Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
Thanks for the TSB information, Carl! Do you have any specifics of the TSB? I did a search on "Hybrid Systems - Wrench Lamp ON/DTC B1239 Set" on Google, and only one result was found -- see http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/20/052069er.html. I was hoping to get the specifics of the TSB for free somewhere on-line, and make sure it applies to my 2006 FEH AWD.
I found on this board some great TSB info. http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=24

It's also nice to know the price is about $250, so I can decided to do it and pay for it and hope nothing else breaks so I can get my $1000 back for the exted plan option I purchased

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I found on this board some great TSB info. http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=24

It's also nice to know the price is about $250, so I can decided to do it and pay for it and hope nothing else breaks so I can get my $1000 back for the exted plan option I purchased
Bryan - Unfortunately, that link does not work. I appreciate the effort, and am glad I could provide the pricing information, so you can make a decision on the extended warranty.

The closest that I have come to obtaining an actual Service Bulletin is regarding the 2008 MTH at http://www.finishlineperformance.com...01-08-1887.pdf. I wish I could find it for the FEH, which I assume covers 2005 - 2008. I have been trying to find the TSB that applies to my 2006 FEH, but I have no had any luck yet after a few hours of searching. If I knew for sure that one of the websites that posts Recalls/TSBs for a small subscription fee definitely had the Service Bulletin, and Ford would agree to pay for at least the part based on the TSB, I would subscribe to the website. I will continue to try for a little while longer.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The Hybrid components are covered by either an 8 year 120K or a 10 year 150K warranty. Since the door is for the hybrid traction battery, I'm surprised that it isn't covered under the hybrid warranty. The door opens to help cool the traction battery.
We all follow your logic...any component unique to the hybrid systems (especially HVBattery cooling or eCVT cooling) would seem to qualify for the extended coverage. BUT, the warranty language is specific. Three items are extended covered: HVBattery, eCVT, DC-DC converter.

Quite possibly the two (or three) most expensive components in the truck.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Bryan - Unfortunately, that link does not work. I appreciate the effort, and am glad I could provide the pricing information, so you can make a decision on the extended warranty.

The closest that I have come to obtaining an actual Service Bulletin is regarding the 2008 MTH at http://www.finishlineperformance.com...01-08-1887.pdf. I wish I could find it for the FEH, which I assume covers 2005 - 2008. I have been trying to find the TSB that applies to my 2006 FEH, but I have no had any luck yet after a few hours of searching. If I knew for sure that one of the websites that posts Recalls/TSBs for a small subscription fee definitely had the Service Bulletin, and Ford would agree to pay for at least the part based on the TSB, I would subscribe to the website. I will continue to try for a little while longer.
Humm not sure why. I don't think you have to join to see that sub forum. Here's a link to the thread, I guess I can cross post since I mentioned the original source:

TSB 07-25-12

12/24/07

WRENCH LIGHT ON-DTC B1239

FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a wrench light on with DTC B1239. This may or may not be accompanied by driveability symptoms including reduced power.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the Traction Battery Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator.

1. Remove the left hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05.

2. Remove the four (4) battery air[low duct screws, the one (1) pin-type retainer and remove the battery air[low duct assembly.

3. Remove the two (2) auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct nuts and remove the duct.
NOTE
THE D-PILLAR BRACKET WILL REMAIN IN PLACE.

4. Remove two (2) upper climate control housing bolts and two (2) lower climate control housing nuts.

5. Position the climate control housing to gain access to the auxiliary mode door actuator.

6. Disconnect the auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector.

7. Remove the auxiliary air[low mode door actuator screws.

8. Remove and replace the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator. Inspect actuator for free movement from any obstructions including the wiring harness.

9. Install the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).
NOTE
THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING MUST BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE LOWER PORTION OF THE D-PILLAR BRACKET. WHEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY, THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING BOLT WILL GO THROUGH THE D-PILLAR BRACKET FIRST, THEN THROUGH THE HOUSING MOUNTING LOCATION.

10. Connect auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector and position back the climate control housing.

11. Install two (2) upper climate control housing bolts. Tighten to 62 lb-in (7 N.m).

12. Install two (2) lower climate control housing nuts. Tighten to 53 lb-in (6 N.m).

13. Install the auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct and tighten nuts to 62 lb-in (7 N.m).

14. Install the battery airflow duct assembly, one (1) pin-type retainer and the four (4) screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).

15. Install the lefi hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

16. Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B52.5 and higher with Patch 7. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Parts Block
8L8Z-19E616-E: Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator

OPERATION: 072512A
DESCRIPTION: 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Replace The Auxiliary Airflow Mode Door Actuator, And Reprogram The Traction Battery Control Module, Includes Time To Check For DTCs
TIME: 1.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.: RECAL
CONDITION CODE: 04
and
(click on thumbnails to enlarge)

Bulletin No.: 07-001/08

Last Issued: 1/14/2008

Subject:
HYBRID - WRENCH LIGHT ON - B1239 SET

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINs
2008 Tribute Hybrid

DESCRIPTION
Some 2008 Tribute Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a wrench light on with DTC B1239 set. This may or may not be accompanied by driveability symptoms.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.

2. Remove the 2 pin-type retainers and the rear door scuff plate trim panel.

3. Position the liftgate weather-strip aside.

4. If equipped, remove the cargo net hold-down.

5. Insert a tape-wrapped screwdriver between the D-pillar trim panel and rear quarter trim panel to release the retainers and remove the rear quarter trim panel.

6. Remove the D-pillar trim panel.

7. Remove the four (4) battery airflow duct screws, the one (1) pin-type retainer and remove the battery airflow duct assembly.

8. Remove the two (2) auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct nuts and remove the duct.
NOTE:
The "D" pillar bracket will remain in place.

9. Remove two (2) upper climate control housing bolts and two (2) lower climate control housing nuts.

10. Position the climate control housing to allow access to the auxiliary mode door actuator. DO NOT REMOVE.

11. Remove the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws and remove and replace the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator.

12. Inspect auxiliary airflow mode door actuator and mode door linkage for free movement from any obstructions including the wiring harness.

13. Install the modified auxiliary airflow mode door actuator. Tighten screws to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).
NOTE:
^ The auxiliary climate control housing must be installed behind the lower portion of the D-pillar bracket. When installed correctly, the auxiliary climate control housing bolt will go through the d-pillar bracket first, then through the housing mounting location.

14. Position the climate control housing to installed position and install screws/nuts.

15. Install the battery airflow duct assembly, one (1) pin-type retainer and the four (4) screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2N.m).

16. Install the left rear D-pillar trim panel and rear quarter trim panel.

17. Using IDS 52.4 or later software, reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure for the BCM.
WARNING:
^ During BCM module programming, you will be instructed to remove and install the High Voltage Service Disconnect from the battery pack located in the trunk. To prevent injury or death, review the HIGH-VOLTAGE TRACTION BATTERY SYSTEMS DEPOWERING - HYBRID procedure PRIOR to performing BCM module programming.

NOTE:
^ Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for TBCM reprogramming.
^ It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during BCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the BCM terminals and cause the BCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.
^ IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the BCM.
^ Please be aware that BCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.
^ When reprogramming a BCM, IDS will always display the "latest" calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
^ When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery located in the engine compartment and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.

18. After performing the BCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.
NOTE:
^ If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.
^ After BCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to relearn" KAM (Keep Alive Memory).

19. Verify repair.

HIGH-VOLTAGE TRACTION BATTERY SYSTEMS DEPOWERING - HYBRID
WARNING:
^ The nominal high-voltage traction battery (HVTB) voltage is 330 volts DC. The buffer zone must be set up and high-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.
^ The high-voltage traction battery and charging system contains high-voltage components and wiring. High-voltage cables and wiring are orange in color. High-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn when carrying out any diagnostics on this vehicle. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.
^ Before carrying out any removal and installation procedures of the high-voltage traction battery system, the high-voltage traction battery must be depowered. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.
^ The high-voltage insulated safety gloves that are to be worn while working on the high-voltage system should be of the appropriate safety and protection rating for use on the high-voltage system. They must be inspected before use and must always be worn in conjunction with the leather outer glove. Any hole in the rubber insulating glove is a potential entry point for high-voltage. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.
^ High-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn when working with high-voltage cables. The ignition switch must be OFF for a minimum of 5 minutes before removing high-voltage cables. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.

The buffer zone is required only when working with the high-voltage system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.

1. Set up buffer zone around the vehicle.
a. Position the vehicle in the repair bay.
b. Position 4 orange cones around the corners of the vehicle to mark off a 1 m (3 ft) perimeter around the vehicle.
c. Do not allow any unauthorized personnel into the buffer zone during repairs involving the high-voltage system. Only personnel trained for repair on the high-voltage system are to be permitted in the buffer zone.

2. Remove the service disconnect plug.
a. Rotate the service disconnect plug from the lock (1) position to the unlock (2) position.
b. Remove the service disconnect plug and place in the servicing shipping (3) position.

3. Insert the service disconnect plug into the servicing shipping position. This disconnects the HVTB.
CAUTION:
Place the service disconnect plug into the servicing shipping position while the high-voltage traction battery (HVTB) is being removed and/or while the high-voltage system is having repairs carried out. If the service disconnect plug is left out and placed on the bench or tool - box, dirt or other contaminants may enter the HVTB, which can cause damage.

4. To connect, reverse the disconnect procedure.

CALIBRATION INFORMATION
New TBCM Calibration Part Number: 8M64-10B687-AG

NOTE:
^ The TBCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for TBCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual TBCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a TBCM as part of this repair procedure.

PART(S) INFORMATION
ZZCB-61-B8Z - Auxiliary Door Mode Actuator - Qty. 1

NOTE:
^ The TBCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for TBCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual TBCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a TBCM as part of this repair procedure.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Warranty Type: A
Symptom Code: 6X
Damage Code: 97
Part Number Main Cause: ZZCB-61-B8Z
Quantity: 1
Operation Number / Labor Hours: YY492XRX / 1.1 Hrs.

NOTE:
^ This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
^ Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the information, Bryan! The link did not work when using my home computer last night, but it worked when using my office computer this afternoon.

When I was calling the service advisor this morning, she was calling me. She was calling to let me know my FEH was ready. Considering she said they had to order the part yesterday, I am a bit skeptical that they were able to get the part and have it installed by 9:11 a.m. this morning, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I told her I was calling because I felt Ford should at least cover the cost of the part due to the TSB. She said they approved these kinds of repairs in the past, but they have stopped due to their financial situation. I am not sure there is anything else I can do to recoup some of my out-of-pocket cost. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get to the dealership before the service department closes.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Per the invoice, they replaced the Blend Door Actuator and Reprogrammed the Battery Control Module. The cost was $242.59, which included $31.48 for the part and $197.38 for labor ($55.27 & $142.11).

According to the Service Bulletin, labor is 1.1-hours. That is $179.44 per hour! I picked up my FEH after the service department closed, so I will be calling them tomorrow to find out the labor rate.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 AM

Per the invoice, they replaced the Blend Door Actuator and Reprogrammed the Battery Control Module. The cost was $242.59, which included $31.48 for the part and $197.38 for labor ($55.27 & $142.11).

According to the Service Bulletin, labor is 1.1-hours. That is $179.44 per hour! I picked up my FEH after the service department closed, so I will be calling them tomorrow to find out the labor rate.
I've had bad experiences in the past with Ford service, just not doing it they way I think it should be done. I had a rear truck window replaced, left the black goopy stuff in the bed. Had a driver window motor replaced (they broke the window and luckily didn't make me pay for seeing how they could make up any story) but scratched the molding around the window (Made them fix that!) & forgot to reconnect the power mirror cables, and the door still has a slight rattle at times, to lazy to tear into it myself. many other stories too, but with our FEH's where else we gonna go?!

I assumed it was $55 labor & $142 reprogramming fee! but this makes it seem all inclusive:
Replace The Auxiliary Airflow Mode Door Actuator, And Reprogram The Traction Battery Control Module, Includes Time To Check For DTCs
TIME: 1.1 Hrs.
Let us know! Doesn't sound like a DIY project as we can't reprogram the car!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Having known someone that works in a Ford Dealership. Fords "estimates" of how long it takes to do a job leave a LOT to be desired. Because its also used as a maximum the dealership can charge Ford itself for reimbursement on Warranty repairs, Ford likes to cut the number of hours to do a job to pretty much an impossible task. It almost always takes more time then they allow.

That being said.... the labor rates dealerships charge per hour are pretty darn close to excessive. I've heard that the labor rate per hour is higher because they have to make up for the lost money on warranty work but WOW... I remember when I was younger thinking $40/hr was high.... now thats the price for the guy working in a shack using a five gallon bucket as a jackstand.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

I would ask if any of this work on your Hybrid required a Hybrid Tech. If it takes a Hybrid tech it should be covered in your Hybrid warranty.
Make Cents??

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
I would ask if any of this work on your Hybrid required a Hybrid Tech. If it takes a Hybrid tech it should be covered in your Hybrid warranty.
Make Cents??
Thats a wee bit too easy. The warranty has SPECIFIC wording as to what is covered. It doesn't say "whatever takes a hybrid tech to fix is covered". Therefore its up to whats in the warranty writing as to what is covered and thats that.

Unfortunately when it comes to legalese, what makes sense isn't necessarily what applies.

Quick Reply: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands