a "normal" fully warmed up engine. You could set stage 3 alarm ( red ) to = 240, when you might start to risk boil over. I admit, this is a cool feature of the DH, and you can have FIVE SETS of alarms ( low voltage, high RPM, water temperature, etc. ) at the same time! Very cool.
But I'm not sure it is worth $299 and have zero fuel economy monitoring... which boggles my mind why it doesn't have that, but I guess the market is for mechanics, and mechanics usually aren't concerned with MPG.

So two very different beasts, with different purposes.
Since you bought a Hybrid ( probably ) and are reading GREENHYBRID.com, the ScanGuage is likely the best choice for you.
Hope that helps anyone trying to decide which to buy.

-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 07-18-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 AM
HEV's are your friend

Thanks John! I always appreciate when someone can read through everything for us lay-people

Quick Reply: Scangauge on Steroids!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands