Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Originally Posted by kirkster57
Same exact thing happend to me this past Sunday. . . ..
By the sounds of it, this sounds like it's not an freak occurance. Could this be a potential recall issue involving a whole group of Fusion Hybrids?
I never would have known there was a problem had I not floored the accelerator on Sunday.
Well, I had the dealership drain my oil to 1/4 quart below the top fill line, after being overfilled by ~ 1/4-1/3 quart above the top fill line. I finally mustered the courage to test it again, and to my delight no blue cloud. I had a maybe 50 second interval in EV then turned right and stepped on it--no problem. I'm going to see if maybe I fooled myself and didn't really step on it too abruptly. I don't want hurt the transmission, etc. But I'm pretty sure I got very close to pedal to the metal, just no in 0.1 seconds. I'll do one more test and if okay, I think I'm good to go. I hope it's not a huge recall issue. It is CLEARLY a safety issue at the barest minimum, since when this happens, you lose considerable power, at least I did. Revved up, but less HP to the wheels.

Noel

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 PM

i am taking my fusion hybrid to the dealer monday, they are going to try and diagnose the blue smoke problem. My only concern about this blue smoke if you check your exhaust you will find black soot inside the end of the tailpipe. i believe that is usually caused by the engine burning oil. of course this might tie into the oil overflow problem.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed a lot of black soot as well. Let's keep each other posted on the findings (remedy).

Originally Posted by twallace33@cfl.rr.com
i am taking my fusion hybrid to the dealer monday, they are going to try and diagnose the blue smoke problem. My only concern about this blue smoke if you check your exhaust you will find black soot inside the end of the tailpipe. i believe that is usually caused by the engine burning oil. of course this might tie into the oil overflow problem.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kirkster57
I noticed a lot of black soot as well. Let's keep each other posted on the findings (remedy).
My oil level has not gone down at all, in fact I just thought to check it, and it's been around 1200 miles since my last oil change, and dang if it isn't FULL to the top line! This is very telling because the dealer believed he had lowered the oil level to 1/4 qt down from full as instructed. Obviously there was considerable oil still not full drained into the oil pan when it was 'verified'. I think it's reasonable to assume the car is not burning oil. See how yours looks. If you are seeing what you believe is evidence of burning oil, you have to think your oil level should be dropping some.

BTW, 45.8mpg and still slowly increasing.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

I don't think it takes musch to create a bunch of smoke, so the effect on the oil level would be minimal. My dealer dosn't think the oil level is the issue. The error codes from the check engine light will hopefully tell something. I tried "gunning" the car again last night and the same result, smoke pouring out the back. It has to be oil. It's very thick and just hangs behind. Hopfully will know something in a couple of days.

Originally Posted by ncp10
My oil level has not gone down at all, in fact I just thought to check it, and it's been around 1200 miles since my last oil change, and dang if it isn't FULL to the top line! This is very telling because the dealer believed he had lowered the oil level to 1/4 qt down from full as instructed. Obviously there was considerable oil still not full drained into the oil pan when it was 'verified'. I think it's reasonable to assume the car is not burning oil. See how yours looks. If you are seeing what you believe is evidence of burning oil, you have to think your oil level should be dropping some.

BTW, 45.8mpg and still slowly increasing.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

My argument is not that it takes a of oil to create a burst of blue smoke, but that IF there were a chronic oil burning condition one would expect the oil level to fall. If you are only seeing oil burning when the car is gunned, then one has to look at the cause for that condition. There is no question in my mind there IS NOT chronic oil burning in my car, only what occurs the one time when it was gunned after a long coast in EV. As I say, I'll try it again and see.

My oil level was what I thought was 1/4 to 1/3 qt overfilled when I looked at the dip at the dealer's after the oil change. When they drained it and rechecked it, it was 1/4 qt below. 1,200 miles later, after letting the car sit 9h in the garage at home, it was full to the brim. I'm guessing it was over a 1/2qt overfilled now, when I had the blue smoke event we are describing. The check engine light should only verify emissions troubles, which you will certainly have with that much oil burning. It is a troublesome issue though who could argue. As I say tho, I did the punch it test with no smoke not long ago, so I'm still banking on overfilled oil as the culprit. Also, I think this engine takes considerable time for even warm oil to 'settle' all the way down so that the dip is an accurate measure of oil filling. And this may also by why it is prone to burning smoke under this scenario: something is not allowing the oil to fall full back into the oil pan quick enough. Can't wait to hear what you find out. Whatever it is, it appears to be something that might be a true design issue, rather than an issue with a particular car. I am so unaccustomed to gunning it that it has taken 18K miles to manifest this issue.

Also, when you did you test, were you in a prolonged coast in EV prior to stepping on it? I at first thought this was unburned gasoline, flooding the combustion chambers, after a long EV mode.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

i will keep you updated on what the dealer finds out.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Guys, I called the problem in post #5 here in this thread. It was oil overfill then and it's oil overfill now. Noel started this thread with just telling us about the blue smoke.

I only added one quart overfill because that was what was remaining after I drained the old oil on my first oil change in the 2.5L engine. Even with just one quart over, my engine didn't smoke when I floored it like yours. Your oil must be over one quart too high!. Again, the oil level is full when the oil level is in between the middle of Add and Max mark on the dipstick. I can't believe how stupid your dealerships are.

GaryG

Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Well....car has been in the shop since 7AM CST. No word yet. Stay tuned for updates.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Here is what the shop told me. The error code they got when the check engine light came on indicated a misfire problem realted to the ignition coil. They have ordered that part, will replace it and retest to see if that fixes the problem. I'm not quite sure how that relates to the blue smoke upon hard acceleration, but then again I'm not a mechanic. Stay tuned

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands