Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Turning on MPG display after NAV removal (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/turning-mpg-display-after-nav-removal-28832/)

areich 05-14-2013 04:40 PM

Turning on MPG display after NAV removal

I've got two FEH's; a 2005 without the NAV unit, and a 2007 that originally came with a NAV unit, but has since been replaced with a Kenwood Navigation System. My 2005 has a MPG reading on its selectable dash display (under the speedometer), but my 2007 does not (presumably because it was displayed on the original NAV unit).

Is there anyway I can trick the vehicle that had the NAV into enabling the MPG display on the dash?

And yes, I already have a Scan Gauge which I am using to display average (trip) MPG, but I am not convinced it is being accurate because when the vehicle gets electric assist, the instantaneous MPG on the Scan Gauge goes to 9999, even though I am at freeway speeds and am still using gas. Also, I prefer the long term (life time?) MPG reading the 2005 displays on its dash over the trip average & instantaneous MPG display of the SG.
Thanks,

GaryG 05-15-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Turning on MPG display after NAV removal

Originally Posted by areich (Post 248277)
I've got two FEH's; a 2005 without the NAV unit, and a 2007 that originally came with a NAV unit, but has since been replaced with a Kenwood Navigation System. My 2005 has a MPG reading on its selectable dash display (under the speedometer), but my 2007 does not (presumably because it was displayed on the original NAV unit).

Is there anyway I can trick the vehicle that had the NAV into enabling the MPG display on the dash?

And yes, I already have a Scan Gauge which I am using to display average (trip) MPG, but I am not convinced it is being accurate because when the vehicle gets electric assist, the instantaneous MPG on the Scan Gauge goes to 9999, even though I am at freeway speeds and am still using gas. Also, I prefer the long term (life time?) MPG reading the 2005 displays on its dash over the trip average & instantaneous MPG display of the SG.
Thanks,

You might get lucky by checking with the dealer. Many times it's about turning ON or OFF a display with their scantool.

GaryG

ScaleGuyMike 11-03-2013 04:02 PM

I have the same issue. I bought my 06 FEH a few weeks ago, and the factory nav was borked. put in a decent (basic) radio, and that is fine. my problem: dealership has no idea what I'm talking aboot. I'm fairly certain I'm getting terrible mileage (22mpg), but i have no idea where the 'sweet spot' is. Anyone ever get this figured out?

GatorJ 11-04-2013 05:04 AM

You're going to need a gauge cluster from a vehicle that was not originally equipped with the Navigation/Hybrid Information Center.