Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Transmission Issue? Slipping? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/transmission-issue-slipping-30982/)

swinada 11-01-2016 04:00 PM

Re: Transmission Issue? Slipping?

good news and bad news :(
After changing the thermostat i noticed a great improvement in how quickly the car goes in to battery mode. It has never been that great in the almost 4 years i own this Escape.
This was the good news, now the bad
First day back to work constant stop and go after about an hour ICE will not shut off anymore :( just keeps running but does not show any trouble lights or errors.
I guess now i am in the same boat as the other thread talking about ICE not shutting off.
I just dont have the money to replace an AC system.
The actuator motor seems to work, at least when i pull the filter out and look in the door seems to be open.
Not sure about the battery fans i dont think i heard them today at all.

08escapehybrid 11-14-2016 09:59 AM

Does the scangauge actually show the battery hitting high temperatures? It might not need a replacement of the full a/c system. Mine just had a pinhole in the condenser I believe. Any a/c shop should be able to work on the front portion of the a/c system. I think mine just picked up a stone and caused a leak. You could also try recharging it yourself, but that isn't exactly recommended. My full service to have it changed out and have the system recharged was about $400.

swinada 11-14-2016 08:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the temps just keep climbing they never come down while driving. As soon as it hits 100F the ICE does not shut off anymore. (Tav is in F not C as it says on the display)
Here is some screenshots
TxT is for eCVT temperature

08escapehybrid 11-15-2016 09:58 AM

Yeah, I would definitely recommend at minimum refilling the a/c system and seeing what it does. A shop should be able to refill it for you without too much cost and put some dye in it and track it down when it goes low again. These systems really only hold a few pounds of freon.

swinada 11-15-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid (Post 261023)
Yeah, I would definitely recommend at minimum refilling the a/c system and seeing what it does. A shop should be able to refill it for you without too much cost and put some dye in it and track it down when it goes low again. These systems really only hold a few pounds of freon.

I already did that a few weeks ago. AC is blowing cold air at around 8 degrees Celsius. That should be cold enough to get the temperature down a bit.

I think it is my fans that are not working. Does somebody have a wiring diagram for the battery cooling fans? Has anyone ever pulled those and tested?
I removed mine to check continuity but for some reason there is none between red and black. What am I missing?

08escapehybrid 11-15-2016 06:00 PM

You will be able to hear them running generally with the car in hybrid mode. They run continuously, they are variable speed. Idle the truck until it goes into hybrid mode, if you have to do it at night or early morning do that. When it shuts the engine off go back and lift the mat and see if you can hear anything. They aren't super loud, but if you hear them they should be good. Have you verified the function of the blend door? I have never done that since mine never failed.

swinada 11-15-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid (Post 261027)
You will be able to hear them running generally with the car in hybrid mode. They run continuously, they are variable speed. Idle the truck until it goes into hybrid mode, if you have to do it at night or early morning do that. When it shuts the engine off go back and lift the mat and see if you can hear anything. They aren't super loud, but if you hear them they should be good. Have you verified the function of the blend door? I have never done that since mine never failed.

blend door works it opens up when engine is on.
I thought I read somewhere that the fans only come on if the ice is running and only above a certain rpm.

08escapehybrid 11-15-2016 06:09 PM

Blend door should be closing above 86 or so degrees though. Not accurate, I have had them come on with it in hybrid mode. You might be thinking of the a/c compressor or the electric fans on the radiator

swinada 11-15-2016 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 08escapehybrid (Post 261029)
Blend door should be closing above 86 or so degrees though. Not accurate, I have had them come on with it in hybrid mode. You might be thinking of the a/c compressor or the electric fans on the radiator

?? So as the battery temperature comes up the blend door should close again?
When the car is off the door is closed, I check that by pulling the air filter, then when I start the car it opens up, right? Now I need to check if it closes again when the temp of the battery reaches 86, if I understand you right.

08escapehybrid 11-16-2016 08:22 AM

I don't know the exact temperature the blend door closes. It is somewhere in the high 80s to low 90s. On your scangauge in the x-gauge features there's an a/c compressor you can program into it. You should see that come on when the temps get higher and the blend door closes. This is assuming you have the a/c and any of the other "red" settings off during those times. You can monitor the battery temperature as well using the scan gauge.