Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Additional Source of Power (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/additional-source-power-597/)

mastersgtbob 06-08-2004 09:54 PM

Since it takes at least two sources of power for a car to be considered a Hybrid, I was wondering if an additional source could be included? I suggest that solar power be added. I would find a reasonable spot on the car ie., the top where a sun roof is normally located and have enough panels to generate enough power to run the hybrid for day time driving. Once darkness falls, then the hybrid battery takes over for night time driving. I would think that the mileage would increase. Where would the energy be stored for day time driving?,....... why use the same battery for night time driving. This is just a suggestion to increase the mileage.

Jason 06-08-2004 10:01 PM

This had already been considered, but after some quick calculations we found that solar power isn't near enough. It would take all day of baking in the sun to go just a few miles. Not to mention, the panel would kill aerodynamics.

its_a_gift 06-25-2004 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Jason@Jun 9th 2004 @ 12:01 AM
This had already been considered, but after some quick calculations we found that solar power isn't near enough. It would take all day of baking in the sun to go just a few miles. Not to mention, the panel would kill aerodynamics.
not that i disagree with you, but i've seen a 600lb solar car run purely on solar power at 25 mph

Jason 06-25-2004 11:33 AM

Sure, but we don't have 600lb cars. I really don't know how much the Prius ways, but say I guess 2400lb? Divide the speed by 4, and you have 6MPH. :) Realistic?

xcel 06-25-2004 01:56 PM

Hi Jason:

___2,890 actually …

___As for the Solar racers, 600 #’s of them are mostly propulsion including the solar panels and electric motors. There isn’t much in the way of suspension, air bags, A/C - climate control, 4 and 5 star crash/safety ratings, 100 mph capability … you know, stuff like that ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Stevo12886 06-25-2004 04:34 PM

Wayne,
Rats! You beat me to the weight. Solar panels could be used to power some accesories though.
Cheers,
Steven

texashchman 06-27-2004 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Stevo12886@Jun 25th 2004 @ 6:34 PM
Wayne,
Rats! You beat me to the weight. Solar panels could be used to power some accesories though.
Cheers,
Steven

Love to see some type of solar assisted A/C. I hate to run the A/C as it is hard on the mpg's. Kevin

Stevo12886 06-27-2004 03:09 PM

Kevin,
I remember seeing on a show that one of the AMG Mercedes has a solar powered A/C that runs while the car is parked keeping it cool.
Cheers,
Steven

Çhý££ íñ thé Ãír 07-27-2004 03:12 AM

A solar powered A/C would be a very neat trick :D . I don't know how much energy an A/C takes, but I'd imagine they could use a very small, lightweight, inexpensive system for it, rather than trying to power the wheels. I'd imagine you could also use it for lighting, stereo, and other interior convenience options too. If they could integrate it into the body well, it would be almost no loss in aerodynamics other than slightly more frontal area.

innkeeper 07-27-2004 01:37 PM

A solar powered A/C would be a very neat trick
hmm
you could make the solar panel big enough to block out direct sunlight keeping it cooling needs lower, and it could act as a airfiol to make the car lighter at highway speeds to increase mileage.

hmm now about those crosswinds....[picturing the flying nun] :P