Thinking of buying a 1st Gen Hybrid Escape, can the sat nav be installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking of buying a 1st Gen Hybrid Escape, can the sat nav be installed?

Originally Posted by retswerb
You missed out, @Wsky ! Mine has been great in the few days I've had it so far. 85k miles and I'm getting 30 mpg.
The head units I've seen aren't too expensive but I hate to drop a hundred bucks on something that I don't know will work. Definitely also considering going the route of a nicer head unit plus an android display running Torque Pro but at this point I sure like the simplicity of just swapping the stock unit in.
I don't doubt it but 30mpg isn't really good enough for me (fusion gets 46+) and where I live in the rust belt I couldn't find one that was in good enough shape. Seriously though I'd get to tuning that as perfectly as you can and learning to drive it until you can get 40mpg. I still have a 99 that gets 37.5 mpg fully loaded on cross country trips. ( used to get 42mpg in it when it was newer) I've done all kinds of things on cars hence why mine last so long. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to connect the unit from ebay. Just make sure you get one where the seller allows returns because there is a chance you get one that is faulty and doesn't work on anything. I think maybe someday if I haven't left the country I'll get a crosstrek or a maverick.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking of buying a 1st Gen Hybrid Escape, can the sat nav be installed?

People should also keep in mind that even if you are successful at retrofitting a SYNC/SAT/NAV unit, the last map update was in 2019 and they are now NLA. I bought the 2019 maps about a year ago but now the website does not have them.

So unless you're very lucky or can find a set of discs that just happen to be encoded to your unit, you will be stuck with whatever version of the maps and software that are in the unit you find.

Honestly unless you have a very compelling reason to try a retrofit, I would put something custom together. I did mine with the 2019 maps because I also upgraded my Premium Sound speakers at the same time, and my NAV/SAT unit came with the car.

Good luck!

Last edited by AlexK; 02-14-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I've always preferred maps on my phone anyway so the only reason would be to get access to the hybrid telemetry. At this point I'm leaning toward an aftermarket head unit to use with Android Auto for audio and nav, plus possibly a dedicated android unit hooked to OBD and running Torque for telemetry display.

I've never actually seen the stock hybrid display on the nicer head unit - I'm assuming it's something similar to that on the Prius, etc, with some sort of display showing what's happening with the battery and motor (which I would like). Is that even accurate?

Old 02-15-2023, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

I've seen it and if I were you, I'd get it AND use an OBDII unit. I'm pretty sure it will work. I think I saw instructions for hooking it up somewhere on the interwebs several years ago.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On the 09 at least. The head unit needs some programming to work and a different wiring harness. There was also a GPS module that goes with it.

Unless you can get it for chump change from a junkyard, where you get to take the wiring and all it's not worth it. The stock unit I have doesn't include an amplifier. Not sure if the previous generation is in the same boat but quite possibly since its "premium".

For an aftermarket unit, steering wheel controls and sync (for me at least) add some headaches too. Since my stock radio plays MP3s and I'm still looking for the harness.. I've done nothing.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

I did this with my 2005, the 2005-07 should be the same. I went to a pick-n-pull and got (almost) all of the parts. The wiring harness for the nav unit is a short pigtail that plugs into the standard audio connector at the firewall. (The challenge is finding one of these that has not been cut!) The GPS and other sensors (and their wiring) are situated above the unit and are easily harvested. The one piece that is almost impossible to find and harvest is the wiring harness for the ACP module. (The module is easy to find - 2005-2007 Ford Escape 5M6Z10E850AA behind the glove box.) I got the nav and the radio functioning, but without the ACP, there was no CAN communication, so no Hybrid data.
Sadly, I traded in my 2005 for a much nicer 2010 FEH (and went aftermarket for the radio to get Airplay) before I was able to locate the harness.

Last edited by itbland; 07-23-2023 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add some info