Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Highway mileage in cold temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Default Re: Highway mileage in cold temperatures

Originally Posted by DebbieKatz
An update - it's been a week since I covered up the grille of my FEH, & I've been very pleased with the results.

During my regular Monday-Friday commute, my mileage gradually increased - at one point, it got as high as 42.1mpg, according to the NAV display - & on Friday I finished up with 40.5.

Then on Saturday we drove down to Roscoe, IL (about 76 miles from Milwaukee) for the afternoon. The temperatures were in the 40's, so I turned the heat all the way up & kept an eye on the dash display for the temperature light (I *really* miss having a temp gauge!) as I turned it down, one notch at a time. When we got there the NAV display showed 38.8mpg, & when we got home, it showed 37.0mpg.

I know this is pretty good for this time of year & driving on the highway, especially through some pretty hilly country, but I really miss my 40+mpgs
That's great Debbie!

You don't know how much I'd love to see my wife push my FEH to those numbers in ideal driving conditions. Our friend Wayne put cardboard in front of John's radiator when he picked him up to drive to the Dearborn event in '05.

You have got to spring for a scangauge 2 for that temp gauge reading, and all of the other benifits it gives you. My SG reading is 43.5MPG and my navi is at 47.6mpg right now because of data dropped by the navi. When my FEH was in the body shop for ten days, I got my FEH back with a 23mpg tank average, but left it with a 47.9 tank average. I'm trying to recover my average, but I only have ~90 MTE on the dash now.

GaryG

Old 11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
FEH Tsaritsa

Thanks Gary!

Praise from you is praise indeed - you are the master

I feel like I'm definitely ready to graduate to a ScanGauge - it's just a matter of explaining to my husband why I need another gadget to watch instead of the road
While he's proud of my FE, he sometimes thinks I play with the displays too much (I flip back & forth between the FE & energy flow screens to gauge my progress.)

I have to give him a lot of credit for his patience with what he perceives as my weird new driving habits. And while I have told him that if he wants to take a turn at the wheel, all he has to do is ask, in the almost two years since we bought the FEH, he has never driven it - at first he said he didn't want to mess up my seat adjustment (he's 6'2", I'm 5'3"); now he says he doesn't want to mess up my FE

I read about your experience with the dealership knocking down your tank average, but if anyone can regain some decent mpg's, you can

Last edited by DebbieKatz; 11-19-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM

Debbie, I kept my Navi on battery level, and I've learned the scangauge readings till I try to improve the current MPG on a segment.

You are the master, you have a recorded MPG! God bless you Debbie!

GaryG

Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

For the few times that I need to block flow to the radiator, I usually put the cardboard between the radiator and the a/c condensor. There is usaually enough room to slide the cardboard in there, and the two "radiators" holds it nicely in place.

Also you might look at the plastic display boards sold at the crafts shops. They are usually more water proof than regular cardboard, and are not too expensive.

Heck, it even comes in black, so it wont really be viasble from through the grill if you can't sandwich it between the radiator and a/c condensor.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Highway mileage in cold temperatures

Originally Posted by ag4ever
. . .
Also you might look at the plastic display boards sold at the crafts shops. They are usually more water proof than regular cardboard, and are not too expensive. . . .
Pickup the used political signs, which are made of the same material and 'free'.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Pickup the used political signs, which are made of the same material and 'free'.

Bob Wilson

Yeah, but which affiliation provides the best benifit, Dem or Rep?

I might go indy.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Highway mileage in cold temperatures

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Yeah, but which affiliation provides the best benifit, Dem or Rep?

I might go indy.
Usually, some percentage of signs, usually by a challenger in their first run for office, will be printed only on one side. If you see a sign in a field with the back-side showing to the cattle, check. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Re: Highway mileage in cold temperatures

Has anyone covered the radiator on a '06 HCH ? Can it be done without taking anything apart ? Would it help ?

Old 12-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Even without MPG gauges, it was readily apparent when I attended college in Northern New York that fuel economy suffered greatly with cold temperatures, and that was for any conventional car.

It's a struggle for gasoline to vaporize when it is very cold, and that may be a big part of lower MPG's in cold weather. Gasoline suppliers reformulate to help this situation, but then the reformulation probably in itself hurts fuel economy.

I think it's safe to say that all cars get fewer MPG's in cold weather. Those of us with hybrids and MPG gauges are just more aware of this...

Harry