Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Traction Control?

That's not really traction control...it's stability control. It prevents you from spinning out. But yes, it does work with traction control so there lies the confusion.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

We all need to be clear about the differences between 2008 and the 3 earlier years.

I'm 100% sure there is NO TRACTION CONTROL in 2005.
I've driven 2006, and 2007, and have read all the manuals. I've seen no direct mention of "Traction Control" in any, but have the least amount of experience with 2008. These cars do lots of funky things once in a while. We need someone to do a test repeatedly in a 2008.... IE floor it on ice and see if the wheels spin or not. In my 2005 I can get wheels at 40 MPH when I am standing still.

IMHO 2008 might have this feature.

Originally Posted by pb5927317
The Hybrid has to have traction control.

I just doesnt have the anti-rollover(a.k.a. driving to fast in a corner) protection?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
We need someone to do a test repeatedly in a 2008.... IE floor it ...
I thought we would get the cr@p beaten out of us, if we ever floored our hybrids?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 AM

anti-rollover, stability control... they are just different names for the same thing. It controls yaw. The system detects the vechicle is doing something it shouldn't, and tries to correct it by applying brakes to the various corners of the car to correct it. In AWD system, the system could also apply power to a corner of a car to compensate.

In a FWD vechile, traction control is limited to the front wheels. It limits the amount of slipage that a wheel can have under certain conditions. If you floor it on ice, the system should compensate by not letting your rev to max. In some system, the motor itself cuts power, in other systems it works with the brakes. The brakes engage to slow the spinning wheel down.

There are conditions where traction control has to be turned off. If you start from a dead stop on ice, chances are your traction control system will stall your car. Traction control works best when there is forward momentum already.

DSC...(I'll use the term my MINI S has). Dynamic Stability Control (aka yaw control, anti-rollover, etc). Chances of you rolling over a MINI is pretty slim, hence the name (anti-rollover system) is used in SUVs. What this system does, is it works in combination with ABS and Traction Control. The best place to show off DSC is on a rotary (circle, round about, etc) under wet conditions. With the system on, the driver can floor the accelarator and the car will NOT spin out going around the rotary. In fact it is so good that you as a driver can not beat the time it takes to go around in wet conditons (with the system OFF). The system works all the time, not just under braking conditions. In the case of going around the rotary, I am flooring it. In the case of a lane change under emergency braking, the system kicks in to prevent the car from spinning and then the ABS takes over. Again, it works in combination with ABS and traction control.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I thought we would get the cr@p beaten out of us, if we ever floored our hybrids?
That's why I had to try it in a deserted parking lot at 3am.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 AM

We all need to be clear about the differences between 2008 and the 3 earlier years.

I'm 100% sure there is NO TRACTION CONTROL in 2005.
I've driven 2006, and 2007, and have read all the manuals. I've seen no direct mention of "Traction Control" in any, but have the least amount of experience with 2008. These cars do lots of funky things once in a while. We need someone to do a test repeatedly in a 2008.... IE floor it on ice and see if the wheels spin or not. In my 2005 I can get wheels at 40 miles per hour when I am standing still.

IMHO 2008 might have this feature.
There is confusion abount the different features and wheather they are present in the FEH or not.

ABS - is braking control - Obviousy we do have all years
Traction Control - To prevent spinout on acceleration. 2005-2007 is confirmed to not have, 2008 not sure yet. I will go play later, after all the rain has finished, I'm not into scraping the windows twice if I don't have to, and since I have no need to go anywhere, I'm not! Gosh that feels great to say! 10-20 years ago I'd be itching to go out in the cold & ice!
Stability Control (ASC is it?) - Rollover prevention - Hybrids do not have, gas cousins do.

I made a picture page of our ice storm, you can get there from my sig link.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Bryan.... looks like you picked the correct color!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Yea.. thanks (slow quiet sulky voice)

But Yes I love the color, real Ice Blue or not!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM

His MMH was red, no?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Well 1/2 after starting to scrape off ice I was able to get in. I only moved 20' in my driveway, but punched it in R then in D both times spun out. only did it for a secont, but if I had traction control I assume it would have kicked in by then.

Quick Reply: Traction Control?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands