Why doesn't ICE cut off automatically when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why doesn't ICE cut off automatically when coasting?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You Don't put the key into the car at all when you tow!!!
So all the electronics are 100% off when you tow.
I've never towed one with wheels on the ground, but how do they put it in neutral???
Just curious.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I would Key-Off FAS in neutral above 40mph while still maintaining speed after the battery is full.
The ICE has to spin to avoid over-revolution of MG1 above 40 mph or a certain speed.
Following slide is came from...
http://john1701a.com/prius/presentat...ntation_01.htm

Ken@Japan

Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyh
I've never towed one with wheels on the ground, but how do they put it in neutral???
Just curious.
The "towing in neutral" doesn't refer to towing companies....it means you can tow it behind another vehicle or RV in Neutral. Since you have the keys you can put it into neutral before towing it. Tow truck operators SHOULD be using dollies to get all 4 wheels off the ground before towing any 4WD vehicle.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
The "towing in neutral" doesn't refer to towing companies....it means you can tow it behind another vehicle or RV in Neutral. Since you have the keys you can put it into neutral before towing it. Tow truck operators SHOULD be using dollies to get all 4 wheels off the ground before towing any 4WD vehicle.
I don't get it. Why is it ok for one to tow it on its wheels behind and RV and not behind a tow truck? Is it because all 4 wheels are roling at the same speed behibd an RV and that 2 are off the ground in a tow?

Just curious...

Roch

Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No. It is explained in this and other threads in depth. Basically, if you put the "transmission" into neutral it disconnects the drive shafts thereby allowing all 4 wheels to turn without doing any damage to the system. If a tow truck comes along and snatches up your 4WD vehicle without dollies and without shifting into neutral (since the driver doesn't have your keys) it will damage the vehicle.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
No. It is explained in this and other threads in depth. Basically, if you put the "transmission" into neutral it disconnects the drive shafts thereby allowing all 4 wheels to turn without doing any damage to the system. If a tow truck comes along and snatches up your 4WD vehicle without dollies and without shifting into neutral (since the driver doesn't have your keys) it will damage the vehicle.
Sorry, I was not thinking about the tow driver snatching the car but if I were stalled and needed a tow. In retrospect, I should have as it is common here for tow trucks to move you if they are clearing the snow, and you ignored the signs (and the horns).

Thanks,

Roch

Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Gary, I have to also say that key-off above 40 MPH is a bad idea.

Coasting at high speeds in N, the ICE will rev up in RPM to match the speed of the wheels / MG2, or the MG1 will spin up the ICE to match the speed of the wheels / MG2.

With key off, you remove the car's ability to do this.
Below 40 MPH, this car can be a 2 part system, or 3 part system.
Above 40 MPH, this car must be a 3 part system.
MG1 / MG2 / ICE

Also, the "tow behind at any speed" does not apply to your case. When you tow behind, you gradually move from zero to 75 MPH and slowly go back down to zero. And when you tow behind, you never EVER shift to Drive, nor do you ever restart the car in motion. And there is a special procedure you do with the transmission before you tow behind. You do NOT just stick the key in and shift to N. Some people wonder if all the electronics will drain the battery if they leave the key in when they tow.
You Don't put the key into the car at all when you tow!!!
So all the electronics are 100% off when you tow.
( Didn't you know that Gary? )

Just because something is possible, does not make it a good idea.

P.S. Engineers are smart. Don't you think they would have loved to market a 50 MPG SUV by allowing automatic neutral coasting and EV at any speed?
There are very good reasons the car works like it does. Giving you limitations to "discover" and fix for Ford was not one of them!
John, no matter how many times I quote the repair manual about the disengagement of the Output Shaft from the wheels, you ignore it. MG1, MG2 and the ICE are isolated from the wheels in neutral. Ford Engineers programmed the FEH/MMH to restart the ICE in neutral above 6mph for a reason. I'm sure they didn't do this for people to FAS, but they have made special programming for this to happen that Toyota didn't do. It must be tied to special efforts to make the FEH/MMH a Toad behind an RV, which is a good selling point to RV owners.

Again, you are completely wrong about the Key not being needed to place the FEH/MMH in Neutral. You must used the key to put the ignition in the on position and press on the brake pedal to move the shifter to Neutral. You can turn the ignition and ACC off, but you can't remove the key. My guess is that this is to prevent someone stealing the vehicle by towing it away without a key.

John, if you have any documentation of anything of interest to your claims, please post them or their location. It would be of special interest to me to know where you found this special proceedure on placing the FEH/MMH in neutral without the key.

GaryG

Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

John, no matter how many times I quote the repair manual about the disengagement of the Output Shaft from the wheels, you ignore it. MG1, MG2 and the ICE are isolated from the wheels in neutral. GaryG
This is only YOUR interpretation. I say you do not understand what you read. "Disengagement", "isolated"... these terms do not mean what you think. I have many reasons and 2 years of driving to believe you are incorrect. "Isolated" for example refers to electrically isolated, not mechanically. You assume things incorrectly.
Ford Engineers programmed the FEH/MMH to restart the ICE in neutral above 6mph for a reason. GaryG
The reason is simple! For EMERGENCY use only! It is possible for even a FEH to stall while in motion. It should be a once, if ever event. This is not a cool "feature"!

Again, you are completely wrong about the Key not being needed to place the FEH/MMH in Neutral. You must used the key to put the ignition in the on position and press on the brake pedal to move the shifter to Neutral. You can turn the ignition and ACC off, but you can't remove the key. My guess is that this is to prevent someone stealing the vehicle by towing it away without a key.
GaryG
I am afraid YOU are very wrong. Wrong indeed. The statement above proves you are arrogant ( as others have already stated elsewhere ) and ignorant at topics that do not include "hypermiling".
If I PROVE to you that there is a special way to do a tow behind, with all 4 wheels on the ground, that DOES NOT require a key to ever be present, a way that IS a design feature, and the way you are SUPPOSED to tow the car, with zero electronics active so as not drain either battery, a way that requires no special modifications to the car... just the knowledge of the correct method... if I tell you all that... will you quit posting here and only post on the "other" site for hypermilers? The "other" site you like is a better place for your wild ideas IMHO.

You can get great MPG. But that story is getting old.
You still do not know very basic information of how the internal parts of the FEH work!
-John

P.S. If you damaged / broke your FEH doing unusual things to it, would you even admit to it? Just curious.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM

This is only YOUR interpretation. I say you do not understand what you read. "Disengagement", "isolated"... these terms do not mean what you think. I have many reasons and 2 years of driving to believe you are incorrect. "Isolated" for example refers to electrically isolated, not mechanically. You assume things incorrectly.

The reason is simple! For EMERGENCY use only! It is possible for even a FEH to stall while in motion. It should be a once, if ever event. This is not a cool "feature"!

I am afraid YOU are very wrong. Wrong indeed. The statement above proves you are arrogant ( as others have already stated elsewhere ) and ignorant at topics that do not include "hypermiling".
If I PROVE to you that there is a special way to do a tow behind, with all 4 wheels on the ground, that DOES NOT require a key to ever be present, a way that IS a design feature, and the way you are SUPPOSED to tow the car, with zero electronics active so as not drain either battery, a way that requires no special modifications to the car... just the knowledge of the correct method... if I tell you all that... will you quit posting here and only post on the "other" site for hypermilers? The "other" site you like is a better place for your wild ideas IMHO.

You can get great MPG. But that story is getting old.
You still do not know very basic information of how the internal parts of the FEH work!
-John

P.S. If you damaged / broke your FEH doing unusual things to it, would you even admit to it? Just curious.

John, I'll repeat what I wrote in this thread already again for you to read carefully:

Many places in the '05 Workshop Manual state this including Section 307-01B-2 under the eCVT Chapter. Under "Neutral" it states:

"With the range selector in NEUTRAL:

* no power flows through the transmission.

* the output shaft is disengaged from the drive wheels."

In addition, the owner manual states the you can tow the FEH with all four wheels down safely up to 75mph in neutral.

Note that the manual states "no power flows through the transmission". Does that agree with your definition above about isolation?. What do you think disengaged from the drive wheels means?

Please don't call me names, it's a violation of the rules here on GH. Where is a moderator when you need one around here!

If you don't want to provide us with your source of the information of this special procedure for putting the the FEH/MMH in Neutral without a key, fine.

GaryG

Old 04-01-2007, 04:08 PM

GPSman1 Quote
"If I PROVE to you that there is a special way to do a tow behind, with all 4 wheels on the ground, that DOES NOT require a key to ever be present, a way that IS a design feature, and the way you are SUPPOSED to tow the car, with zero electronics active so as not drain either battery, a way that requires no special modifications to the car... just the knowledge of the correct method... if I tell you all that... will you quit posting here and only post on the "other" site for hypermilers? The "other" site you like is a better place for your wild ideas IMHO."

Just did some research on RV owners using the FEH/MMH as a Toad and they all said that you must use the Key to place the vehicle in Neutral. The key must be left in the ignition like I stated before, and the ACC can be turned off. There is a special Neutral kit made for the non-hybrid Escapes automatics, but we're not talking about that.

One person reported that he towed his FEH for 8,000 miles with all 4 wheels down in neutral with no problems. Hope this clears things up for those interested.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Why doesn't ICE cut off automatically when coasting?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands