Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

I know that the NAV radio for '07 and older, has the inputs for the steering wheel buttons. Plus, the steering wheel wire connector, has one unused pin, which on other models, is used for the radio controls.

I think, however, this still all goes to someone finding a wiring diagram for the '08 NAV radio.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 AM

BTW, the on-line User Manuals for the both the '08 FEH and the '08 MMH, has the steering wheel radio buttons described in it.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I know that the NAV radio for '07 and older, has the inputs for the steering wheel buttons. Plus, the steering wheel wire connector, has one unused pin, which on other models, is used for the radio controls.

I think, however, this still all goes to someone finding a wiring diagram for the '08 NAV radio.

If it has one pin, it must be a resister circuit, where each button has a different resistor value, when you press a button it pulls the voltage down proportionaltely to that resistor and the radio system measures this to figure out which button you pressed.

If this is the case, it would seem that if we can find a parts supplier for the 2008 model year steering wheel controls, we could buy the part and snap it in, just wiring it to that extra wire on the harness...

Anyone have that wiring diagram?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

2008 NAV is the same unit as other High end Ford products, like the Lincoln Navigator. The NAV unit has the connections and internal hardware. Steering wheel buttons on these machines are resistor nets.

I expect the steering wheel audo buttons from a non hybrid Escape or Mariner will fit. I also thing the wiring harness is the same, so the conector is there.

The question? Will the FEH/MMH NAV uit software recognize the buttons. The software is what configures the NAV unit to the car.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH
2008 NAV is the same unit as other High end Ford products, like the Lincoln Navigator. The NAV unit has the connections and internal hardware. Steering wheel buttons on these machines are resistor nets.
Well, it is not exactly like the other units. It has those extra inputs for the data used by the Hybrid unique screens. I don't know... but I am left wondering if Ford deleted the steering wheel button connectors on the back of the Hybrid's NAV unit, and replaced them with these other data connectors.

Otherwise, I am at a loss for any reasonable reason for Ford not offering the steering wheel buttons on Hybrids with the NAV radio. I mean, if the NAV radio still has the right connector, and non-Hybrids have the steering wheel buttons, it would be just mean or stupid to not have them on the Hybrids.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

The '08 FEH hybrid I was in did not have the NAV radio - it just had the Audiophile system.

Now maybe they have the connector on the radio and maybe even the wiring through the steering column - but here's one problem - the steeing wheel is molded and solid where the buttons go on the right side for the volume controls.

How could you fix that without replacing the steering wheel?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Based on what the same radio can do in other Ford products, it should be possible to add two things: (1) the steering wheel audio buttons, and (2) a backup camera.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

If you hold down, I believe, buttons 3 and 6 for a few seconds while the vehicle is not moving, you get the the diagnostic menu for the 2008 Nav radio.

Lots of interesting stuff in those menus, including details about "Phone Module" and "Backup/Reverse Assist"

Looks like the phone connection is just a module that you can add.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AA2070
If you hold down, I believe, buttons 3 and 6 for a few seconds while the vehicle is not moving, you get the the diagnostic menu for the 2008 Nav radio.

Lots of interesting stuff in those menus, including details about "Phone Module" and "Backup/Reverse Assist"

Looks like the phone connection is just a module that you can add.
Great tip! I checked the screens, and you're right -- it does show info on all of that and morel. However, that screen is read-only, and does not allow you to change an item that's marked as "disabled" to "enabled". Wonder if, for example, voice recognition is just disabled by a software configuration. Similarly, the phone module is marked "unavailable". Does that mean it's physically not there or that it is not possible to add it...

By the way, my AM/FM antenna test fails, saying there's no connection. Now I do get radio reception, so maybe it's nothing... meh.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased an 08 Mariner Hybrid for my wife last month. The big thing missing was the redundant audio controls on the steering wheel. It's really a big safety item--helps keep focused on the road--and Ford just doesn't get it. I have gone so far as to think of getting the replacement wheel from the gas version (very expensive, I imagine), because I don't see where you could modify the molded wheel. Then I would think its a matter of running the wiring connector through the steering column to the back of the NAV, if it has the capability.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Buttons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands