Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Fusion Hybrid (Lincoln MKZ) (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-fusion-hybrid-lincoln-mkz-81/)
-   -   Water Pump Replacement (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-fusion-hybrid-lincoln-mkz-81/water-pump-replacement-29156/)

howudodat 10-10-2013 06:37 PM

Water Pump Replacement

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking for some help on replacing the water pump on my 2010 FFH. The repair manual makes it look too simple, of course. It says simply remove the coolant reservoir and voila a few bolts later the water pump comes right out. HAH. I cant even get my hands in there to work on it.

Tips anyone?
Peter

lolder 10-11-2013 08:42 PM

Re: Water Pump Replacement

Are you sure you have the manual for the hybrid? It looks like the DC to DC converter might be in the way. If it's the right manual, when you get the reservoir and hose out of the way maybe it's accessible. Why do you need to change it? That's pretty soon and is covered in the US by the power train 5yr./60,000 m. warranty.

howudodat 10-12-2013 07:33 AM

the cd says it's for the Fusion Hybrid :)
After removing the reservoir I had just barely enough room to get the pulley off, and the pump unscrewed. But now I can get the pump to budge at all. Pulled all 3 screws and it just wont move

yes it probably would be covered by the warranty, but I'm 40k miles past the warranty :) She just turned 100k

Peter

lolder 10-12-2013 03:53 PM

It may be stuck on a gasket.

Bill Winney 11-15-2013 02:47 PM

I just replaced mine in a 2006 FEH @192,000. Did it on GP.

The pump is very hard to get out. The O-ring that seals the pump body holds it tightly in the bore making the pull very difficult. You have to pull virtually straight out, which is almost impossible given the very limited access.

I broke off all three bolting tabs. I had to come up from the bottom and down from the top to walk it out. In the end used a prybar against the triangular mount plate for the pulley.

You'll find the replacement pump is slightly smaller and will go in easily. It doesn't take much to make it easy.

I put a dab of anti-seize on the new pump body, so that next time it'll be a touch easier... If this one goes 192,000 before replacement it may take awhile before I post that replacement!

howudodat 11-25-2013 10:13 AM

I finally got the old pump out by using my air chisel with a dull tip. The high speed tapping of the air chisel allowed the pump to vibrate out.

Peter