Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Originally Posted by rdprice64
I see about a $3,000 difference between my used FEH and a Non-Hybrid Escape with the same features, so I am confused why you think that?
I think it is better compared with the XLT, the XLS is the bottom of the Escape line. The FEH is a bit better, about $800 more, but that has to be compared to two facts:

1. The FEH costs a lot more when new. So the resale value compared to the original cost is a lot worse.
2. The vehicle is only 4 years old, and has only 57K. A smart buyer will know that the hybrid warranty is good at least to 100K.

Last edited by stevedebi; 02-09-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I think it is better compared with the XLT, the XLS is the bottom of the Escape line. The FEH is a bit better, about $800 more, but that has to be compared to two facts:

1. The FEH costs a lot more when new. So the resale value compared to the original cost is a lot worse.
2. The vehicle is only 4 years old, and has only 57K. A smart buyer will know that the hybrid warranty is good at least to 100K.
My FEH is bottom of the line as well. I compared the features list to confirm that the XLS was the closest match with the only difference being the hybrid system. My FEH cost $2,700 more when I purchased it than the non-hybrid, so that is about even with the difference now.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM

My FEH is bottom of the line as well. I compared the features list to confirm that the XLS was the closest match with the only difference being the hybrid system. My FEH cost $2,700 more when I purchased it than the non-hybrid, so that is about even with the difference now.
I'm not sure of the situation in 2007, but when I bought mine in 2008, the base FEH had many more features than the XLS - the hybrid simply came with more basic features. Anyway, in my opinion the jury is still out on resale.

If I were shopping for a used FEH, I would be wary of anything nearing 100K. There is simply too much to go wrong with the hybrid, and the I4 is a much simpler system.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FEH. But I never viewed it as being as economically viable as a conventional model.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Yes, I have noticed that not many people can get a simple FEH like mine, they all seem to have higher packages. I prefer simple myself. Perhaps that is why I have always seen the FEH as equally economically viable with the non-hybrid. Based on the taxi experiences, I would not have a problem buying a used FEH with more than 100k, plus I plan to keep mine well past that.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Yes, I have noticed that not many people can get a simple FEH like mine, they all seem to have higher packages. I prefer simple myself. Perhaps that is why I have always seen the FEH as equally economically viable with the non-hybrid. Based on the taxi experiences, I would not have a problem buying a used FEH with more than 100k, plus I plan to keep mine well past that.
I plan to keep mine as long as I can, past 100K - but then I know how well mine has been maintained. I also have the extended warranty to 100K / 7 yr.

I'm afraid I fall into that category; I got mine with the Premium package and the order code 700A. Basically everything except sunroof and Nav.

I would not have gone for this much stuff, but at the time this was the only FEH on the lot (out of over 40) that had backup sensors!

EDIT: Actually, it was about 20 FEH, 10 MTH (Mazda Tribute Hybrid), and the rest MMH.

Last edited by stevedebi; 02-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Jerry-

Here it is in a nutshell.

The first 10 minutes of any drive won't save you gas. You need a hot engine.
Every mile of stop & go after those first 10 minutes will save you 50% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 55 MPH will save you 20% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 65 MPH will save you 10% gas.
Every mile over the highway at 75 MPH won't save you any gas.

This is an ideal car for the residential post man, or downtown Los Angeles driver (or any traffic jam prone city).
It just the same as a gas car for someone who drives all high speed limit interstate.

How you drive determines everything.

HTH,
-John
How about the other technologies built into a Ford Escape Hybrid? Besides being a four-cylinder vehicle, the engine is an Atkinson-cycle that has "increased fuel efficiency; this increase is accompanied by a loss of low-speed torque and high-end power," which FORD perfectly match with the battery technology that handles the low-speed torque issue. And, how about the fuel efficient electronic Continuously Variable Transmission? So, the combination of FEH's engine and transmission in itself, would save more gas than the traditional Otto Cycle engine and non eCVT transmission vehicles.

I would think your last data entry: "Every mile over the highway at 75 MPH won't save you any gas" isn't entirely true unless you're comparing other vehicles with similar engine and transmission combination.

Last edited by Zephyr Boy; 02-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Question Re: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Originally Posted by Zephyr Boy
I would think your last data entry: "Every mile over the highway at 75 MPH won't save you any gas" isn't entirely true unless you're comparing other vehicles with similar, shape, weight, and most importantly- engine and transmission combination.
Ok, you decide.

The Hybrid Escape / Mariner will net about 24 MPG at 75 MPH.
How many other vehicles get 24 MPG at highway speeds?
Answer: Most of 'em.

My 6.6 liter V8 GMC Duramax Diesel 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, a much larger, 6100 pound empty weight truck nets me about 22 MPG at 75 MPH highway. Plus it has a much more comfortable interior for those long trips.
This, oddly enough is the better choice for me for highway driving.
Costs a tad more, but the creature comfort is worth it.
Plus it has enough fuel tank for 750 miles. (36 gallons)
The Escape will go 330 miles or so on a tank at highway speed.
I can buy diesel in the "cheaper" locations when I find 'em with that kind of range.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

"Ok, you decide."

Can't beat real world comparison (or highway speed wind-drag) ...I guess FEH's engine and transmission sounds good on paper...

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

As I said above, my original post is academic now, I have my 2010 XLT with the V6. Only 16k miles on it and saved a bundle. My first tank of about 85% city, 15% highway got me 21.6 mpg (actual, not from the computer). I can't complain about that at all and should do well on the highway. I don't think I'd ever break even with the FEH, and I only drive about 10k/year. I'm a happy camper-love the SYNC and other features, and the car is in as-new condition with years of factory warranty left. I'm getting all my tow stuff together to pull it behind the motorhome, it should work out just fine.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jerrybb
As I said above, my original post is academic now, I have my 2010 XLT with the V6. Only 16k miles on it and saved a bundle. My first tank of about 85% city, 15% highway got me 21.6 mpg (actual, not from the computer). I can't complain about that at all and should do well on the highway. I don't think I'd ever break even with the FEH, and I only drive about 10k/year. I'm a happy camper-love the SYNC and other features, and the car is in as-new condition with years of factory warranty left. I'm getting all my tow stuff together to pull it behind the motorhome, it should work out just fine.
Be sure to check for "any" special procedures before flat towing like lowering your ATF level and stopping more often. There have been numerous RV'rs that have burned up 2 or 3 transmissions. A "rumor" has it that a baffle was added to the 6F35 transaxle in late 2010 to cure the problem but nobody has confirmed this.

Quick Reply: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands