Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Service Power Steering module gone bad (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/service-power-steering-module-gone-bad-20550/)

suboptimal 01-16-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Service Power Steering module gone bad

Dealer just called. At first they got a "C1778" trouble code, but after clearing it and restarting, everything worked fine. The code apparently indicates a problem with the EPS controller, a $600+ repair (no longer under warranty). I found a related discussion over at Edmunds.com Town Hall (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fb471), but nothing especially helpful. Now we have to decide if it's worth the money to fix a one-time/possibly intermittent problem. The dealership has no further information or recommendation.

I don't really understand the "let it warm up" recommendation. Our car had been driven about 30 miles before we stopped for breakfast, and was off for only 5 or 10 minutes before restarting the problem occurring, so the car's systems were probably still warm. If cold was the problem, I would have thought that the problem would have occurred at the first start-up of the morning.

Hope you get a better answer from your friend at Ford.

campton1 01-16-2009 12:39 PM

This is fantastic news (not the $600 part, but the code at least). I'll call my dealer and relay the information. There is an earlier post in this list about someone with a 2007 vehicle who had some sort of "module" replaced.

I agree on the "let it warm up" piece. Our car had gone about 5 miles, it sat for 5 min, then was started up again.

dawey1 06-10-2013 11:22 AM

Does anybody have a write up on how to change the electric power steering control module or how to test it?
Just curious as I'm having the intermittent wrench and service power steering warning.
Thanks in advance.

wptski 06-10-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dawey1 (Post 248558)
Does anybody have a write up on how to change the electric power steering control module or how to test it?
Just curious as I'm having the intermittent wrench and service power steering warning.
Thanks in advance.

There isn't one as the EPS isn't serviceable just replaced as an assembly. Didn't really think that the 2007MY had EPS.

GaryG 06-10-2013 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 248559)
There isn't one as the EPS isn't serviceable just replaced as an assembly. Didn't really think that the 2007MY had EPS.

You got to be kidding me Bill, EPS came on the first '05 FEH!

Gary

wptski 06-10-2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 248560)
You got to be kidding me Bill, EPS came on the first '05 FEH!

Gary

I'm serious, I'm not a know it all!

dawey1 06-18-2013 09:11 AM

Is there a write up floating around that guides one through the removal and installation of the EPAS unit.
There has to be something out there. This truck has been out since 2005.
Does anyone have access to a service manual/shop manual for the 2007 FEH?

Dropping close to $1500 to replace the EPAS assembly at the dealer is not really feasible right now.

Thanks in advance.

wptski 06-20-2013 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by dawey1 (Post 248648)
Is there a write up floating around that guides one through the removal and installation of the EPAS unit.
There has to be something out there. This truck has been out since 2005.
Does anyone have access to a service manual/shop manual for the 2007 FEH?

Dropping close to $1500 to replace the EPAS assembly at the dealer is not really feasible right now.

Thanks in advance.

A Ford Workshop Manual is what states that you can't service the unit and you must replace the entire assembly.

tothemax 12-04-2013 11:18 AM

I have had the same issue. Here's my post on Escape city which returned no results. It looks exactly what was described above.

---
This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time was on a hard brake and swerve to dodge a car that stopped short ahead of me. that was about 6 months ago. Yesterday I was slowly pulling into a a traffic circle and the power steering just stopped, manual steering still worked OK but difficult to turn. I stopped the motor and restarted and it seemed to be fine. With a road trip coming this week I thought I would post to see if anyone has experienced this and if it is serious.

After my MECS pump issue and the $600 savings by doing it myself I'm a little gunshy of taking it to the dealer first.

Will appreciate any information,

------ No replies or comments there...

It has been a few weeks and hasn't happened since. The first time it occurred I did a hard stop and turn to avoid a road hazard. This last time there was no warning, going slowly around a downtown traffic circle. The steering continued to work (like a tank) and I was able to pull over and restart the motor. That seemed to resolve it. Does this mean that this will be a continuing issue or are these random occurrences under special conditions (overheated electric steering control)? We have 138K miles... and I'm hoping this isn't an omen.

We've been very pleased with this vehicle to date - the MECS pump experience was a lesson that the dealer option needs to be closely considered before letting them do the work.

Will appreciate any feedback,

Max

Billyk24 12-04-2013 03:59 PM

Mine did go bad and did not return to normal. I had the local dealership replace the bad unit with a brand new one and all is good. Posted this information elsewhere.