Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   What's has been everyones experience ordering a Hybrid. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/whats-has-been-everyones-experience-ordering-hybrid-14556/)

cshupp 08-02-2007 10:19 AM

Re: What's has been everyones experience ordering a Hybrid.

Originally Posted by leoashton (Post 136949)
While your delay was possibly too long, at least the vehicles built after June 6th get better frontal crash test ratings for the driver. We have yet to figure out what change Ford made, but prior to June 6th the Escapes get 3 stars, after they get 4...

Mine was made on the 11th of June (yay me!). What is your source for this data? Is there a means of telling this data via the vin?

Cris

leoashton 08-02-2007 10:48 AM

The VIN does describe the date of manufacture I believe, but you can tell from the sticker on the car. I became aware of the info from BlueOvalForms.com, but the specific data is from the NHTSA website.

jwhimes 08-02-2007 12:01 PM

Here is a FORD Vin decoder:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

As it will be a while before I get my MMH I can't run that one but I did run a 2001 F150 Supercrew I have through this. It does show some interesting information if you don't know it already, but no "birth day" as it were.

I believe the sticker on the door panel will show the month/year of mfg, but probally not the final assembly date.

Even the http://myford.fordvehicles.com (if you sign up) only lists the year of mfg, at least on my 2001.

leoashton 08-02-2007 12:32 PM

Yea, jwhimes, you are correct about just the year in the VIN #, from the manual:

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) contains the following
information:
1. World manufacturer identifier (first 3 digits)
2. Brake system / Gross Vehicle (4th digit)
Weight Rating (GVWR) / Restraint
System
3. Vehicle line, series, body type (5-7th digit)
4. Engine type (8th digit)
5. Check digit (9th digit)
6. Model year (10th digit)
7. Assembly plant (11th digit)
8. Production sequence number (last 6 digits)

Door sticker has just month/year as jwhimes said.

Your Window sticker will have the actual "birth date" however, in code on the bottom right., digits 4-9.

jwhimes 08-02-2007 01:23 PM

Duh, my 01 F150 was "born on" 05/19/2000, a Friday. Guess that explains a few things :confused: Thanks for waking me up leoashton.

Wonder what are all the other little codes for?!? ( YE192 N RB 2X 116 000309 05 19 00 )

Transportation was CONVOY (10-4 good buddy!) and CK08.

pb5927317 08-03-2007 05:53 PM

Everyone,

I finally found an email address at Ford I could contact: crcfmc@ford.com

Anyways here is the response I recieved:
Dear Patrick,

Our records indicate that your vehicle order has been received by Ford Motor Company and is awaiting selection by Computer Order Selection (COS) for submission to the plant. There are a great number of variables that may affect production scheduling and delivery:

1) Option packages
2) Special powertrain combinations
3) Delivery delays of components

Other variables that may also affect the delivery date of your vehicle include:

1) Certification and quality inspections
2) Transportation of the vehicle to the specified dealership

As such, it is not possible to guarantee a specific delivery date. Your sales representative at your selling dealership is in the best position to track your vehicle order. We recommend contacting the dealership's Sales Department for further assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,
Phebe
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I am not really sure that I accomplished much by doing this except verify that the dealer made the order which I am posistive this is not a dealer issue. I just think Ford is really far behind. I ordered everything accept all wheel drive. If we can just find the 'right' contact at Ford I am betting we can get things escalated.

I am dry on leads right now, so any extra info could help me get closer to the right person!

An IT guy playing detective!

pb5927317 08-17-2007 07:50 AM

Everyone,

Just to let you know. I ordered my vehicle on Jun. 28th. I was just on a conference call with my dealership and Ford. They are promising production now no sooner the Feb. 2009, and that is if things are going better then originally promised.

They said they are only allocating 11 vehicles per region and the Midwest region as of now, I am number 35. So sometime in December it will be allocated and recieve a full VIN number. This will put it in line for production. The Ford rep said to remember Christmas break, and year end inventory could easily mean production at its best would be late Jan.

I am very disapointed and am considering canceling my vehcile.

Does anyone have any advice. I was very excited about buying a Hybrid, but I am NOT going to wait 6 months for a product because of a companies lack of production ability.

The person we spoke too, said it is not a supplies issue, but just behind on production issue.

leoashton 08-17-2007 08:22 AM

Very sorry to hear about your ordering difficulties, California must be different and getting a larger allocation, at least I am seeing new ones coming in on occasion. Maybe someone at blueovalnews can help find one to fit your requirements in a nearby state? Silly for them to leave sales on the table...

NevermoreGasGuzzler 08-17-2007 03:09 PM

After reading this thread I called my sales guy AGAIN... he said that they were told today by the district rep that 55 "sold orders" from the end of May were processed this week, and they think that my order (dated June 6) will be picked up in the next week or two... hopefully leading to delivery in early to mid-October. He also said that they were told that phony "sold orders" are being weeded out and questionable ones may get delayed, so they faxed in copies of my signed purchase order and evidence of their deposit of my down payment, etc. to prove that it's a bona fide purchase, not just an attempt by the dealer to get one for the lot.

How any of this information gels with the politics of allocation to different areas of the country, etc., I have no idea. Just another piece for the puzzle...

Raven
Coralville, Iowa
(increasingly im)Patiently waiting for FEH since 6/6/2007.

simpleman 08-18-2007 04:33 AM

Just a quick note about my purchasing experience- maybe this can help a few of you waiting. I bought an '07 FEH in Oct '06. I spent weeks researching this site and others to determine exactly which options I wanted (I'd have checked different options now...). I "built my ford" on the website and took in the window sticker to my local dealership. They had two FEHs on the lot, but they didn't have my color choice or options configuration. Rather than special ordering one, they searched Ford dealers' inventories. Within 5 minutes, they located one two states away with my color choice and options (+ floormats, but I let it slide). A few days later, the FEH was mine.

I notice some recent posters' dealerships have FEHs in stock, while a majority of people can't find any. With such a low supply of '08 hybrids, maybe searching other dealers' inventories and widening your choice of colors and options might land a vehicle sooner? Good luck!