"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

After further research the MECS pump CANNOT cause a code because the computer can only diagnose the relay. Furthermore it can only tell if it has power coming through the actuator side of the relay! Nowhere does the computer know if the pump is actually getting power, coming on, shorted, or not functioning. IMHO if you are getting your MECS pump replaced for the "Stop Safely Now" they are misdiagnosing the problem! The flow chart from Ford, chart KT bears this out. No where in the chart are you testing the actual pump.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
After further research the MECS pump CANNOT cause a code because the computer can only diagnose the relay. Furthermore it can only tell if it has power coming through the actuator side of the relay! Nowhere does the computer know if the pump is actually getting power, coming on, shorted, or not functioning. IMHO if you are getting your MECS pump replaced for the "Stop Safely Now" they are misdiagnosing the problem! The flow chart from Ford, chart KT bears this out. No where in the chart are you testing the actual pump.
If any of these systems - Power Sustain relay, PCM power relay, Injector relay, Heater pump relay, M/E coolant pump relay which are all the same relay, I would replace first before letting any dealership touch my FEH now. Lets face it, most of these dealerships make much more money on work not covered by Ford's warranty. They make more money on the parts also. Always try the relays first before bringing or having towed into the dealers.

GaryG

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Mark - yes, the M/ECS pump is actually diagnosed from a visual inspection of the behavior of the coolant fluid with the cap off. I understand that a "M/E coolant pump code" is often caused by a blown fuse in the pump circuit - which many times is caused by the disintegration of some of the plastic fluid impeller/gearing which binds the pumps rotation and blows the fuse.

I finally got to talk to the Technician that is working on my FEH. He spent 5 hours on the phone with 3 different Ford Engineers last week. He has copied the "event log" from my FEH onto his laptop and then electronically passed that along to the Ford engineers - at their request. He has re-flashed all the modules to the versions that Ford says are the correct configuration for my VIN.

This Technician has been working on the Ford hybrids since he had training with Ford in 2003 and 2004. He has been corresponding with Detroit on difficult hybrid issues for so long that he has seen the turnover (unfortunately) in the engineering ranks at Ford. He knows many of them by name - and they know him when he calls and that it is usually about a hybrid. He knows how to answer the questions on the Ford Service support website in a manner that gets him to the special passcode quicker. The passcode is needed to allow a phone call into the engineers. He has lots of great FEH repair stories to tell. He has only seen one HVB that had to be replaced over the years - and that one was mishandled after a bad accident.

I'm confident that we will eventually resolve the issue. The FEH is driveable - and the "Stop Safely Now" can be avoided by braking in "N", but I am leaving it at the dealership. I am sure the turmoil in the industry and the weather in the Midwest are not helping my situation.

The DTCs are:
TCM: P1A0A
PCM: P1A0E, P1A0F, P1A10, P0500 (speed sensor), P1A14, U0111
[I am going on handwritten versions of these codes - I can confirm them in the next day or so]

Thanks for your interest

Last edited by glennb; 12-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Most of your codes are informational and not necessarily a problem. (P1A10, P1A0E, P1A0F,P1A14)

The P1A0A could be a problem as this will cause an immediate shut down, this from the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM ) and the TCM, could be a poor connection or worse.

The P0500 is a speed sensor (not serviceable) inside the eCVT. This could be caused by a communication error also, or a bad eCVT. Do you have the original size tires?

The U0111 is a communication error or loss of communication between the PCM and the TBCM.

It seems a good starting point would be the Pinpoint test TR. This checks the Immediate Shutdown (ISDN) 1 and 2 signals.

This problem looks like it will be well beyond the capabilities of most technicians unless they have a fair amount of training and help, which it seems you now have. It is interesting that it will not fail if in N before a stop, might be a significant clue. Good luck and keep us posted. My 07 FEH was in the shop for 2 weeks before they could figure out I had a PCM melt down (that I had diagnosed), but mine was under warranty.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM

This problem looks like it will be well beyond the capabilities of most technicians unless they have a fair amount of training and help, which it seems you now have. It is interesting that it will not fail if in N before a stop, might be a significant clue. Good luck and keep us posted. My 07 FEH was in the shop for 2 weeks before they could figure out I had a PCM melt down (that I had diagnosed), but mine was under warranty.
The Technician is waiting for an answer from Ford Engineering.....which of course has been "furlowed " since well before Christmas. [really bad timing for me and my FEH] I suspect to hear something tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

glennb Any news?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM

On Tuesday, my Tech talked to his Service contact at Ford headquarters - Rick (I think?) - and to two of the engineers as well - Sal and (?)

No suggested course of action has been provided yet.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

How many miles are on you FEH?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM

How many miles are on your FEH?
Just over 40,000. The Tech downloaded a large "history" file from the FEH (from the KAM ?) and sent it electronically to Ford Engineering......and we wait.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

any update or new dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes)

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands