Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/81137311

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 AM

I used to argue that the V6 and Hybrid performances were similar. I've since changed my mind.

1. I've driven both back to back and the difference was pretty clear to me. When you "step on it" for hard acceleration the V6 is much more powerful.

2. Every acceleration "test" I've seen listed the 4cyl at about 9.1 secs 0-60mph, the hybrid at 8.9 secs 0-60 and the V6 at 8.1 secs 0-60. And as for HP, the 4 cyl Horsepower = 153, the V6 Horsepower = 200, the Hybrid NET Horsepower = 155.

If these figures are wrong please post the test results you are referring to...

{edit: sorry, missed that chart you posted}

Unfortunately, they don't post the numbers for the regular 4cyl Escape so we are missing a big piece of the puzzle. I can't access the results that I quoted above as the page no longer seems to be valid.

Last edited by Tim K; 06-25-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I owned an '05 FE V6 AWD and traded it in for my '08 FEH FWD. The weight of the AWD system may make a slight difference, but I don't, in traditional driving, notice a substantial difference. I notice when I want to pass a semi that's drifting into my lane and going up a steep hill. However, part of that difference is due to the fact that I have trained myself (in past cars) to fear the tachometer and "know" once I get past 3000 RPM I may be hurting the engine. The Atkinson engine in the FEH is supposed to hit high RPM when accelerating hard. I still have a hard time accepting that, but have punched it a couple of times and noticed maybe a 1 second difference. Since I'm driving 10 MPH slower now to conserve fuel, I don't think that one second is going to do a whole heck of a lot.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Look at the chart I posted, the Hybrid was VERY SLIGHTLY SLOWER from 0-60 mph & VERY SLIGHTLY FASTER from 0-90 mph.

Hybrid 8.9 versus 8.5 0-60

Hybrid 19.8 versus 20.5 0-90

Neither one is exactly a speed demon, but they are certainly comparable performance wise.

~John

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Dog is My Copilot

Well, I found a 2008 FEH just down the street.. Literally. Tomorrow I go to test drive it with my mom. No, really. I'm 34, but Ive never bought a brand new car so she's going too to offer her opinion on the car. If I like it a bunch Im going to get the MMH. In a couple of weeks a dealer should be getting several of the MMH so it might be perfect timing.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by LiveSquid
I like it a bunch Im going to get the MMH. In a couple of weeks a dealer should be getting several of the MMH so it might be perfect timing.
I'm willing to bet you really like it.

I have owned a bunch of really cool vehicles over the years, but I told my wife recently that I like my FEH as well as any vehicle I've ever owned....

~John

Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow! Looks like you lucked out on finding one. I'm pretty sure you'll like it -- just remember that it will be different than most any car you've driven.

Of the last five new cars that I've owned prior to getting a hybrid (some of which were fairly high-end cars), the hybrids are definitely my favorites.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Everything else aside, there is something really, really cool about cruising down the street on a quiet summer night with the windows open.....and not a sound to be heard save the wind blowing.....

Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Dog is My Copilot

Went for the test drive. I really like it. So does my mom. It was a fully loaded model, MSRP of 31,165. I floored it to feel the accel, a bit lacking, but not too bad. Has a very comfortable, smooth ride, comfy seats, and nice, tight steering. I got to play with the HEV display, but not the navigation as they hadnt installed it from the DVD yet. When I was done I pulled onto a residential street and into a driveway to turn around. I turned off the radio, rolled down the windows and threw it into reverse. I started to back out of the drive and I asked my mom, "You hear that?" She says, "No." I say, "Exactly! Reverse is all electric. Cool right?"

I swear I knew more than the salesman did. He tried to tell me that there were interior color options, he would have to check the book to find out.

I still like the more 'muscular' front end and overall body style of the MMH better, but at least now I know that I like whats inside it too. We'll discuss it with my dad and see what happens. As my first new car purchase I want all the input I can get.

Thanks so much for all the help. I do have a question, though.. do they sell the 'oh **** straps' (the interior handles near the tops of the doors) seperately so I can buy them and install them?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That depends. If you have side curtain air bags, you are not allowed to have them as there are air bags behind where you would put the screws!
-John

Originally Posted by LiveSquid
I do have a question, though.. do they sell the 'oh **** straps' (the interior handles near the tops of the doors) seperately so I can buy them and install them?

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands