Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Originally Posted by GaryG
The '10 FEH still has a battery filter, but it's now located between the cabin and not an outside vent Steve is talking about.

GaryG
Are you saying that it doesn't have the "blend door" that talked about so much here? The one that causes the DTC B1239 which the SG-II can read using a Xguage but not clear.

If it's just a outside vent door it isn't really the so-called "blend door", correct?

Last edited by wptski; 09-21-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Are you saying that it doesn't have the "blend door" that talked about so much here? The one that causes the DTC B1239 which the SG-II can read using a Xguage but not clear.

If it's just a outside vent door it isn't really the so-called "blend door", correct?
No Bill, read my post! You have access to the '10 manuals but no working knowledge of any of the FEH models. It would seem Ford would still have a blend door to control temperature but there is no Aux A/C to cool the battery. You seem to want to bait and trap members here like others. Go Fish!

GaryG

Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Imported from Detroit

No Bill, read my post! You have access to the '10 manuals but no working knowledge of any of the FEH models. It would seem Ford would still have a blend door to control temperature but there is no Aux A/C to cool the battery. You seem to want to bait and trap members here like others. Go Fish!

GaryG
Correct, no working knowledge because I don't and never will own a FEH.

Yes, the '10 FEH uses the HVAC system to the battery pack at 68F-86F and optimum of 77F with no Aux A/C system.

Not trying to trap anyone. I don't jump at a every chance to correct a statement but let most pass. Just think that users might want to hear what the manual states and not what somebody just thinks.

I have no problem with being wrong and stating so which seems to almost impossible for some users here to do.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

GaryG
Gary-
So, can you clarify? The 2010 still has a blend door to the outside, but draws it's A/C air from the interior of the vehicle? What is the blend door for used for?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Correct, no working knowledge because I don't and never will own a FEH.

Yes, the '10 FEH uses the HVAC system to the battery pack at 68F-86F and optimum of 77F with no Aux A/C system.

Not trying to trap anyone. I don't jump at a every chance to correct a statement but let most pass. Just think that users might want to hear what the manual states and not what somebody just thinks.

I have no problem with being wrong and stating so which seems to almost impossible for some users here to do.
Just out of curiosity, why do you have the shop manuals if you don't own an FEH?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary-
So, can you clarify? The 2010 still has a blend door to the outside, but draws it's A/C air from the interior of the vehicle? What is the blend door for used for?
I suspect a play on words by Bill because the Blend door on the '09 and older FEH is a completely different system which functions much differently than the '10 system. There is no outside venting or Aux A/C system in the '10 FEH. The fact that Bill is saying there is a Blend door on the '10 FEH doesn't mean it's the same Blend door or even located in the same place. I took your question as the outside vent was remove and that associated Blend door was removed and that is correct.

Bill is referring to a new Blend door in a new duct system that can open and use cabin air to help heat and cool the battery. I think common sense would tell us that the '10 FEH blend door closes while the vehicle is Off because the interior of a vehicle temperature can get very hot in certain weather conditions. Also, the battery can keep the blend door closed to allow charging to heat the pack up in cold weather until the cabin temperature rises. So it makes sense a blend door is still needed on the '10 FEH.

I don't have the access Bill has to every model manual but he would be much more helpful quoting what the manual states. He just states "Its removal instructions, etc. are still in the '10 FE/FEH manual." as if it was the same blend door in the same location. This is not helping and confuses us about a system we understand changed. This is why I made the comment to Bill that he is not knowledgeable about the FEH. You have a FEH and you heard the '10 FEH changed and it did.

GaryG

Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Imported from Detroit

I suspect a play on words by Bill because the Blend door on the '09 and older FEH is a completely different system which functions much differently than the '10 system. There is no outside venting or Aux A/C system in the '10 FEH. The fact that Bill is saying there is a Blend door on the '10 FEH doesn't mean it's the same Blend door or even located in the same place. I took your question as the outside vent was remove and that associated Blend door was removed and that is correct.

Bill is referring to a new Blend door in a new duct system that can open and use cabin air to help heat and cool the battery. I think common sense would tell us that the '10 FEH blend door closes while the vehicle is Off because the interior of a vehicle temperature can get very hot in certain weather conditions. Also, the battery can keep the blend door closed to allow charging to heat the pack up in cold weather until the cabin temperature rises. So it makes sense a blend door is still needed on the '10 FEH.

I don't have the access Bill has to every model manual but he would be much more helpful quoting what the manual states. He just states "Its removal instructions, etc. are still in the '10 FE/FEH manual." as if it was the same blend door in the same location. This is not helping and confuses us about a system we understand changed. This is why I made the comment to Bill that he is not knowledgeable about the FEH. You have a FEH and you heard the '10 FEH changed and it did.

GaryG
The term "blend door" is also used to describe the routing of air as defroster, floor, etc. for the cabin HVAC on all vehicles. The manual doesn't expalin the battery pack temperature control system when talking about its "blend door" or at least I haven't found it yet.

Any current or retired Ford employee has the same access as I do but I'm sure that wasn't Ford's intent.

When I log in I'm greeted with the following.

By logging into this site, I agree to the following terms and conditions:
Ford Motor Company owns all rights to this work and intends to maintain it in confidence to preserve its trade secret status. Those having access to this work may not copy or print it, except for use within their own dealerships, or disclose the information contained in it without the written authorization of Ford Motor Company.

Theory of Operations for components is just text but procedures are often in PDF format. I have posted PDF procedures and PDFs of TSB here and elsewhere but should I continue to, would you??

If I do a copy/paste the pictures won't show up for others to view. That's happened here already.

One can purchase manuals on CD which I assume will have the same PDFs. They'd be yours to do with what you want.

Not sure that I'd have Ford's blessings on posting material from their site in this or any other forum. I'd hate to be contacted by Ford in the future.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM

GaryG
It is an interesting choice. Here in SoCal, the interior gets much hotter than the outside temperature in warm weather. So the exterior blend door of my 2008 would actually be bringing in cooler air than an interior blend door as found in the 2010 FEH. Of course, once the cabin air cooled the interior this would reverse. Does the pre-2009 system also use interior air - is that what the "door closed" system uses?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
It is an interesting choice. Here in SoCal, the interior gets much hotter than the outside temperature in warm weather. So the exterior blend door of my 2008 would actually be bringing in cooler air than an interior blend door as found in the 2010 FEH. Of course, once the cabin air cooled the interior this would reverse. Does the pre-2009 system also use interior air - is that what the "door closed" system uses?
The '09 FEH and earlier models don't use any cabin air and the outside vent blend door is also closed when the key is in the Off position. So when both the '10 and earlier FEH are parked, the battery vents to the cabin and to the outside are sealed closed my both blend doors in their respective models. I don't know this for sure in the '10, but that's what I find in my '05 & '09 FEH.

GaryG

Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Biil, you are correct about the older models not doing the gas sucking over rev. Our 08 never did.

But for sure the 09 is triggered by the oat. It could even be through the iat (intake air temp sensor,) but somehow outside air temp over 92 is triggering the over-rev condition. I was just wondering if fomoco happened to use the same sensor.
There is a range of OAT displays on my '09 when the over-rev happens. Lowest I've noticed is 87, highest without over-rev was 92, so there's no direct correlation. Above 92 it always seems to happen, though.

Quick Reply: Second Failure on my 09 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands