Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Comments on Mileage Database (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/comments-mileage-database-2186/)

Jason 05-11-2005 12:26 PM

Comments on Mileage Database

Here's an interesting thread at another forum about our mileage database. Take a look at what others are saying :P

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1983232

lars-ss 05-11-2005 12:31 PM

Re: Comments on Mileage Database

Well, they seem pretty skeptical of our MPG numbers over there...kinda sad how cynical people can be....Of course, they worship the TDI, so that's not really unexpected, is it? :)

Jason 05-11-2005 12:37 PM

Yes, they are skeptical. I think we're always going to have somewhat of an issue because this is a voluntary sample, but once we start getting in the upper hundreds for each vehicle, people will have a little more trust.

texashchman 05-11-2005 01:48 PM

I agree Jason some seem to be very skeptical. They keep saying that Hybrids are like 4000 more than the same model thats not one. Well I told them thats not always the case. I guess they are mad because diesel costs are now more than reg. gas.lol

tbaleno 05-11-2005 01:52 PM

I wonder what they would say if I took them for a nice 7 hour drive and got 60+ mpg in my civic. If I can get 60 in a civic why can't an insight get 90+. They just can't face reality that their TDIs can't achieve the same numbers. They used to be able to say their cars got the best mileage. Obviously this is no longer the case.

I wonder if anyone puts in inflated numbers. It its possible, but I think most people use it for their own records more than as a score board.

ericbecky 05-11-2005 03:49 PM

Why don't people actual dig deeper into the data. Or better yet, just ask me about it. If they were in the Madison, WI I'd be even happier to show them.

And by the way...82 mpg on the way home tonight.
72 mpg last tank. (I still have to enter it.)

edited to add: I have now entered the latest tank. Yipee it moved my average up to 67!

xcel 05-11-2005 06:03 PM

Hi All:

___If only some of the more pessimistic of the TDI owners responding in that thread at VW Vortex would come to understand the hybrid capabilities better, they might also learn how to achieve far better FE over a segment, tank, and/or lifetime vs. whatever they are achieving now as well … This is a huge loss for them as well as us :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

tbaleno 05-11-2005 08:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing today. Pretty much that if they used the info on this site and saw how drasticly they could improve there own mpg they wouldn't doubt at all any of the numbers.

EricGo 05-11-2005 09:26 PM

I am under the impression that the Insight shows lifetime mpg on the display. Perhaps a couple of pictures over in the share section are in order.

I'm currently working on my best tank so far -- 64.4 mpg, 280 city miles into the tank. Not exceptional, but good enough for a picture, I think.

ericbecky 05-12-2005 07:05 AM

Even seeing pictures it's hard for people to believe. There are some pretty good photshop artists out there so sometimes people do not believe pictures either.