Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Future of Shell gasoline …

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Future of Shell gasoline …

Here in NZ we have taken the lead out of our gas. Since that was done the gas starts going off after about 6 weeks. We have had cases of boats being stranded out in the harbour due to every thing getting gumed up. Even my lawn mower died and had to be cleaned out as the gas went off. So a country gas station could have old gas that will effect the economy as the octane decreases.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

To reiterate the point about gas being gas. Any station can get a "bad" batch of gas - doesn't happen a lot, but it can happen. In general, you're probably better off choosing a station that does a lot of business - they turn their inventory over frequently, and if there is a bad batch, someone else is likely to have found it and gone back to complain. Also, if you see the truck at the station, move on because a recently filled underground tank is likely to have more sediment stirred up.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Future of Shell gasoline …

I don't know who gets their info from ...........

I use the following..
  • BP ( Formerally Standard, SOHIO, BORON, American )
  • Shell
  • Meijer
  • Sams Club ( membership required )
The Oil I use is a BP aka Castrol Synthetic 10W-30

I was in discussion with a GM Engineer awhile back and the problem with mixing fuels weather E-95 , or some other name, the employee working at the Station does not follow mixing instructions !! Bio-Diesel is all done at the refinery again mixing ratio.

I drive a 2002 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 L DOHC , I also used to sell Lubricants from a Texas Based Company in the Ft Worth Area ( I believe now closed ) I mainly drive this car without problems, I previously driven 4 bangers and sold them when it was close to 200,000 or more miles.

you can pump cheap gas in the engine and run cheap oil but if you have sludge , varnish, and other garbage gunked up thats the old saying you get what you pay for ! anyone recalled the White Generic Oil ?

also another thing the fuel station owner look at the fuel hose its it fairly new ? or does it have cracks in the hose where you can see the metal braid ? if the station looks like a Pig Sty and the restroom looks & stinks reflects the ownership and management. also when you see the gas spitting back out the saftey release did not let go, betcha your gas was cheapo fuel.

And whats worse like the time I stopped at one of those ma & pa stations and some driver you know the Hillbilly type spills his gas about 1 gallon, its time to leave before someone throws a cigarette butt in the gas !

( that was with my older car )

I am a little more cautious when buying gas. and I observe people.

If its a hillbilly town I don't bother with it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Future of Shell gasoline …

Originally Posted by Spaceship
Here in NZ we have taken the lead out of our gas. Since that was done the gas starts going off after about 6 weeks. We have had cases of boats being stranded out in the harbour due to every thing getting gumed up. Even my lawn mower died and had to be cleaned out as the gas went off. So a country gas station could have old gas that will effect the economy as the octane decreases.

The reason they took lead out of the fuel is that Leaded fuel if you look at this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra-ethyl_lead ,

also this is interesting as well also

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/gen99615.htm

this will give you some solid information since removing leaded fuel this chevron link offer some information as well..

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...eaded_gas.aspx

You may wish to do a google search on fuels and engines, I used to sell lubes and worked 12 years in the Heavy Duty Transportation dealerships technology is continually changing.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Well Mark,

Down here in "Hillbilly Heaven", most of us prefer to pump fuel that is not labeled "ethanol added". I use Chevron (first choice), BP or Exxon. The two times that I had to buy Shell gas (long road trip) my mileage was off by a large percentage. My go to oil is Mobil 1, I maintain my own cars (my version of R & R) and I don't even own a tractor....

Of course living in a "redneck" town of 2,500 (county seat) I don't get to see much of the "big city" types other than trying to tell them not to stop in the middle of the road when they see a squirrel or a deer on the side of the road. By the way, when is the rest of the country going to learn that it is spelled "Jawja" and not "Georgia"???

Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

every time I've done a close comparison, Chevron has given me the best mileage. Sometimes the price difference has made cheaper gas slightly cheaper per mile, but very rarely. On my 5.0L (that's the old 305) V8 Mountaineer, and usually on the 4.0L V-6 Explorers I've owned, it paid to buy premium (92oct). Costco gas is the most frustrating for me because it can be 20% per gallon cheaper, and my gas mileage usually goes down as much.

It might not make sense to a lot of people, all I do is the calculations.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting. I always assumed gasoline was gasoline.