"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Woohoo! The 12V battery was tested and came up as "BAD & REPLACE" so we're going to assume that's the very reasonable fix for this. Thank you for the hint!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hmmm, I know I posted quite a long story about my "Stop Safely Now" experience a couple of years ago, but now I can't find it. It involved having to stop multiple times because the "Stop Safely Now" warning appeared and the engine shut off - while I was on the freeway! Beyond scary.

The dealership at my destination replaced the recalled battery harness for free, but charged me over $800 for this work (per the invoice):

"Replaced MECS cooling pump. Replaced TB and actuator."

I argued at the time that anything involved with the hybrid battery should be covered under the warranty, but the dealer insisted that it wasn't, so I paid the bill because I needed my vehicle to get back home.

However - I've caught up on the thread here, and it sounds like at least some of this should have been covered under the warranty (my '05 FEH had slightly less than 41K miles on it at the time).

My question (crossing fingers): Is there any way to get my money back now, from either the dealer or from Ford, since this should have been a covered repair? I still own the vehicle, if that makes any difference.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJSpark
The dealership at my destination replaced the recalled battery harness for free, but charged me over $800 for this work (per the invoice):

"Replaced MECS cooling pump. Replaced TB and actuator."

I argued at the time that anything involved with the hybrid battery should be covered under the warranty, but the dealer insisted that it wasn't, so I paid the bill because I needed my vehicle to get back home.
AFAIK, the MECS pump replacement has never been covered under the hybrid specific warranty. Not sure what the "Replaced TB and actuator" is.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, it's cold

I found a Ford dealership service manager who has an official list of the parts that Ford considers Hybrid-Related Components that are warranty items covered under the hybrid 8-year/100K mile warranty. He has tried to fax this list to me a couple of times but it's not making it through to me. I'm still trying, though. If I get it, I will post it. May help, may not.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Hybrid component coverage under the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty has all three items:
-Big 330V hybrid battery
-DC/DC converter
-electronic CVT

Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes, it's cold

Originally Posted by Billyk
Hybrid component coverage under the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty has all three items:
-Big 330V hybrid battery
-DC/DC converter
-electronic CVT
I am hoping that the list that I'm trying to get will break out the parts to these three items. For example, the cooling fans as part of the high voltage traction battery. If the list shows only the three you show, which is what the manual shows, then the list won't be of much use to anyone.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Check this out:
Name:  FEHhybridbatteryfanspartnumber.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  137.1 KB
Confusing to those who do not own a FEH.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Alaska, thank you - I hope whatever you receive is very specific, and I look forward to your posting it.

Billyk - that might be very helpful! However, the part # on my invoice is:
5M6Z*8C419*A - "Water pump repair"

The dealer told me that it was the water pump for the hybrid battery's cooling system - maybe he just replaced the defective part and not the whole cooling system? He really seemed like an honest guy and knew his Ford Escape Hybrids (i.e. he knew he had to replace the battery harness even though I wasn't aware of the recall) but he couldn't explain why it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM

AJ--you had your MECS pump replaced and that is not covered by any warranty after your 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is over --unless you have an extended warranty.

I posted the part number for the internal hybrid battery pack cooling fans that have been an issue with some other individuals.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, OK - I couldn't tell exactly what the part was since the image cut off at "HV BATTERY COO".

I still don't understand why the MECS wouldn't be covered under the hybrid-specific 50K/100K warranty, though. (I live in CA so would have the 100K warranty, no?)

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands