Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

LOL, my goal for the summer? Reach 35 for a tank average.

Filled up today, 400 Miles, 36 MPGs. Guess I'll have to shoot for 40 as my summer goal, like Gary said I should.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
YA RLY.

Meh. The last week has been cold mornings and lots of windy afternoons. Doesn't look like I'll be getting 55 MPG for this tank. Looks more like low 50's. Again I say meh

Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Low 50s is nothing to say meh about, even if you were hoping for better things. Don't be too disappointed! Just reflect that the people who should be saying meh are the other drivers on the road who aren't doing half as well as you are.

I'm hovering around 50 myself despite hoping for a bit better numbers on this tank, but the chill and wind you're getting in Michigan must be coming right across Lake Michigan from Chicago, because it's been iffy here.

I wonder if night driving makes much difference to FE? I often leave work very late and make the second half of my commute well after dark, when the heat of the day is over and it's colder than it would be. Not as much traffic or stop-and-go, but cooler temperatures- it might even out. By summer I'll probably be glad of it.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Low 50s is nothing to say meh about
Would you prefer I say "Ni!"?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

I wonder if night driving makes much difference to FE? I often leave work very late and make the second half of my commute well after dark, when the heat of the day is over and it's colder than it would be. Not as much traffic or stop-and-go, but cooler temperatures- it might even out. By summer I'll probably be glad of it.

Somewhat.

At the FEH Experience, they discussed the effects of headlights and cooler temperatures. Both eat away slightly at your FE, though if your commute is long enough, the cooler temperatures can be counteracted by the longer trip.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Being in Houston, I've haven't been looking forward to spring, especially with a pregnant wife and 90% humidity. I've had to use the A/C a lot, and I'm averaging 41 mpg so far on this tank. I guess only six more months till fall, right?

Jeff

Old 04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sledge: you can say meh if you want, or Beans! as my grandmother would exclaim. I was mostly trying to cheer you up. But you seem pretty cheerful, so I won't worry about it. Summer is on the way!

Pravus Prime: Good point about the headlights. They do use some energy, but not as much as the AC or the fan. More than the radio, you think? My commute is 22 miles door to door, so low temperature isn't AS big of a problem, but it's not nothing. I can't wait for hot weather and sunny days and sandals, grass and flowers, buds and new leaves. It's all going to be so much more enjoyable in a nice quiet HCH or with the engine off at a stoplight, listening to the songbirds in the sky.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Pravus Prime: Good point about the headlights. They do use some energy, but not as much as the AC or the fan. More than the radio, you think? My commute is 22 miles door to door, so low temperature isn't AS big of a problem, but it's not nothing. I can't wait for hot weather and sunny days and sandals, grass and flowers, buds and new leaves. It's all going to be so much more enjoyable in a nice quiet HCH or with the engine off at a stoplight, listening to the songbirds in the sky.

As I said, we got a breakdown at the FEH Experience. (This is for the FEH, naturally, the HCH will vary.)

Radio .1 MPG
Rear Defrost .8 MPG
Headlights .9 MPG
Fan on High 1.3 MPG

The AC at low speeds can be as much as 20% lower FE, while at 65 and above aaround 10% drain.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Woo-hoo, 37.1 MPG, a new personal best!

I'm loving this warm!

Old 04-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default I know nobody cares, but...

39.3mpg and 482mi when I filled up this afternoon! And what a nice day it is

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands