Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Buttons (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/steering-wheel-buttons-14229/)

WaltPA 07-02-2007 09:00 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

I know that the NAV radio for '07 and older, has the inputs for the steering wheel buttons. Plus, the steering wheel wire connector, has one unused pin, which on other models, is used for the radio controls. :D

I think, however, this still all goes to someone finding a wiring diagram for the '08 NAV radio.

WaltPA 07-02-2007 09:02 AM

BTW, the on-line User Manuals for the both the '08 FEH and the '08 MMH, has the steering wheel radio buttons described in it.

tas246 07-02-2007 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA (Post 132258)
I know that the NAV radio for '07 and older, has the inputs for the steering wheel buttons. Plus, the steering wheel wire connector, has one unused pin, which on other models, is used for the radio controls. :D

I think, however, this still all goes to someone finding a wiring diagram for the '08 NAV radio.

If it has one pin, it must be a resister circuit, where each button has a different resistor value, when you press a button it pulls the voltage down proportionaltely to that resistor and the radio system measures this to figure out which button you pressed.

If this is the case, it would seem that if we can find a parts supplier for the 2008 model year steering wheel controls, we could buy the part and snap it in, just wiring it to that extra wire on the harness...

Anyone have that wiring diagram?

DavidH 07-02-2007 11:20 AM

2008 NAV is the same unit as other High end Ford products, like the Lincoln Navigator. The NAV unit has the connections and internal hardware. Steering wheel buttons on these machines are resistor nets.

I expect the steering wheel audo buttons from a non hybrid Escape or Mariner will fit. I also thing the wiring harness is the same, so the conector is there.

The question? Will the FEH/MMH NAV uit software recognize the buttons. The software is what configures the NAV unit to the car.

WaltPA 07-03-2007 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH (Post 132288)
2008 NAV is the same unit as other High end Ford products, like the Lincoln Navigator. The NAV unit has the connections and internal hardware. Steering wheel buttons on these machines are resistor nets.

Well, it is not exactly like the other units. It has those extra inputs for the data used by the Hybrid unique screens. I don't know... but I am left wondering if Ford deleted the steering wheel button connectors on the back of the Hybrid's NAV unit, and replaced them with these other data connectors.

Otherwise, I am at a loss for any reasonable reason for Ford not offering the steering wheel buttons on Hybrids with the NAV radio. I mean, if the NAV radio still has the right connector, and non-Hybrids have the steering wheel buttons, it would be just mean or stupid to not have them on the Hybrids.

KyGreen 07-03-2007 06:50 PM

The '08 FEH hybrid I was in did not have the NAV radio - it just had the Audiophile system.

Now maybe they have the connector on the radio and maybe even the wiring through the steering column - but here's one problem - the steeing wheel is molded and solid where the buttons go on the right side for the volume controls.

How could you fix that without replacing the steering wheel?

rb1 07-05-2007 08:33 AM

Based on what the same radio can do in other Ford products, it should be possible to add two things: (1) the steering wheel audio buttons, and (2) a backup camera.

AA2070 07-05-2007 10:13 AM

If you hold down, I believe, buttons 3 and 6 for a few seconds while the vehicle is not moving, you get the the diagnostic menu for the 2008 Nav radio.

Lots of interesting stuff in those menus, including details about "Phone Module" and "Backup/Reverse Assist"

Looks like the phone connection is just a module that you can add.

rb1 07-05-2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by AA2070 (Post 132666)
If you hold down, I believe, buttons 3 and 6 for a few seconds while the vehicle is not moving, you get the the diagnostic menu for the 2008 Nav radio.

Lots of interesting stuff in those menus, including details about "Phone Module" and "Backup/Reverse Assist"

Looks like the phone connection is just a module that you can add.

Great tip! I checked the screens, and you're right -- it does show info on all of that and morel. However, that screen is read-only, and does not allow you to change an item that's marked as "disabled" to "enabled". Wonder if, for example, voice recognition is just disabled by a software configuration. Similarly, the phone module is marked "unavailable". Does that mean it's physically not there or that it is not possible to add it...

By the way, my AM/FM antenna test fails, saying there's no connection. Now I do get radio reception, so maybe it's nothing... meh.

icebluemariner 07-05-2007 10:25 PM

I purchased an 08 Mariner Hybrid for my wife last month. The big thing missing was the redundant audio controls on the steering wheel. It's really a big safety item--helps keep focused on the road--and Ford just doesn't get it. I have gone so far as to think of getting the replacement wheel from the gas version (very expensive, I imagine), because I don't see where you could modify the molded wheel. Then I would think its a matter of running the wiring connector through the steering column to the back of the NAV, if it has the capability.